Truck4

FDNY overnight company closures

22 posts in this topic

Announced today, these companies will close overnight effective January 17th:

Manhattan- Engine 4 (South Street)

Staten Island- Engine 161 (McClean Ave)

Brooklyn- Engine 271 (Himrod St.)

Bronx- Ladder 53 (City Island)

Also mention of terminating the Governor's Island protection detail.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr/2008/120408_7808.shtml

Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. Did they say if this was going to be rotating closures?? Like 4 Engine one night, 7 Engine the next, etc.

I don't know why everyone would get worked up about this. Fires don't happen at night. And people don't wake up first thing in the morning and have heart attacks. No, this is a good idea.

<_<

You missed the bottom of the article... it said "New York City will no longer be known as the 'city that never sleeps'... it will now be called 'the city that sleeps so we don't have a need for firefighters'

Another King Bloomberg idea. City Island is a 3 minute response time for the next closest ladder and comprised mostly of wood frame houses put so close together that every fire is an exposure problem. As usually this is more than likely a decision by a group of pencil pushers looking at numbers on a spread sheet and no real grasp of reality. Bean counters: No fires in an area = No need to resources. The Response Community: No fires in an area = We are overdue for the big one.

I hope someone lets the FIRE know not to burn between the closure hours.. Next the cops will get weekends off. On the other hand.. this might not be so bad..

The nearest companies are Asch Loop and Astor ave which are both 4 miles out. I think that makes it a little longer than 4 minutes even in the middle of the night. I was just shocked they picked City Island which is all by itelf. Even if it is slower out there.

If the city wants to really save money and have absolutly no impact on the people then all of the elected officials should take a 20% paycut and work a 4 day week. Work Monday to Thursday. Nothing happens on Friday that can't wait until Monday.

I was under the impression that this was all a smoke screen and cannot functionally happen. As it was explained to me, the hours FDNY works is somehow set by the State Legislature? And changing the overnight tours in companies changes working hours. It was said this was a ploy by Bloomberg who knew it wouldn't take place, but looks good to his supporters who want to see cuts made.

I just thought of something. 53 Truck needs to be covered 24/7 due to its isolated location. It looks to me as if the powers that be are going to go against their own policies here. Not to mention almost anything on City Island is usually something. I wonder if they're going to make us move another truck over there to cover, or just live with it. Utter and complete BS.

I just thought of something. 53 Truck needs to be covered 24/7 due to its isolated location. It looks to me as if the powers that be are going to go against their own policies here. Not to mention almost anything on City Island is usually something. I wonder if they're going to make us move another truck over there to cover, or just live with it. Utter and complete BS.

JBE does the call sign L 51 acting 53 sound familiar. That has been there cover all along, make someone an "acting" unit and it is covered even if another area is stripped.

I think that you hit the nail on the head.

I can hear it now.....

"Ladder 19 acting Ladder 53 to the Bronx......The bridge is up. Can you Google me another route to City Island, K."

This is gonna be great. 2nd due will know be first due 3rd will be 2nd due and 4th due will be 3rd due. If it turns out to be a fire 5th due will be 4th due. ISN'T THIS GONNA BE GREAT!!!! Great response times. Truck will pull up to the scene will heavy heavy fire, but what can they do about it. <_<<_< :angry:

It was not all that long ago when TL-53 was not in service on the island and only 70 Engine was out in CI. It just goes full circle here today gone tonight.

CP

I think that you hit the nail on the head.

I can hear it now.....

"Ladder 19 acting Ladder 53 to the Bronx......The bridge is up. Can you Google me another route to City Island, K."

Ok, well I was wondering what route Ladder 19 might take if the Pelham and Hutch bridges were both open...

Slight detour into Westchester County!! <--- Click there.

Another King Bloomberg idea. City Island is a 3 minute response time for the next closest ladder and comprised mostly of wood frame houses put so close together that every fire is an exposure problem. As usually this is more than likely a decision by a group of pencil pushers looking at numbers on a spread sheet and no real grasp of reality. Bean counters: No fires in an area = No need to resources. The Response Community: No fires in an area = We are overdue for the big one.

The Bloom-turd administration and Commissioner Clueless must have given you that thought. :rolleyes:

The residents of City Island only wish that was true!!!

Look up any incident history and you will see it takes 8 or more minutes for 61 Truck to get there. Mapquest it, and it will tell you 11 minutes to 70/53 from 66/61.

That idiot, Magoo, was on TV today saying that "Every company we close has another firehouse within 1 mile." Maybe that's what they turned the old landfill into!!! Or did they put one on the golfcourse!?!?!

I was under the impression that this was all a smoke screen and cannot functionally happen. As it was explained to me, the hours FDNY works is somehow set by the State Legislature? And changing the overnight tours in companies changes working hours. It was said this was a ploy by Bloomberg who knew it wouldn't take place, but looks good to his supporters who want to see cuts made.

The tours of the closed company (6x9) members will not change. The 6x9 tour Officer and FF's will be detailed to other companies to kill an overtime. That is about 16-18 FF's per night tour and 4 officers. At least they get Portal to Portal, that's if Cassidy & Co. didn't give that back since I left the Job.

The city is strapped. FD needs to come up with cuts just like everyone else. That makes sense. I'm far from inside on this, but from what I understood they run a surplus of FF's more than 90% of the time city wide. So where is the savings by closing these companies overnight outside of gas and electric??

City Islands last fire was bad, but would have been worse had the truck not been there with a second line. Outside of a few restaurants, bars, and a marina just about everything on city island is residential. At 5 am anyone stuck above the fire is screwed.

It was not all that long ago when TL-53 was not in service on the island and only 70 Engine was out in CI. It just goes full circle here today gone tonight.

CP

L53 was re -established in 1986 when E85 was closed.

Announced today, these companies will close overnight effective January 17th:

Manhattan- Engine 4 (South Street)

Staten Island- Engine 161 (McClean Ave)

Brooklyn- Engine 271 (Himrod St.)

Bronx- Ladder 53 (City Island)

Also mention of terminating the Governor's Island protection detail.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr/2008/120408_7808.shtml

I found this about the Fire Protection on Governor Island

Fire Protection on Governor's Island - Governor's Island was owned by the Federal Government for many years and was under jurisdiction of the U.S. Coast Guard. During this time, fire protection was provided by Federal Firefighters who were union firefighters and members of the I.A.F.F., Local F-0087. In April of 2002, Local F-0087 sent a letter to me and then UFA, Local 94 President, Kevin Gallagher. The Federal Firefighters asked us for our support to retain their jobs, either as civil service or otherwise. I called Local F87 immediately and told them that I would assist in any way possible and would support them as long as the Federal Government funded them and they remained as Federal Firefighters but would never support a private Fire Department. I also told them that the issue should be addressed through the I.A.F.F. 1st District V.P., Kevin Gallagher and the I.A.F.F. District 16 V.P., which represents Federal Firefighters.

I did not hear back from Local F-0087, but in April 2003, Chief Estebo of the Governor's Island Fire Department made a proposal to reorganize the Federal Firefighters as New York State Firefighters. The main theme of his letter was that he could do it cheaper than the FDNY. It should be noted that there is no civil service title for State Firefighters. In his letter, he states that future firefighters could be recruited from volunteer fire departments and there would be no need to train them again at a fire academy. I objected to Chief Estebo's proposal in the strongest terms to the I.A.F.F.

We were notified several months ago that the Federal Government would stop funding the Governor's Island Fire Department on September 30, 2003. The FDNY made plans to provide fire protection as it does for the entire City. As such, the Department is soliciting volunteers to fill this new company. We want our members to step up and fill these vacancies. It is unfortunate that the Federal Firefighters are losing their jobs, but the Federal land was sold to New York City and State. It is our firm position that fire protection in this City be provided by the FDNY, staffed by members of the UFA, Local 94 and UFOA, Local 854. It should be noted that there was talk of Rural - Metro providing fire protection. It should be further noted that most of the current Federal Firefighters were hired at "term" employees, that is, they were hired with the understanding that their employment would not be permanent.

There is a letter currently being circulated by the Governor's Island Fire Department asking I.A.F.F. Brothers not to support the attempt by the FDNY to provide fire protection for Governor's Island. The letter is unsigned and not authorized by I.A.F.F Local F87. I have requested a meeting with the I.A.F.F. Local F87 on this issue.

I'm pretty sure a member of this board was stationed at Governors Island during his days in the Coast Guard.

Here are a few companies that shoulda been closed before the 4 mentioned:

BITS

EEO

Recruitment

Well, thank god the Command Tactical Unit is back in service. We'll have really great fire movies........ <_<

Edited by M' Ave