Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MRK303

Passing of Millwood longtime member and Ex-Chief John Deems

13 posts in this topic

Millwood Fire Company

To a Brother Fireman:

The Millwood Fire Company regrets to announce the passing of longtime member and Ex-Chief John Deems. You are invited to join the Millwood Fire Company to pay last respect to John at grave site service which will be followed by a reception at Millwood firehouse #1.

Date: Saturday April 11, 2009

Time 11:00am

Place: Fair Ridge Cemetery, Quaker Road (Rt.120) Chappaqua, NY

Edited by MRK303

Born in Ossining, New York on May 1st, 1948 to Walter "Walt" and Katherine "Kitty" Deems, was taken away from us all too soon on 3/06/09 after a long battle with brain cancer. John grew up in Millwood, N.Y. among many close family members and friends. After high school John worked for the Town of New Castle Department of Public Works and later retired from The Town of Ossining Highway Department. John also owned and operated Deems Lawn and Yard Care. John was a Life Member as well as Fire Chief and President of the Millwood Fire Company. Upon a 1991 visit to Arizona John fell in love with the Grand Canyon State. John moved his family to Arizona in 1994. John was an avid golfer, having hit numerous holes in one. John was also an avid gardener growing the best tomatoes. In 2001 John moved to the great community of Sun Lakes Country Club were he made many close friends. John is preceded in death by his parents, Walt & Kitty and first wife Barbara Jean Deems. John is survived by his best friend and love of his life Christine, his ex-wife Wendy P. Deems, Son Glenn T. Deems, Daughter In-Law Kristin of Tempe, AZ, Daughter Melissa "Missy" Molnar, Son In-Law Mike Molnar of Lagrangeville, NY and Daughter Susan Callamari of Farmingville, NY. John will truly miss his 5 Grandchildren, Grayson & KolbyLynn of Tempe, AZ, Michael John & Sarah of Lagrangeville, NY and Angela of Farmingville, NY. Dad we all love you so much and we will miss you! Thank you for everything! Remember…."Keep it on the short stuff!" In lieu of flowers please make contributions in John T. Deems name to The Millwood Fire Company Benevolent Fund, Hospice of the Valley or Barrows Neurological Institute Research Center to find a cure for Glioblastoma Multiforme.

(Published in The Arizona Republic on 3/15/2009)

RIP, May GOD be with his family and friends.

John was a good man. I knew him from the early 1990's. His attitude of work hard, play hard formed a basis for many of the firefighters that I knew from MFC in my rookie years. Neat, clean, organized, and ready for hard work sum up my memories of John. Afterword, a little ball breaking followed by words of wisdom and a beer to wash them down to keep your feelings from hurting were ususally in order.

One of my fondest memories of John came in 1999 (or so) when he was back for a visit.... Maybe the MFC 75th anniversary... The evening before whatever event he was in town for, we had just finished preparations when we recieved a call for alarm bells sounding at a familiar false alarm facility off Shinglehouse Road. The chief's including his son-in-law Mike "Moe" Molnar pulled out along with E-245 (TS-2) and E-248 (TS-2's twin Kenworth down from Station 2). There were 3 of us left and I decided that John deserved a ride around the block in the brand spankin new E-247. I drove, John rode the officers seat, with one in the back. As we pulled off the ramp he handed the mic to me and said "you better talk"... I responded by saying "you've been doing this longer than I've been alive, I'm sure you'll be fine".... I tapped the "Q" as we pulled away and like an old pro he marked us on the air with a smile. We didn't even make it to the light at Rt-100 when the box was placed in service but you could tell that he appreciated the ride. He got his share of ribbing from the guys when we went out later in the night about how surprised they were that an old dude still knew how to talk on the radio. He washed the ribbing down with a beer.

Real men don't become great firemen by being taught by sissies. John let you know how it was whether it felt good or not.

I'll miss him even though it's been years since I've seen him.

Condolances to the Deems family and all their extended members.

-Alfee-

Edited by mfc2257

My condolences.

Condolences to all involved May he Rest in Peace

I had the pleasure of working with John at the Town of Ossining in the 70's and early 80's. He was a true friend and someone who always looked out for everyone. John brought me in as an associate member in Millwood and he always made you feel like family. My thoughts and prayers go out for his family at this sad time.

Rest In Peace, it sounds like he was very well liked and will be sorely missed, take comfort in each other, family and friends...

I had the pleasure of being a Chief in Croton while John was a Chief in Millwood, he always had a smile and was one hell of a friendly gentleman. It was a pleasure serving with him and being able to call him my friend. RIP John. My sincerest condolences to his family.

Rest in peace, John. It was a pleasure knowing you.

My condolences to the Deems' family, John's friends, and colleagues.