Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Pelham Manor New Tower Ladder 3?

19 posts in this topic

From another thread:

What does Pelham Manor have to do with this? By the way, we are awaiting the arrival af a new Tower Ladder.

Does anyone know what Pelham Manor FD has on order? Is it new, or used like the last engine they got?

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable posting but knows what the deal is, please PM the info to me and I will post it and keep your identity on the down low.

Thanks to an awesome membership out there, I have been informed by several of our "in the know" members out there what's going on:

TL-3 went back to Seagrave to be completely refurbed. Brand new Seagrave chassis and body with same 75' boom, completely refurbed.

The kicker is…..They figured out how to keep it on a single axle. It will be the first re-mount in the country on a single axle.

In the meantime, Yonkers has lloaned PMFD their old Mack Aerialscope, the former TL-75 - 1991 this truck had a new body put on it in the late 90's. The body is so-so but the boom works great. Not 100% if PMFD will actually use the truck yet, but once it returns to Yonkers, it will be disposed of, given it's over 20 years old.

Special thanks go out to those who provided the info to me!!! You guys rock!

Congrats to PMFD on getting this done. On the down side however, this means that yet another one of the dwindling Mack CF rigs in the county is history.

Thanks to an awesome membership out there, I have been informed by several of our "in the know" members out there what's going on:

TL-3 went back to Seagrave to be completely refurbed. Brand new Seagrave chassis and body with same 75' boom, completely refurbed.

The kicker is…..They figured out how to keep it on a single axle. It will be the first re-mount in the country on a single axle.

In the meantime, Yonkers has lloaned PMFD their old Mack Aerialscope, the former TL-75 - 1991 this truck had a new body put on it in the late 90's. The body is so-so but the boom works great. Not 100% if PMFD will actually use the truck yet, but once it returns to Yonkers, it will be disposed of, given it's over 20 years old.

Special thanks go out to those who provided the info to me!!! You guys rock!

Cant wait to see the pics

Tower Ladder 3 going out early Jan. Yonkers TL not in service yet

A single rear axle??????? I have to see this. The refurb must be way under the weight limit.

What is the reason for the single axel?

What is the reason for the single axel?

Cheaper when you go thru tolls.

Are there any safety reasons against dual axle vs single or is there really a reason for one verse the other? I'm wondering if someone with more knowledge then I have knows why some trucks have one and most have two? I do not have alot of knowledge in this area.

Engine 1, having either a single axle or dual axle on the truck depends on the gross vehicle weight. Most aerial device fire apparatus now have two axles to help distribute the weight of the truck while traveling. The original 75' Aerialscopes on Mack chassis only required a single axle because of the total weight of the truck. In recent years vehicle construction, equipment mounted on the truck, ect. have cause the weight to increase and so a second axle was needed on the read to evenly distribute the truck's weight.

Single axle also significantly increases stopping distance.

Edited by ny10570

And today's "heavy duty" aerials are considerably longer. My current department operates a twice refurbed '72 'scope, (ex 157 Truck). We have found that it's shorter wheelbase allows us to get in where others can't, but there is a drawback. The cab cannot be fully enclosed on it's current chassis. Brrrrrr... :P

I'm looking forward to the pics as well. Others can try all they want, there really is just no subsitute or better tower ladder out there than the Aerialscope....I M not so H O.

Stay Safe

Cogs

BTW..Happy Holidays All....from my family to yours

And today's "heavy duty" aerials are considerably longer. My current department operates a twice refurbed '72 'scope, (ex 157 Truck). We have found that it's shorter wheelbase allows us to get in where others can't, but there is a drawback. The cab cannot be fully enclosed on it's current chassis. Brrrrrr... :P

That's why you have to hug up to the engine doghouse!!!! :P

Tower Ladder 3 will be the same size and wheel base as old TL It will be enclosed cab. We need the same size to fit in firehouse.

Just a clarification/correction on some of my info:

TL-3 can be seen here:

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...ham%20Manor.htm

TL-3 won't be going to Seagrave until January, when Seagrave is ready to start on it. Yonkers TL is not in service yet, and is pending an aerial test. However, as stated before, boom still works great, it is 20 years old and has seen active working fire service in Yonkers up until a few months ago.

was reading about this in the firehouse.com forums. anyone have any further details like drawings or pictures thanks.

was reading about this in the firehouse.com forums. anyone have any further details like drawings or pictures thanks.

I am "WestTac1" on Firehouse.com forums, and posted the information there. No further details are available besides what's been posted here. The drawings aren't available yet, and there's nothing to photograph yet. However, as mentioned, Seagrave, the dealer, and especially the sales rep have put a lot of thougt and talent into this, and this new generation of Aerialscope will be revolutionary. Many departments will be looking at this once they actually see that it is possible....

Damn, Pleasantville should have asked Yonkers for a ladder.

Maybe Pleasantville can buy it when Pelham is done with it, and remount it to their current chasis/body

Back on topic, I cant wait to see Tower Ladder 3 return on a single axle. Very interesting development. Some will argue that todays new dual axle rear ends stop better and turn almost as tight, but the single can get into some rear tight areas.

Edited by grumpyff