Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Greenburgh To Reduce Police Force

30 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure that they are elminating these positions through attrition, and hopefully not layoffs. Greenburgh cops are busy enough as it is AND when EMS is busy, there are less cops on the street....and now they're going to be down 6 officers and not fill open spots in the schedule.

Also, I've heard through the grapevine that the town also eliminated a civilian Paramedic position. This from the town with a bare-bones EMS service that has to rely heavily on mutual aid, and is overburdended as it is.

Greenburgh's trying to make things more efficient and lean as you can see in the letter, and although I agree with some of the cuts, it concerns me that the PD is considering elimanting 6 Police Officer positions and reducing staffing by overtime cuts.

Hopefully, one of these days we'll see the redundancies in emergency services in Greenburgh eliminated (this includes the villages), which would truly cut costs while being able to maintain staffing.

From the Town Of Greenburgh Town Supervisor's Email List:

http://www.greenburghny.com/Documents/2009...ve%20Budget.pdf

POLICE DEPARTMENT – The 2009 proposed budget reduces the number of police officer positions by approximately six. Overtime will be reduced as well.

5% REDUCTION IN TOWN FUNDING FOR LIBRARY - The new Library will receive a 5% funding cut. I do not anticipate major cuts in services to the library.
(just completed construction on a $30+ million new library, and Greenburgh has one of the worst school districts in the County, yet spends the most per student in the nation. Go figure!)

So are they laying people off or just not replacing people?

I gotta say, its hard to argue that you are short of manpower when you have a shopping cart retrieval unit... Greenburgh is a good department, but they could definitely use their resourses better.

I gotta say, its hard to argue that you are short of manpower when you have a shopping cart retrieval unit... Greenburgh is a good department, but they could definitely use their resourses better.

That's bull. I don't even know if this unit even exists, or if it's just a rumor. The Crossroads Shopping Center area in Fairvew a few years back was faced with people going to Caldor or K-Mart or Walmbaums and walking home with the shopping cart and dumping it in the street, next time they went shopping they didn't bring the cart back, instead they just stole a new one. There were shopping carts all over the side streets.

That's theft, and something that costs these businesses thousands of dollars a year. At the height of the situation, you couldn't even get a cart at these stores because they had none.

I won't disagree that some resources could be used better. However, there's more to this issue, don't read a book by the cover as they say.

Other than a quality of life issue, how is this a police problem to "round em up?" Shouldn't the stores put locking wheels or hire competent security? I don't live in Greenburgh, but I would be damned if my tax money went to rounding up private store carts.

That's bull. I don't even know if this unit even exists, or if it's just a rumor. The Crossroads Shopping Center area in Fairvew a few years back was faced with people going to Caldor or K-Mart or Walmbaums and walking home with the shopping cart and dumping it in the street, next time they went shopping they didn't bring the cart back, instead they just stole a new one. There were shopping carts all over the side streets.

That's theft, and something that costs these businesses thousands of dollars a year. At the height of the situation, you couldn't even get a cart at these stores because they had none.

I won't disagree that some resources could be used better. However, there's more to this issue, don't read a book by the cover as they say.

I'm doubtful this unit even exists, and it really is irrelevant to this whole converstation. If it was a unit, I'm sure there were some citations issued like possesion of stolen property. These businesses reported these carts as stolen, don't forget.

I'm doubtful this unit even exists, and it really is irrelevant to this whole converstation. If it was a unit, I'm sure there were some citations issued like possesion of stolen property. These businesses reported these carts as stolen, don't forget.

It actually wasn't a unit.... it was a cop who had his own business... He would drive around picking up the carts with his van and then return them to the stores for a per-cart fee... Don't remember his name though.

It actually wasn't a unit.... it was a cop who had his own business... He would drive around picking up the carts with his van and then return them to the stores for a per-cart fee... Don't remember his name though.

He's retired now so if he's doing it anymore it isn't on PD time.

He's retired now so if he's doing it anymore it isn't on PD time.

He did it all off-duty..... Sorry I didn't put that in my initial post....

that sounds like a dumb idea reducing Greenburgh police force they dont have enough manpower as it is .

Yonkers should take over Greenburgh...lol

They already did, just wasnt the police and fire that was taken over.

Not meaning to bring the subject up again, but what about having control of PD, FD and EMS all under the County of Westchester, Department of Public Saftey/Emergency Management Systems and REGIONALIZE all PD, FD, and EMS Services, as part of an agressive consolidtaion project? More Efficiency, Less Tax Payer Dollars Spent, Better Use of Equipment and Manpower. PROBLEM WITH THIS? The Unions will NEVER go for it.

Not meaning to bring the subject up again, but what about having control of PD, FD and EMS all under the County of Westchester, Department of Public Saftey/Emergency Management Systems and REGIONALIZE all PD, FD, and EMS Services, as part of an agressive consolidtaion project? More Efficiency, Less Tax Payer Dollars Spent, Better Use of Equipment and Manpower. PROBLEM WITH THIS? The Unions will NEVER go for it.

There's also that elephant in the room, "Home Rule"

Wait if they had one dept how would nepotism continue?

Great, lets get $250,000 in Salery and OT for Cops. While I agree in consolidation, County government can't stay out of the news for OT, cell phones, travel, cars, security details...etc.....

Edited by Bnechis

Great, lets get $250,000 in Salery and OT for Cops. While I agree in consolidation, County government can't stay out of the news for OT, cell phones, travel, cars, security details...etc....

Placing PD, FD, and EMS all under the "Total Direction" of a "Group of PD, FD, and EMS" that would make up a New WCDES Management Team, who would also take FULL CONTROL for the budget and allocation of All Overtime, i'd bet that Consoldiation would work. It works great in Baltimore County, Maryland and Gwinnett County, Geogia (Gwinnett County is almost identical in square miles and population as that of Westchester County). The only roadblock, and it is a HUGE ROADBLOCk, in my opinion, is the respective PD and FD Unions (and possibly local PD and FD Leaders who would have to give up hands on control). Taking the best PD and FD leadership, say from New Rochelle, White Plains, Mount Vernon, Yonkers, and other municipalies within the county, and create this new Management Group, makes too much sense.

what about the rumors about Dobbs Ferry police merging with Greenburg this could be the begging stage , because the RUMOR is this is a done deal by Febuary of 09. some of us residents in Dobbs have signed petitions requesting copies of the research Dobbs Ferry and Greenburg have done and we have been stonewalled by the mayor.The mayor is smart in Dobbs because if he doesn't use the word disband and calls it a merger we as residents have no right to vote on it.

Placing PD, FD, and EMS all under the "Total Direction" of a "Group of PD, FD, and EMS" that would make up a New WCDES Management Team, who would also take FULL CONTROL for the budget and allocation of All Overtime, i'd bet that Consoldiation would work. It works great in Baltimore County, Maryland and Gwinnett County, Geogia (Gwinnett County is almost identical in square miles and population as that of Westchester County). The only roadblock, and it is a HUGE ROADBLOCk, in my opinion, is the respective PD and FD Unions (and possibly local PD and FD Leaders who would have to give up hands on control). Taking the best PD and FD leadership, say from New Rochelle, White Plains, Mount Vernon, Yonkers, and other municipalies within the county, and create this new Management Group, makes too much sense.

That is not the only roadblock......HOME RULE.

I don't believe that law allows for a County-wide Police, Fire or EMS department. Remember, Suffolk and Nassau have police DISTRICTS, just like a Fire or EMS district. The residents of Suffolk and Nassau who are covered by SCPD pay a police district tax. Residents who are not in the district pay for the county police just we do here in Westchester, as part of overall county taxes. Remember that Georgia, for example, does not have incorporated areas outside of cities. The county police/fire/ems cover the area outside of cities, which would be equivalent to towns in NYS. There would have to be a special referendum to approve such a "group," as you put it.

It all makes sense to me. Crime is on the rise, perfect time to cut the number of cops!

:blink:

It all makes sense to me. Crime is on the rise, perfect time to cut the number of cops!

I suspect that since they are also cutting other dept budgets, this is not about the PD or Crime, its about cash. Every government in NYS is looking at reduced revenues.

How would you suggest they pay for the services?

Just wait, cuts are coming to all levels of government, its not about needs, its about what we can afford.

Also if (I say if because i dont know that it is) crime is on the rise and they have not had the cuts yet, why haven't GPD been effective in preventin it (and I'm not saying they are not effective, just asking since you brought it up).

Not to bring the shopping cart issue up again put I would like to set the record straight. The town of Greenburgh had a situation that Shopping carts were being taken from the stores and not returned and some of the stores did not go out and retrive the carts. The town passed an ordiance that the store owners had to have some type of plan so the carts would not leave the area of the parking lots. The carts created a hazadous condition by being left in stairwells, hallways, and on the street so it became a safety issue. The town would retrive the carts and then fine the stores. as for the police officer that retrivied the carts it was done on his own time. The city of White Plains, Port chester, Clarkstown, and I am sure many other cities have an ordiance on the books about shopping cart retrivial. so lets not get down on Greenburgh and let that particular issue rest.

Take a look on Tarrytown Road the disney world building they call a Library, cost overruns have put the Towns budget in a uproar. What a waste of money for such an outlandish style of design. Sleep tight the Library will be watching over you and we will have less police for the sake of a small percentage of book huggers. :o

Does Greenburgh PD still have an auxilliary force? And if so, what duties are they relegated to?

Not to bring the shopping cart issue up again put I would like to set the record straight...The town would retrive the carts and then fine the stores. as for the police officer that retrivied the carts it was done on his own time.

Ummmmmmm, not completely accurate...I worked at GPD up until a couple of years ago. The amount of calls that we received regarding the shopping carts was phenomenal! And no, at that time (and maybe things have changed recently) the cops who brought in the carts (yes, they were impounded!) did not do so on his own time.

Remembering the call volume over there, as well as all the "little extras" GPD officers were expected to do (vehicle lockouts, school crossings, and yes, the shopping carts, EMS coverage, as well as delivering the Town Board mail/notifications) hearing that they plan to reduce the # of cops is distressing, to say the least! I'm sure it hasn't gotten less busy!

That is not the only roadblock......HOME RULE.

I don't believe that law allows for a County-wide Police, Fire or EMS department. Remember, Suffolk and Nassau have police DISTRICTS, just like a Fire or EMS district. The residents of Suffolk and Nassau who are covered by SCPD pay a police district tax. Residents who are not in the district pay for the county police just we do here in Westchester, as part of overall county taxes. Remember that Georgia, for example, does not have incorporated areas outside of cities. The county police/fire/ems cover the area outside of cities, which would be equivalent to towns in NYS. There would have to be a special referendum to approve such a "group," as you put it.

The only district I'm aware of in Long Island is Port Washington PD. What law are you referring to? County Police/Sheriff's in NY have jurisdiction anywhere in their respective counties. As for Nassau County, each municipilty does pay a police tax. If NCPD provides full Police services your PD tax is higher. As for a village/city that maintains it's own PD the tax for county services (Detention, Aviation, ESU, Detectives, Emergency Ambulance Bureau) tax is significantly lower. Village/City PD provide patrol only and all investigative and specialties are provided by NCPD.

There would not have to be a "special referendum" to approve the same in Westchester. The municipalty would have to enter into a contract with the county.

As for Greenburgh cutting Police Officer's, it is a mistake considering they are a very professional police department that offers great services to the town.

Great, lets get $250,000 in Salery and OT for Cops. While I agree in consolidation, County government can't stay out of the news for OT, cell phones, travel, cars, security details...etc.....

It's not like the cops didn't work for it. Maybe you took the wrong test!

The only district I'm aware of in Long Island is Port Washington PD. What law are you referring to? County Police/Sheriff's in NY have jurisdiction anywhere in their respective counties. As for Nassau County, each municipilty does pay a police tax. If NCPD provides full Police services your PD tax is higher. As for a village/city that maintains it's own PD the tax for county services (Detention, Aviation, ESU, Detectives, Emergency Ambulance Bureau) tax is significantly lower. Village/City PD provide patrol only and all investigative and specialties are provided by NCPD.

There would not have to be a "special referendum" to approve the same in Westchester. The municipalty would have to enter into a contract with the county.

As for Greenburgh cutting Police Officer's, it is a mistake considering they are a very professional police department that offers great services to the town.

Nassau and Suffolk voted to form the County PDs. The tax for those covered by NCPD or SCPD is known as a "Police District" tax and the rest of the county pays police taxes. Suffolk PD does not have jurisidiction on the East End.

Nassau and Suffolk voted to form the County PDs. The tax for those covered by NCPD or SCPD is known as a "Police District" tax and the rest of the county pays police taxes. Suffolk PD does not have jurisidiction on the East End.

Are you sure? I'm almost certain that Suffolk County PD has jurisdiction - you guessed it - in all of Suffolk County. They may not staff the eastern end of the island very much because of Town PD's but they do have jurisdiction there.

Anyone from the island lurking about???

Are you sure? I'm almost certain that Suffolk County PD has jurisdiction - you guessed it - in all of Suffolk County. They may not staff the eastern end of the island very much because of Town PD's but they do have jurisdiction there.

Anyone from the island lurking about???

Chris,

I know that I've read that somewhere about SCPD. I know Suffolk Sheriff has countywide jursidiction.

I'll see if I can find it.