Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westchester County Trunked System

64 posts in this topic

to get back to tbendick...yes...the firefighter portables do pick up all radio traffic from control..which definiatly is a problem..but if the county just fixed that problem by switching all dispatch tones to 33.96 and then divided up 46.26, 14, 42 and the other freq. we have into battalions than that would limit the depts. on the same channel. This alone should have been done a LONNNGG time ago. Tones on one freq. and dispatch on another....and fireground on another...

This is in essence what the County is doing. Tones will still be low band 46.26 or 33.96. Dispatch will be UHF trunkable system. Fireground will be on one of the 8 UHF frequencies assigned that do not need trunkable radios.

I think the big question is what frequency will IC to 60 Control be? Is it on one of the fireground frequencies but since it is trunked only the trunkable radios pick it up? Or does the IC have to switch to a seperate frequency to speak with 60 Control? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

That is more of the line i am asking....is there a way or such thing that the IC portable can be on a channel that will transmitt over both fireground and trunking at same time and recieve both fireground and trunking at same time....

the trunking portable can be also programed with the 8 fireground freqs. So yes, the IC could carry one radio, but he would have to switch between the two different channels, one channel would be fire ground, the other would be thr trunk talk group to 60 control... but once again, this is not safe, when then chief is talking to 60, he will not hear any fire grond chatter, so he could miss a urgent message or a mayday... and if he is on the fire ground freqs. 60 control or responding in rigs will not be able to reach him... so once again... 2 different channels = 2 radios, which = a safe operation for all on the scene...

ffo26...the system you are speaking of in rockland now is similar to the one i described...first..why are they changing it...it seems to work and work well in rockland...and why can't they just do the same thing with a trunked system....? will need to have a trunked portable for each apparatus in case there is no officer and now the IC (chief or officer) will need 2 radios...I can't see how this is progress

we are going to trunking for pure interoperability PD,FD, EMS will all be on the trunking system.

they way i described it you dont need to portables . the mobile trunking radio can remoted to the pump panel for communications with the dispatcher and incoming units.

i believe that the pyramid mobile repeaters can be interfaced nto the XTL- or MCS line of radio's. i know there are settings in the pyramid to do trunking.