Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Mount Vernon- Working Fire Pics 12/22

21 posts in this topic

Nice pics thanks for sharing. At least the water source was close. :rolleyes:

THE CITY OF MOUNT VERNON COULD HAVE SAVED A FORTUNE BY ORDERING THEIR AIRPACKS LESS THE WAIST STRAPS!! :angry:

THE CITY OF MOUNT VERNON COULD HAVE SAVED A FORTUNE BY ORDERING THEIR AIRPACKS LESS THE WAIST STRAPS!! :angry:

Who cares? Its not hurting anyone. If anything its easier to get it caught on something when its buckled. Its a comfort thing at least they are wearing the pack is the way you should have looked at it.

some of these guys look like they could use some new gear. nice pics

If anything its easier to get it caught on something when its buckled.

Care to justify that statement. I have seen members get hung up with lose "tails" but this is the 1st time I've heard anyone claim the reverse. It also more likely to lose your pack this way, particularly if you take a header (down stairs) or fall thru a floor.

Its a comfort thing at least they are wearing the pack is the way you should have looked at it.

Wearing ones pack properly is a "comfort" thing. Keeping my gloves in my pocket is a comfort thing also...but I wear them because they are designed to work when worn properly

And looking at it that its on there back, is great....but whats really importtant is wearing it on your face is the real issue (not an issue in these pics)

Nice Shots, Thanks for posting. Something about shots of fires in snow seem surreal to me...I like 'em.

Care to justify that statement. I have seen members get hung up with lose "tails" but this is the 1st time I've heard anyone claim the reverse. It also more likely to lose your pack this way, particularly if you take a header (down stairs) or fall thru a floor.

Wearing ones pack properly is a "comfort" thing. Keeping my gloves in my pocket is a comfort thing also...but I wear them because they are designed to work when worn properly

And looking at it that its on there back, is great....but whats really importtant is wearing it on your face is the real issue (not an issue in these pics)

I agree the tails can get caught up, and I actually prefer to wear the waist strap myself. I also agree that it helps in your through the floor or down the stairs scenario's. But I have had instances when crawling where I got caught on something where if I didn't have them buckled it may have slid over. I am not agreeing or disagreeing either way to wear it, I was just laughing that out of everything people see the bad in every picture. Its all personal preference.

And I really don't understand the gloves thing? An SCBA works no matter what way you wear it but gloves do you no good in your pocket. If you want to wear them backwards or on the wrong hand then I don't really care as long as you are wearing them and it works for you.

some of these guys look like they could use some new gear. nice pics

What's wrong with their gear? Maybe beat up because of a heavy work load? I for one never wanted to look like I just stepped out of a Galls catalog.

What's wrong with their gear? Maybe beat up because of a heavy work load? I for one never wanted to look like I just stepped out of a Galls catalog.

Not that its dirty, justr a few guys look like they have some very dated gear, where as some look like they have newer gear.

Not that its dirty, justr a few guys look like they have some very dated gear, where as some look like they have newer gear.

Just take a look at the number of fires these guys have had in the last three weeks!!! I guess your stuff would look about the same.

V/r

Getinitdone

correct like i said, not that its dirty, some of the guys look like they have some mid 90's gear on.

Scotty,

In the almost 20 years that I have been wearing an airpack I have never gotten hung up when my waist strap was secured. If this is presenting an issue with you perhaps your not securing it properly. I have often heard of guys getting hung up with the straps hanging but I have never heard of the opposite and would hardly promote not wearing the waist belt as a means to avoid entanglemnet issues.

I agree the tails can get caught up, and I actually prefer to wear the waist strap myself. I also agree that it helps in your through the floor or down the stairs scenario's. But I have had instances when crawling where I got caught on something where if I didn't have them buckled it may have slid over. I am not agreeing or disagreeing either way to wear it, I was just laughing that out of everything people see the bad in every picture. Its all personal preference.

And I really don't understand the gloves thing? An SCBA works no matter what way you wear it but gloves do you no good in your pocket. If you want to wear them backwards or on the wrong hand then I don't really care as long as you are wearing them and it works for you.

Get some experience, johnny, before you pop off with "...I have had instances....." You haven't had any "instances", you have had fantasies !

I'd never tell another firefighter how to wear his/her airpack with the waistbelt buckled unless they were under my command. I always tried to set a good example to others by wearing my gear as taught.

What I do know is if the firefighter without his waist strap secured needs to be rescued, the process of transfering the airpack harness to a rescue harness is more difficult. Trying to find a strap which is not buckled, and not close to the waist area in a low visibility/ high heat enviroment is much more difficult if the rescuer has to fumble around trying to find the strap. This increases the amount of time to effect the rescue and puts puts both firefighters at risk.

For me, I will always wear the waiststrap buckled - not just for my safety, but for the firefighters who may need to rescue me someday.

Its a comfort thing at least they are wearing the pack is the way you should have looked at it.

I find that having the waist straps buckled takes the weight off my shoulders hence being more comfortable. The longer I have the pack on the tighter I make the waist straps only to distribute the weight to my waist as opposed to having it on my shoulders and back.

Just my 2 cents!

As of last night FDMV has had 46 working fires, 11 in the past 2 weeks, this doesn't count the quick knockdowns. As many of us have been thinking with the economy,price of fuel etc fires will be a problem everywhere. Word has it that there is approx 600 foreclosures within the city. Be safe!

*YOU SHOULD SEE THE NEW NFPA DUCT TAPE THAT MIGHT BE AVAILABLE SOON! LOL

Edited by hudson144

I find that having the waist straps buckled takes the weight off my shoulders hence being more comfortable. The longer I have the pack on the tighter I make the waist straps only to distribute the weight to my waist as opposed to having it on my shoulders and back.

WHICH IS HOW IT WAS DESIGNED