Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pvfdtowman

Mohegan Lake Asst Chief accused of improper business practices

35 posts in this topic

nice truck with PURAIR miles!

first sleepy hollow and now this jerk!

wow.....that story certainly doesnt make us vol. firefighters look very good. I dont really think this has much to do with the fire dept. as much as bad business practices....

wow.....that story certainly doesnt make us vol. firefighters look very good. I dont really think this has much to do with the fire dept. as much as bad business practices....

I don't think the story tarnished the image of all volunteer firefighters. This individual was criticized for using his public position as assistant fire chief to advance his private enterprise and for his business practices. It was not a reflection on the volunteer fire service as a whole.

Very, very unfortunate. Hopefully he will 1) be relieved of his duties as asst. chief and that light bar ripped off his battle wagon, 2) these families will get their money

Just another example of total lack of accountability....

I don't think the story tarnished the image of all volunteer firefighters. This individual was criticized for using his public position as assistant fire chief to advance his private enterprise and for his business practices. It was not a reflection on the volunteer fire service as a whole.

Agreed, though the use of the fire chief car to go on prospective business calls looks pretty bad. And given the inconspicuous color scheme and relative lack of marking/lights/bells and whistles (NOT!), he clearly burned that image into the minds of the entire Fox 5 viewership. Bad PR like that makes for a bad overall image of FF's. But I bet blackercloud (and nopoliticalspin2- same EDP broad) is hi-5ing herself and doing the happy dance as we speak! :lol:

If he wasn't a fire chief, all this would have been is another shyster business owner stiffing his / her clients. Some people will never learn that the smallest thing you do wrong will cause great scrutiny against you. If Mohegan Lake doesn't do anything then the whole department would look bad. They have to react to this especially using a department vehicles to conduct his business in.

I am sure probably no one in Mohegan knew about this. This person should be embarrassed and resign. Seems like a dirt bag to me.

The worst thing is that he's a volunteer chief and leaves a live wire near a child's play area. Some Fire Chief! Creates a fire hazard risking chldren's lives. Neil Bodie should be jailed for contempt of court and have a judgement against all of his possessions.

Looks like he is using his personal vehicle for his business. The District Vehicle was just sitting in his driveway in the tv report. Regardless, he should be suspended ASAP!

Gentlemen,

Just a little reminder, there is always two sides to a story. This is in no way a black eye for the mohegan fire dept. What ever Mr Boddie does in his personal business life, is just that. He was issued a chiefs car to respond to fires, hence, it could be used in his daily activities in his district. Furthermore, this is no way a fireman vs cop thing, it has absolutely nothing to do with this. Why the press has to add all this other information is uncalled for. His bad business practices have nothing to do with the fire dept. Give the guy a break, lets get the whole story first before we make an assumption.- just my opinion.

Gentlemen,

Just a little reminder, there is always two sides to a story. This is in no way a black eye for the mohegan fire dept. What ever Mr Boddie does in his personal business life, is just that. He was issued a chiefs car to respond to fires, hence, it could be used in his daily activities in his district. Furthermore, this is no way a fireman vs cop thing, it has absolutely nothing to do with this. Why the press has to add all this other information is uncalled for. His bad business practices have nothing to do with the fire dept. Give the guy a break, lets get the whole story first before we make an assumption.- just my opinion.

Sorry but I strongly disagree with you. First of all, risking the life of a child by leaving a live wire near a child's play area shows that as a fireman he is incompetant. He could have burned down the house or electrocuted a child. So adding on a reckless endangerment charge should be considered. His personal vehicle has a red roof light bar and decals on the window indicating he is a fireman so he is most definately using his fireman status to gain business.

Gentlemen,

They do if he introduces himself to perspective clients as the fire chief. From the video it appears he uses his personal vehicle to conduct business but many civilians are not going to distinguish the difference between his red pick up with a light bar and a town vehicle.

Edited by 210

From what I remember from the news story, this particular individual already has a judgment against him. He (the fire chief) therefore already had an opportunity to have his side of the story heard. Though a contempt citation is unlikely in these types of cases, I agree that the plaintiff/judgment-creditor should exercise his rights to freeze the defendant/fire chief's bank account and repossess any of the defendant/fire chief's possessions or anything that he may have an interest in...

Insofar as the volunteer fire company involved here, I think that a Code of Ethics should be adopted to ensure that no one abuses their power. If one is already in place, I am sure that the Mohegan will act accordingly, providing the fire chief with due process of law.

Gentlemen,

The whole story, he has lost in the court of law and has been issued to repay the money or do the work, to which he has done neither.

From what I remember from the news story, this particular individual already has a judgment against him. He (the fire chief) therefore already had an opportunity to have his side of the story heard. Though a contempt citation is unlikely in these types of cases, I agree that the plaintiff/judgment-creditor should exercise his rights to freeze the defendant/fire chief's bank account and repossess any of the defendant/fire chief's possessions or anything that he may have an interest in...

Insofar as the volunteer fire company involved here, I think that a Code of Ethics should be adopted to ensure that no one abuses their power. If one is already in place, I am sure that the Mohegan will act accordingly, providing the fire chief with due process of law.

The sad part about these cases is that the consumer is often left holding the nut and the businessman knows it. I had a landlord refuse to return security to me once and I challenged him in small claims court. After taking the first day off to go to small claims court (in his town as required by law), he didn't even show and instead sent a letter to the court requesting a change in venue because of a personal conflict between him and the judge. The venue was changed to a town further away, I took a second day off, and finally got a judgment against him and I thought I had won. After several months of sending letters, phone calls, and letters from my lawyer (with their accompanied fees), I finally went to the PD, who had no interest in assisting to exercise a petty judgment.

To make a short story long, I finally ended up being able to put a lien on one of his properties for $600 at my personal expense of two days of work and about $500 in lawyer fees. While he would have to satisfy that if he sold the property, I might be old and gray by the time I see my money.

Gentlemen,

Yes, there are two sides to every story but 1. court(s) have already heard both sides of the story and ruled against him and issued judgements requiring him to pay the aggrieved clients and 2. he had an opportunity to present his side of the story or at least defend himself to the reporter but he just walked away when queried.

No, there is no fireman vs. cop thing. The whole issue is his use of his official position to promote his business which almost all the clients interviewed stated. That is pretty shady.

The only point of information that I might add is the consumer might have had better luck dealing with the NY Attorney General's Office and/or County Department of Consumer Affairs. Both agencies will investigate, prosecute, and collect judgments in consumer fraud cases.

To further complicate matters the judgment is in the business name. He's not personally named (according to the papers shown). He could claim bankruptcy on the business and might get away with owing anything other than the businesses assets.

To further complicate matters the judgment is in the business name. He's not personally named (according to the papers shown). He could claim bankruptcy on the business and might get away with owing anything other than the businesses assets.

In a sole proprietorship and in a parnership the owner(s) are responsible. Since the court judgements have been made the personal belongings including his home and everything in it can be seized. If he claimed bankruptcy before the courts were involved in the lawsuits it would have been a slightly different issue. They can and probably will take everything from him unless he has the estimated 60000 something dollars laying around. The fact that his name is not written on there does not matter - he is listed as the owner of the company and he will be held accountable no matter what.

If it wasn't a volunteer or career firefighter would it have made the news?

Edited by wtr120

If it wasn't a volunteer or career firefighter would it have made the news?

Probably, you don't have to be a public figure to make the hall of shame on this news cast. Being a public figure just allowed the media to put a different spin on the situation.

Edited by TRUCK6018

This incident is unfortunate for ALL parties involved.

I hope people will not judge the Lake Mohegan FD based on

the actions by one of it's members.

GOOD LUCK 2263!

How is this incident unfortunate for the Asst. Chief? He brought it on himself, the man clearly posseses no ethics or integrity. His department would be doing itself a great disservice to not get rid of this disgrace ASAP.