Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yorktown supervisor talks of eliminating police department

40 posts in this topic

Not to change the area but lets look at Dutchess. On RT9 from 84 north to the Poughkeepsie Galleria you have 5 different Police agencies covering that stretch of roadway. Fishkill, Wappingers, Town of Poughkeepsie, NYS Police and Dutchess County Sheriffs.

6. Town of Fishkill then Village of Fishkill then back to the Town of Fishkill before heading into the Town of Wappingers

Edited by Beekman

Lets say hypothetically that YPD was 'eliminated' (made into a WCPD precinct). What would happen to the officers with rank? Those ranks wouldn't transfer as well correct? That'd be an ugly situation IMO.

Since the ranks are civil service levels, a Sgt in YPD is = to a Sgt in WCPD, Lt = Lt, etc. The testing is the same (even held on the same day and often at the same location).

So those ranks would do just fine.

In most cases, consolidation would allow more opertunities for advancement, particularly for the smaller dept.

If the smaller dept has 4 sgts. 2 lts. 1 capt. and you take the promotional test and score #1 your chance of promotion is based on 1 person retiring, if no one does in the next 2 years, you start all over again. If you score #1 and there are 25 sgts, 12 Lt's, 6 capts. 1 person retires and you are in, and the chance of 1 out of 38 retiring vs 1 out of 7 is a big difference.

I know that YPD does a lot of community involvement programs such as DARE etc. Does the county police have community outreach programs like that?

Since the ranks are civil service levels, a Sgt in YPD is = to a Sgt in WCPD, Lt = Lt, etc. The testing is the same (even held on the same day and often at the same location).

So those ranks would do just fine.

In most cases, consolidation would allow more opertunities for advancement, particularly for the smaller dept.

If the smaller dept has 4 sgts. 2 lts. 1 capt. and you take the promotional test and score #1 your chance of promotion is based on 1 person retiring, if no one does in the next 2 years, you start all over again. If you score #1 and there are 25 sgts, 12 Lt's, 6 capts. 1 person retires and you are in, and the chance of 1 out of 38 retiring vs 1 out of 7 is a big difference.

Ok - Thanks

I knew that they were civil service so they would be all the same. I was just wondering if the ranks would be 'honored' (I guess that's a better word to use in this case) if YPD transferred to a WCPD precinct.

Thanks again.

Edited by DonMoose

Although I strongly believe that Police coverage in Westchester is very redundant in some places and could benefit from consolidation, I think that many of the Yorktown cops are from Yorktown and know the town well. It's not an easy area to patrol, and I think Yorktown PD does a great job.

Nobody's disputing that the YPD does a great job.

Lets say hypothetically that YPD was 'eliminated' (made into a WCPD precinct). What would happen to the officers with rank? Those ranks wouldn't transfer as well correct? That'd be an ugly situation IMO.

Civil Service Law and contracts would provide protection to the officers. Probably the only rank with an issue is "Detective" since it is not a tested civil service position but I'm sure that would/will be subject to the negotiations between the two jurisdictions.

I know that YPD does a lot of community involvement programs such as DARE etc. Does the county police have community outreach programs like that?

Nothing says that would have to change. When the County became involved in policing in Cortlandt it provided DARE. The County PD also provides many outreach programs to support local municipalities.

Hence the reason for 59 fire departments, 43 police departments, 40 or 50 odd EMS agencies, and 50 plus school districts in the County. THAT'S why taxes are so high! No exception, huh? Did you say the same thing about Cortlandt or Putnam Valley? Look what happened there.

I live in Cortlandt and pay similar taxes to those who live in Yorktown, but I don't have my own PD. It has been said the average homeowner in Yorktown pays about $100 for the PD per year, not much of a savings if you ask me. I'm all for consolidating some small jobs such as Buchanan, Rye Brook, etc. The bigger jobs, though, are a different story and getting rid of a 58 man department is something that has not yet been done in these parts and would require an extensive analysis that would undoubtedly take a great deal of time and cost big$$$

Remember that Supervisor Peters is a retired Yorktown PD member so one would hope that he would have their best interests in mind as well as the Town. He should know first hand what would work best for Yorktown and refuse any "deals" that don't work.

Can you trust the town to do that? There are no guarantees in life.

Sorry Chris, I can think of two...Death and Taxes...TTYL

This thread is badly misnamed! The discussion is about consolidation, not elimination! Peters does not want any PO to lose his job, as far as I can determine. I like the level of service they give us now. Hope it stays that way. <_<