Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

National Certification Examination

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if Westchester County will hold a National Certification Examination for Firefighter 1 this year?

Good Question. Does anyone also know the requirements?

The requirements

FIREFIGHTER I Written/Practical Exam

Designed For: All fire service personnel

Prerequisite: Students must be physically capable of wearing SCBA and possess current medical clearance for SCBA use. Students not possessing this prerequisite will not be allowed to participate for their own safety. A completed "Training Authorization Letter" mailed with your application will meet this requirement.

Required Fire Service Training:

 Any nationally recognized first aid course including CPR and AED training, and meeting requirements of NFPA 1001.

and any one of the following combinations:

 Firefighter I (01-05-0019) course,

or

 Basic Firefighter (01-05-0006),

 Intermediate Firefighter (01-05-0057), and

 Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations (01-09-0071)

or

 Firefighting Essentials (01-05-0023),

 Initial Fire Attack (01-05-0027),

 Firefighter Safety and Survival (01-05-0021),

 Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness (01-01-0014), and

 Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations (01-09-0071)

FromThe NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control

Hope this help

Edited by bigfitz2004

There have been several attempts to have a National Cert test given here in Westchester but never enough candidates were available. If you are interested, have your Chiefs speak up to the State OFPC or the Westchester DES . There is a cost factor $25.00 for the test.

We are doing national testing for the probationary firefighters class next week.

Cap,

It's been some time since some classes were taken. What is tested during the practical? Is there a list of skills that are tested?

The stations are picked out by the OFPC and are told to us at the testing time but usually there is a donning station, a rope station, one on ladders, nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that firefighter cannot handle- all basic stuff.

After doing some research.

National certification exams, for all levels, will be given at the fire academy in Monotour Falls

on april 25-26; july 25-26; october 17-18, 2009.

Unless one comes up in Westchester i'll have to think about making the drive up.

Nothing better then a nice drive to Montour Falls.

I will keep an ear out up here and report back if I hear about any National testing being scheduled.......

And, better a drive to the Academy in April than February! :lol:

LOL. Yeah right. Maybe with the whole crew in one vehicle...then again the entire true gang can't fit into one.

Rte. 17 with a pocket full of musical dollars. But nice drive....as long as you have satellite radio!

Just to add onto to Firecapt's post. Its important to note that Westchester doesn't "hold" national certification testing. It only "hosts" them when given by the state. They can make a request to host one but it doesn't mean the state will necessarily grant that request. Couple in the economy and who knows.

Just take a good look at the dates for Montour...sometimes timing is everything when staying up there. lol.

Does anyone know if you can take more than one test on the day of the exam? ie: FF1 and FF2

Does anyone know if you can take more than one test on the day of the exam? ie: FF1 and FF2

It would depend on the scheduling of the tests - if one is in the morning, and the other after lunch it shouldn't be a problem.

If you plan on taking them at the Academy - give them a call and ask in advance.

When I took my FSI 1 & 2 National Cert they were given on 2 consecutive days.......

There have been several attempts to have a National Cert test given here in Westchester but never enough candidates were available. If you are interested, have your Chiefs speak up to the State OFPC or the Westchester DES . There is a cost factor $25.00 for the test.

We are doing national testing for the probationary firefighters class next week.

Are you doing 1 & 2? Any chance of having others join your test?????

I looked at taking the test in other states. Connecticut offers a lot, but they seem to be fairly rigid about requirements in that you need to belong to a Connecticut department, or have a mutual aid agreement and (regularly) respond in to Ct, such as Vista or Banksville.

Pennsylvania also offers National testing and seems to be more amenable to anyone with the appropriate qualifications taking their test - saying that FF2 for them seems to be more involved than the pre-requisites for NY.

Also, I do think the Academy is fairly flexible about taking multiple tests together. when I took FF1, most people were lined up to take FF2 the next day (they even graded the FF1 test that afternoon to make sure they were eligible to take FF2.

Monty.