Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gss131

White Plains Firefighter Exam

25 posts in this topic

Don't know if its been mentioned yet but I found this on LoHud today.

Quantcast

WHITE plains

City seeks candidates for firefighter exam

Candidates are being sought for the White Plains Fire Department. The city will conduct a written Civil Service test for firefighter candidates on June 27 and is now recruiting men and women. Candidates must register for the exam by March 26. The exam is open to Westchester County residents who are at least 17 1/2 years old on the date of the written exam. Firefighters in White Plains are paid between $50,941 and $79,895 per year. The Department of Public Safety will offer free training to help candidates prepare for the written exam. Application materials and announcements can be obtained at www.cityofwhiteplains.com or visiting the city Personnel Office at 255 Main St. between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on business days. For more information, call the Personnel Department at 914-422-1258.

Don't know if its been mentioned yet but I found this on LoHud today.

Quantcast

WHITE plains

City seeks candidates for firefighter exam

Candidates are being sought for the White Plains Fire Department. The city will conduct a written Civil Service test for firefighter candidates on June 27 and is now recruiting men and women. Candidates must register for the exam by March 26. The exam is open to Westchester County residents who are at least 17 1/2 years old on the date of the written exam. Firefighters in White Plains are paid between $50,941 and $79,895 per year. The Department of Public Safety will offer free training to help candidates prepare for the written exam. Application materials and announcements can be obtained at www.cityofwhiteplains.com or visiting the city Personnel Office at 255 Main St. between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on business days. For more information, call the Personnel Department at 914-422-1258.

As per a previous court ruling, preference will be given to White Plains residents.

As per a previous court ruling, preference will be given to White Plains residents.

Just curious, what does that mean in practice? That, given two 'equal' candidates, the WP resident gets the job? Or, they won't even bother looking at non-WP residents if they find enough qualified candidates from WP?

Just curious, what does that mean in practice? That, given two 'equal' candidates, the WP resident gets the job? Or, they won't even bother looking at non-WP residents if they find enough qualified candidates from WP?

It means 2 lists. Residence and nonresidence.

If you score 100 on the 2nd list, they have to hire everyone who passed on list #1 before they get to you. Basically if there are enough people on the residence list, no one gets hired off the non.

A friend got put on the 2nd list (different city, same setup) was 100+ on the list, proved he was a resident (his property was 1/2 in the city & 1/2 out) got moved up to 17.

Pretty much the same system in Yonkers.Unless you can provide proof of residency chances are nil,however the tests are still administered by the state and could be a good learning tool for those looking to take exams elsewhere.

It means 2 lists. Residence and nonresidence.

If you score 100 on the 2nd list, they have to hire everyone who passed on list #1 before they get to you. Basically if there are enough people on the residence list, no one gets hired off the non.

A friend got put on the 2nd list (different city, same setup) was 100+ on the list, proved he was a resident (his property was 1/2 in the city & 1/2 out) got moved up to 17.

That's very clear... thanks. Might be worth taking the tests just for practice, as was suggested, in case anyone does fancy hiring the Oldest Probie In Town :rolleyes:

That pisses me off, basicly if you dont live in any of these places ur chances of being a ff are slim to none.

That pisses me off, basicly if you dont live in any of these places ur chances of being a ff are slim to none.

So are saying you think it is wrong to give a person a slight advantage to work in thier community where they live???

That's life. Westchester..the land of residency. There always is moving into the area your interested in. Or score a 100 on the county test and hope the 3 or 4 that don't use residency will be hiring and that you interview well, have a good resume or you gotta good hook.

Duck...could be good practice for other tests. But I'm sure WP wouldn't mind the donation from non residents either. lol.

I still say have one List to hell with residency. Pick the best for the Job, not because they live there. Would you rather have a guy that's #1 on an nonresidency list or the person that's #100 on the in- town list? How about the individuals who lived there their whole life and just moved compared to those that have only been living in the Municipality for a few months? I believe Depts. in Ct. only have one list. That's the way to go if your looking to hire the most competent people. JMO.

That's life. Westchester..the land of residency. There always is moving into the area your interested in. Or score a 100 on the county test and hope the 3 or 4 that don't use residency will be hiring and that you interview well, have a good resume or you gotta good hook.

Duck...could be good practice for other tests. But I'm sure WP wouldn't mind the donation from non residents either. lol.

I think it is a New York thing, (home rule ;) ), not just WP (meant) WC.

In many ways I think you are better off getting on the job in Ct, or maybe NJ (haven't looked there though). Ct seems a lot less bothered about residency, although some places have other Ct requirements - like EMT, FF2 etc.

The other thing is that the state does the exam across the state on the same day - so you could block that day off and now start seeing which municipalities are testing.

Edited by Monty

I think it is a New York thing, (home rule ;) ), not just WP.

In many ways I think you are better off getting on the job in Ct, or maybe NJ (haven't looked there though). Ct seems a lot less bothered about residency, although some places have other Ct requirements - like EMT, FF2 etc.

The other thing is that the state does the exam across the state on the same day - so you could block that day off and now start seeing which municipalities are testing.

Never said it was just a WP thing. The dept. I work for has residency as does pretty much every other department but literally like 3 or 4 in Westchester. Has nothing to really do with home rule as AHJ choice. At least if you take the county test and you score a 100 you have a fighting chance depending on many other factors. WP hasn't hired off the non residency list from what I understand in ???? if that tells you anything. So that's what I mean by the donation.

So are saying you think it is wrong to give a person a slight advantage to work in thier community where they live???

I wouldnt say slight....

Im trying to find a place in WP but its so expensive.

Never said it was just a WP thing. The dept. I work for has residency as does pretty much every other department but literally like 3 or 4 in Westchester. Has nothing to really do with home rule as AHJ choice. At least if you take the county test and you score a 100 you have a fighting chance depending on many other factors. WP hasn't hired off the non residency list from what I understand in ???? if that tells you anything. So that's what I mean by the donation.

Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, White Plains & Yonkers are under federal court decrees (from the early 1980's) to hire the way we do. Its not a matter of home rule or AHJ choice.

I know it's says resident's have a better advantage and you have to live in Westchester, but my question is if you live in Putnam County can you still take it and possiable get in for WP, New Ro and Yonkers?

I know it's says resident's have a better advantage and you have to live in Westchester, but my question is if you live in Putnam County can you still take it and possiable get in for WP, New Ro and Yonkers?

You can take it, but the package clearly states the requirements for appointment if you don't meet them you can't get appointed.

You can take it, but the package clearly states the requirements for appointment if you don't meet them you can't get appointed.

Ok thanks, I was just a little confused.

Ok thanks, I was just a little confused.

I just took a quick second look at the packet and it says that the exam is open to Westchester residents...you may want to double check that as a Putnam resident you can actually sit for the exam. Sorry about that!

Edited by Goose

I just took a quick second look at the packet and it says that the exam is open to Westchester residents...you may want to double check that as a Putnam resident you can actually sit for the exam. Sorry about that!

Sorry confused again, you can only take the test for practice or take it to get hired?

Sorry confused again, you can only take the test for practice or take it to get hired?

As others have posted, in practice, it appears you have to be a resident of the *city* in question to stand any real chance of getting appointed.

Jim you have to take the test before you get hired but if you don't live in the city you basically won't get hired.

hey guys, couple questions...how many are they looking to hire off the list? and what kind of proof do you need to show you are a resident?