Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

Ossining Chief Reprimanded for E-mail

7 posts in this topic

Journal News

While I agree that there is no place for hate in the workplace, I feel like some people need to lighten up.

If you read the article, this isn't the first time he's gotten in trouble for being "racially insensitive". Honestly, he's lucky he hasn't gotten dragged into an EEO hearing, and even luckier to still have a job. Unfortunately, you can't expect people to lighten up.

I'm not going to get into this whole higher standard stuff, I've blabbed about that till I'm blue in the face, but I've learned in my career, especially now as a supervisor, treat every interaction with someone as a potential EEO case. It's really unfortunate that I have to change my personality out of fear of getting jammed up, but, you never know who's looking to stick it to you. The way I talk to people I have been friends with, as opposed to those I'm not, it's incredibly different. I can drop the frequent F-bomb when I am dealing with certain people.

Edited by JBE

i think the dumbest thing he did was use that email address. since obama was elected I have gotten 50 or so text messages with different jokes on them about obama. i think you all have gotten the same ones. call me whatever you want, but I dont think this is a huge deal.

i think the dumbest thing he did was use that email address. since obama was elected I have gotten 50 or so text messages with different jokes on them about obama. i think you all have gotten the same ones. call me whatever you want, but I dont think this is a huge deal.

He used his personal e-mail address. Unfortunatly, like many of us, his e-mail address refernces his position. I use EJS1810@XYZ.com ( :lol: ). If you know me, you know what 1810 means (18-1-0) and that identifies where I am from. It in no way is an "Official" e-mail address.

If Tom used his Village or Fire Department e-mail address it would be different. Just like the poster I am replying to, DaveTFD, his post is not an official post from a member of the Tarrytown Fire Department. A lot of us use our department name in our screen names or e-mail addresses.

The email name means nothing. I know guys whose email addresses claim things they aren't - such as a Chief Car #, a Dr., a ninja, and in my case, a roundhead - which I really don't have. :rolleyes:

I agree I think some people are way too sensitive. Tommy's a good guy, I don't exactly see him spending time burning crosses or attending Klan meetings. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall a fire a couple years ago on Water Street where him and another FF went into a burning building and saved a black woman and her baby. Pretty sure pics are out there somewhere...

Wait, I found it...

Pics%20from%20Camera%20034.jpg

Tommy's in the back carrying the baby, Matt Scarduzio from E96 has the mother.

Wait, I found it...

What's that saying? A photo says a 1000 words. No doubt about him as a firefighter, it's just how you represent yourself especially as an officer you have to stay neutral and PC nowadays. The community is going to read that article, but no one is going to see that photo or know that he wakes up in the middle of the night on his own time to help people....they are just going to judge him based on a stupid email foward that means nothing.

The only thing I'm curious about, and the JN was vague about, was the whole thing with the Village vehicle.

Many bloggers who post comments in LoHud can be entertaining and sometimes "blow a lot of smoke", except for the one who remarked that whoever leaked the details of what is essentially an internal Village personnel matter, may have possibly violated Chief Reddy's civil rights, and that may be actionable.

Chief Reddy did nothing wrong in forwarding that to his private email contacts, on a personal email account.

Had it been sent on a Village of Ossining owned account: "BabyChief"@VillageofOssiningFD. gov" email, then Mrs. Cooper would have grounds to get indignant.

Personally I found the email cartoon joke in question neither racist, nor funny, for that matter.

And I did not label the sender a racist, or even insensitive.

A stupid email joke. I deleted it. Get over it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate the vehicle reference thing might have had something to do with fooling around broadcasting sounds over a vehicle PA speaker system....?