26 posts in this topic

The Bedford Hills Fire Department has recently taken delivery

the new Car 2032, a 2009 Chevrolet 2500 Series Suburban. The Whelen

emergency lighting and Havis-Shields console was furnished by AAA

Emergency and installed by Pulsoni Custom Installations in Sleepy Hollow. The

reflective striping and gold-leaf was completed by Forest Hills of Long

Island. With the exception of the newly added RonTan Vizorlight

furnished by Buckshollow Supply, the vehicle is a duplicate to the current

Car 2031, a 2007 Chevrolet 2500 series Suburban.

The Whelen CenCom siren, Kenwood and Motorola mobile radios are

housed in a Havis-Shields 30" console. Console accessories include: side

mounted armrests, cupholders and a 9" storage compartment containing a

multiport power point, vehicle charger for portable radio and a

Streamlight Stinger flashlight.

A rear custom cabinet was fabricated by Chivvis Enterprises in Long Island. The cabinet provides storage for the command board, SCBA, gear and other related firefighting equipment. A special shelf was constructed to allow for the emergency radio equipment to be mounted on

swivels.

A special thanks to BHFD's very own Capt. Ross Burbank and his staff at Burquip in Bedford Hills for fabricating the custom mounting bracket for the Knox-Box Sentralock.

PHOTOS BY AND POSTED WITH PERMISSION OF CUTTY630

post-11-1229810312.jpg

post-11-1229811170.jpg

post-11-1229811178.jpg

post-11-1229811921.jpg

post-11-1229811205.jpg

post-11-1229811212.jpg

post-11-1229811218.jpg

post-11-1229811558.jpg

post-11-1229811340.jpg

post-11-1229811349.jpg

post-11-1229811359.jpg

post-11-1229811368.jpg

PHOTOS BY AND POSTED WITH PERMISSION OF CUTTY630

Looks Nice, any BHFD guys, What SCBA Bottles are you using? Is that a local thing with the day-glo Green?

A couple years ago we decided to paint all the tops of our cylinders GREEN so at a large scale incident we could easily determine which ones were ours.

Looks great, always a fan of white and gold-leaf together. Good luck with it.

Question: Full size lightbar + interior lightbar? Is it really more effective? From what I've seen with other similarly equipped vehicles, it's been overly bright to the point of blinding other drivers. IMO brighter isn't always better.

(Not criticizing either, just wondering if it's proved to be more effective with you guys.)

Edited by DonMoose

Nice truck, and a good idea with the green on top of the bottles

Lookin' good! Pretty, pretty, pretty good! I especially like the command board. Best of luck with her!

-Joe DA BUFF

Beautiful vehicle!!! best of luck with her!!!

nice vehicle good luck with that like the command post table

What did they do with the 2001 ford pick up, sell it or keep it as a utility? Nice suburban by the way, I wish my department would use those as chiefs cars.

That is one hell of a light package! Great looking chief's truck

If you look quickly at the 4th from last pic (rear shot) you might mistake it for a police vehicle with the blue lights.

If you look quickly at the 4th from last pic (rear shot) you might mistake it for a police vehicle with the blue lights.

Which is a good thing. Here in Texas, the DOT and highway contractors use amber and blue lights, because blue has proven to be extremly effective in multiple types of weather/light conditions. Kudos to BHFD for yet another progressive safety measure.

Which is a good thing. Here in Texas, the DOT and highway contractors use amber and blue lights, because blue has proven to be extremly effective in multiple types of weather/light conditions. Kudos to BHFD for yet another progressive safety measure.

Playing devil's advocate for a second: laws are laws - V&T states blue to the rear only on police vehicles here in NY.

Personal opinion: There should be a standard for all emergency vehicles, if it's proven to be a safety measure why allow just PDs to do it?

Back on topic though since this shouldn't be turned into another blue light thread. Anyone have an answer to my previous post?

Edited by DonMoose

Is Bedford Hills getting a new car to replace 2033? I saw what looks like another Chevy Suburban sitting in the bay where the rescue usually goes and rescue parked outside next to the current 2033.

EXCELLECT JOB BEDFORD HILLS FD!

Kudos, Car 2032 looks SHARP!

My only question, how is the set of Irons secured?

Very sharp looking vehicle, and well set up. In reference to the blue lights facing rear it definite improves visibility and therefore safety. Yes it's a V&T law but come one, we need to protect our brothers/sisters out there. Since PD switched to it because of "safety" through proven studies, all emergency vehicles should do the same.

Safety first remember!! I have blue facing rear on my vehicle, for that point "safety" and not because it looks cool. I want to go home after calls, remember "EVERYONE GOES HOME" and if this simple safety measure helps, so be it. Maybe it's time for Unions and Volunteer organizations to take this to the courts and get it across the board for all EMERGENCY SERVICES.

Safety first remember!! I have blue facing rear on my vehicle, for that point "safety" and not because it looks cool. I want to go home after calls, remember "EVERYONE GOES HOME" and if this simple safety measure helps, so be it. Maybe it's time for Unions and Volunteer organizations to take this to the courts and get it across the board for all EMERGENCY SERVICES.

Yes it is time to change the law but we must do it correctly. The fire service organizations, (FASNY, NYSAFC, Fire Districts etc) are lobbying on this. It is on their (our) legislative agenda. Until the law is changed, we need to follow the existing laws as written. We do not accepte the excuses I keep hearing, "The police have it (They got the law changed and are now leagaly folling it), It's safer (but still Illeagal), and it's that way in other states (Move your apparatus there).

We are not above the law because we want to be. Change the law to fit our needs but until then DO NOT VIOLATE THE LAWS.

Edited by EJS1810

Question: Full size lightbar + interior lightbar? Is it really more effective? From what I've seen with other similarly equipped vehicles, it's been overly bright to the point of blinding other drivers. IMO brighter isn't always better.

(Not criticizing either, just wondering if it's proved to be more effective with you guys.)

Another problem with interior lightbars is when personnel are trying to access equipment. Unless the lightbar shuts off when the vehicle is put in Park, the rear door is opened, or there is a manual shutoff, you get blinded.

Another problem with interior lightbars is when personnel are trying to access equipment. Unless the lightbar shuts off when the vehicle is put in Park, the rear door is opened, or there is a manual shutoff, you get blinded.

I was referring to the front-facing interior lightbar (inneredge, or w/e it's called) seen in the third picture at the top of the windshield. Seems to be overkill IMO.

Edited by DonMoose

Cutty, sweet lookin ride man, best of luck with it BHFD!

I love the color scheme and gold leaf, very classy. Its definately got plently of warning power, thats for sure. I love the rear cargo set-up. Great space for the air-pak, extinguishers, radios and gear. I like that the area for the turn-outs has matting under it to keep it cleaner. I also like how the radios are set up and the compartment for the command board is awesome!

Nice car. Only thing i noticed (unless they store them elsewhere) is they really ought to find a way to secure the tools (haligan/fire axe). In the event of an accident they could become airborne and cause serious injury and/or death to the driver/passengers. Perhaps the installation of a wire/mesh cage in the rear of the vehicle might remedy the safety issue.

I was referring to the front-facing interior lightbar (inneredge, or w/e it's called) seen in the third picture at the top of the windshield. Seems to be overkill IMO.

My bad - sorry. I see your point now. I still think the rear ones are a pain.

Honestly, I just think this rig has waaaaay too much as far as lighting, but that's my opinion.