Followers 0
MJP399

Croton- Working Fire 3/27/09 Mt Airy

19 posts in this topic

Any addition information at this time?

Date: 03-27-09

Time: 1345hrs

Frequency: 46.26/Trunk-10

Units Operating: CFD Full Dept. Response, Montrose VAFD w/(1) engine, Ossing FASTeam, Buchanan U12, Briarcliff EMS, Croton EMS, Cortlandt EMS, Ossining L41/Montrose E121 re-located to CFD Sta. 3.

Weather Conditions: Warm

Description Of Incident: Working Fire

Reporters:

Writer: BFD1054

1410hrs-Buchanan & Verplanck on s/b w/(1) engine each in their respective quarters.

This post has been edited by BFD1054: Today, 02:19 PM

Any addition information at this time?

You gotta quit that work stuff Mike! :P

A car backed over the curb, ran over the gas main then struck the electrical meters. It ignited almost instantly, and luckily the driver pulled away and escaped. Car 2082, who lives across the street, saw what happened and reported it to 60 Control. E118 arrived first, pulling two 1 3/4" lines and using the deck gun to protect the building. A third line was stretched around back to the 2nd floor. Crews set up protective lines to keep the fire from getting control of the building. Some extension was found in the walls and they were opened up (after extensive work to move stuff out of the way) to complete extinguishment. All occupants were evacuated and no injuries were reported.

On Scene:

Croton FD: 2082, 2083 (IC), E118, E119, TL44, E120, R18

Ossining FD: 2332, 2334, E98, U51 FAST

Montrose VA: 2571, 2573, E225

Buchanan FD: 2551, U12

Croton EMS: 5511, 55B1, 55B2

Cortlandt VAC: 88B1

Ossining VAC: 7405, 74B1

Westchester Cause & Origin Zone 4 & Car 24

Westchester Battalion 10

Croton PD: Car 1, Car 33, Car 30, Car 31, Car 32, Car 38

Con Ed Gas (At least 12 reps)

Relocated to CFD Station #3:

Montrose: 2273, E121

Ossining: L41

Briarcliff: 53B2

Stand-by in own Quarters for VA & Tri-Village:

Buchanan E161

E118 runs with only 2" and 2 1/2" attack line...

Sorry chief, I had to :P

And they're just a FOAM call away! Right Matt? lol

What is the address of the building involved?

Verplanck E-128 was also on standby in their own Qtrs and Buchanan Engine relocated to the VA.

Yes, 2 + 2 = 4.

E118 runs with only 2" and 2 1/2" attack line...

Sorry chief, I had to :P

Yeah, you guys always have to be different.... :huh:

Someone from an outside agency asked why we called a "10-75" for this incident. Simple, we were using "All hands," and because one can never tell how long until Con Ed shows up, and I don't own a crystal ball, the decision of the IC (me) was to call for the extra help "In case." And to answer another question of why we called upon the VAFD Engine for manpower... it was a little lean at first, but after a few minutes we had over 30 people on scene and I released the Mutual Aid. They're on site, almost always staffed and ready to respond. (Not to mention some of our guys work there and know our district and our operations).

So sorry if my PROACTIVE PLANNING and LOOKING OUT FOR MY PEOPLE offends some of you! QTIP :P

John, people are going to Monday Morning QB all the time, command the scene and the coverage as you feel it should be, others can go scratch.

well said Squig. Son you don't have to explaind anything to anyone! Except maybe me, LOL.

In agreement with Mcfuzz and daddy........... John you did you and what you felt was necessary. Everyone has a different opinion how to handle the same situation. Utilize all your resources necessary, and if you don't need them, like you did, send them back. Better to have more than not enough. B)

I wasn't going to say anything BUT.... I would think that a certain 2X X-chief would have handled it better.... No offense Remember :P

I wasn't going to say anything BUT.... I would think that a certain 2X X-chief would have handled it better.... No offense Remember :P

LOL. That's what he gets for going to Home Depot in Hawthorne!

Nice of you to say that Kenny but honestly I would not have done anyhting differrently. Well maybe if a certain former police chief had been there I could have plugged the gas line with him. LOL

Gerry

You could have done it but it wouldn't have made a difference, you would have gone to a hazmat incident instead of a gas leak.

you are right Squig but think of how much pleasure I would have gotten!!!!! For both of us.

Edited by xchief2x

:lol: True, very very true!