Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Lloyds Lumber In Hawthorne

22 posts in this topic

Maybe I'm imagining things, but in the pre-Home Depot era, my father and I used to go to Llyods Lumber on Route 9A in Hawthorne to pick up supplies for a Saturday project.

Later, this store became Tops Applianc City, and is now the Bloomingdale's Furniture.

Was Lloyds a chain? I find it ironic, that years later, there is a Home Depot thriving across the street.

In another irony, I had heard that Lloyd's used to be an ice skating rink that closed. There's now a thriving ice rink about 1/2 a mile away on 9A, across from where I first bowled at the "Elmsford Bowl" (now Sportstime)

I always thought the Lloyds building was in an obscure location.

Wasnt it crazy eddies first?

There was a Lloyds Lumber in Amenia too, one of my first calls was when they had a fire there, funny I was cleaning my shed out last spring and actually had some stuff with Lloyd lumber price tags on them.

Wasnt it crazy eddies first?

No, it was the ice skating rink first. When I was a Town Camp Counselor in the mid-seventies, we used to take the kids there. The place is now Bloomingdale's furniture outlet.

No, it was the ice skating rink first. When I was a Town Camp Counselor in the mid-seventies, we used to take the kids there. The place is now Bloomingdale's furniture outlet.

It was built to be an ice skating rink.... then transitioned into Lloyd's Lumber... then into Tops Appliance City, then into the current Bloomingdale's Furniture Outlet. It sat vacant for many years after Tops closed...

Tops was like Crazy Eddie's but without those insane commercials.

LLoyd's was a family operation owned by the Dill family that grew into a small chain. They had stores in Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, and Western CT. I beleive their HQ was in Danbury. They sold the business to a bigger corperation which ran it into the ground. Apparently when they sold the business they kept most of the real estate because they reopened several locations as Dill's Best. Recently the last remaining Dill's Best stores were sold to H G Page in Poughkeepsie.

I believe the cost of electricity was the downfall of the Ice Rink.

I believe it was a Llyods in Patterson near the fire house that burnt also (late 70's but thats a guess)

Excerpt from this website: http://www.historicpatterson.org/Exhibits/...es2-2.php#Lloyd

March, 1965, Lloyd Lumber completed construction of a new, much larger building, located behind the old building, with the entrance on NYS Route 311. The new structure was located approximately on the site of the present Benfield Electric warehouse. The new building used steel trusses to provide a fifty foot clear span, creating a large, 7,500 sq. ft. open selling floor. The Patterson Post Office moved into the old Lloyd space, but only occupied the space for a short time. An adjoining two story building continued to be used by Lloyd for storage. In October, 1967, a fire on the second floor of that building caused considerable damage, but was brought under control in ten minutes by the Patterson Fire Department. The Department arrived quickly with four pieces of equipment and 40 men, and extinguished the blaze which was confined to the 30 foot by 15 foot second floor space. The fire was fed by cardboard shipping cartons containing new cabinets, and the burning cartons created thick smoke. The Pawling Fire Dept. joined the Patterson Dept. after being summoned by a panicked onlooker, according to Patterson Fire Chief William J. Bubenicek.

Fire would destroy Lloyd Lumber again, this time the new store that was built in 1965. The store was rebuilt, but, on July 24, 1975, both the new Lloyd Lumber building and the adjoining Patterson Work Bench furniture store were completely destroyed by a quick moving fire that was reported at 6:30 PM on a Thursday evening. The fire started in the Lloyd building and spread to the furniture store. Firefighters from Patterson, Putnam Lake, Pawling, Brewster, and Lake Carmel responded with 200 men and 19 pieces of equipment. Two men from the Patterson department and two men from the Putnam Lake department were overcome by smoke and taken to the emergency room at Putnam Community Hospital in Carmel. Cleanup began the next day, and Lloyd's employees removed the undamaged goods that were stored outdoors. Lost were the 10,000 sq. ft. showroom, the attached warehouse, all adjoining storage buildings, and the separate building housing the furniture store.

How about Masters Department Store , pre Caldor. "Masters" was also on Rt 9a south of Lloyds Lumber. The site is now Greenburgh Multi-plex.

How about Masters Department Store , pre Caldor. "Masters" was also on Rt 9a south of Lloyds Lumber. The site is now Greenburgh Multi-plex.

I used to go to Master all the time with my grandmother! During their "heyday", they had everything! A toy department, pet department, etc.

LLoyd's was also in Beacon right on Main St and was destroyed by fire in 77-78ish. It is now the site of the Dutchess County Mental Health offices, DMV and I believe probation is in there as well.

don't forget where Sams club is was a drive in theater.

I remember once I was in Masters with my Mom and across the street (9A) at the drive in (Sams Club now) they were showing Jaws!!!!!!!! :P:P

For a brief time, when it was a skating rink, it was the New York Rangers practice facility.

After practice it was not uncommon to see the Rangers' players in local restaurants.

The ice skating center was appropriately named WISC -

Westchester Ice Skating Center

Crazy Eddie's used to be in the Dalewood Shopping Center on Central Ave.

Christmas Tree Shop is currently occuping the space

Crazy Eddie's used to be in the Dalewood Shopping Center on Central Ave.

Christmas Tree Shop is currently occuping the space

Actually, Christmas Tree Shop is in the old movie theater... Bed Bath and Beyond is where Crazy Eddie used to be.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but in the pre-Home Depot era, my father and I used to go to Llyods Lumber on Route 9A in Hawthorne to pick up supplies for a Saturday project.

Later, this store became Tops Applianc City, and is now the Bloomingdale's Furniture.

Was Lloyds a chain? I find it ironic, that years later, there is a Home Depot thriving across the street.

In another irony, I had heard that Lloyd's used to be an ice skating rink that closed. There's now a thriving ice rink about 1/2 a mile away on 9A, across from where I first bowled at the "Elmsford Bowl" (now Sportstime)

I always thought the Lloyds building was in an obscure location.

Yes it was a skating rink in mid-to late 70's. Used to go thier on Friday nights. Great place to pick up girls ;)

LLoyds in Mahopac burned as well. They did rebuild and eventually become Dills which has since closed. I believe it is a stone yard now.

Don't forget the whole area were the driving range and Grainger is used to be a great palce to ride dirt bikes. Masters did have everything 2 floors worth, can also remember the bowling lanes just up the street. At least the giant is still at the gas station down the street.

Could not resist this one Signman!!!!! :lol::P:wacko:

Pictured below is EMTBRAVO member Signman sporting his famous Lloyd Lumber t-shirt

post-16297-1226279660.jpg

he is in the rehab area during a structure fire at the Bog Hollow and before someone sees the regulator not connected on the pack to the left the FF just finished changing bottles

Edited by markmets415

Could not resist this one Signman!!!!! :lol::P:wacko:

Pictured below is EMTBRAVO member Signman sporting his famous Lloyd Lumber t-shirt

post-16297-1226279660.jpg

he is in the rehab area during a structure fire at the Bog Hollow and before someone sees the regulator not connected on the pack to the left the FF just finished changing bottles

:angry: YOU GOT TO MUCH FREE TIME ON YOUR HANDS

:angry: YOU GOT TO MUCH FREE TIME ON YOUR HANDS

There you go with the CAPS again, you should get some royalities for advertising for them!