Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikerabbit

Central Westchester Horns / Sirens

20 posts in this topic

Does anybody have a listing of the departments in central Westcchester that use single horns or sirens for alarms. I always hear various horns sounding, but I am unsure what department they are comming from.

Thanks

Mike

I kno pleasantville, dobbs ferry use them. im sure there is more though

Irvington used to. I remember counting the whistles, running to the phone book to read the codes, and on my bike.

Ossining has horns and house sirens.

On a clear day in the Summer, I can hear the Grasslands horn, in Ossining, when they have a box alarm.

Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Elmsford, and Valhalla all have horn systems. On a clear day, I can hear horn systems from across the river.

I kno pleasantville, dobbs ferry use them. im sure there is more though

In Pleasantville, the horns on Fire Headquarters are still in service; the horns on Hays Hose in the old village have been out of service since Jan 1994 I believe when they cut the gamewell system loose which ran the horn and house bells.

North White Plains uses a siren.

In Pleasantville, the horns on Fire Headquarters are still in service; the horns on Hays Hose in the old village have been out of service since Jan 1994 I believe when they cut the gamewell system loose which ran the horn and house bells.

That sounds about right. Gamewell system was cut when Pleasantville switched to dispatching by 60 Control, as the 'loop' through town from Headquarters on Washington Avenue up to Hays Hose in the Old Village was in poor shape. Each of the 3 schools was also on the wire, and had their own set on rounds when the horn blew for an alarm.

Does Hawthorne FD have a fire horn? If they do does it go off for their EMS like Briarcliff Manor.

Pity the sorry soul who was on the balcony when it blew....

Hey, anymore Texas heatwaves ????? ;););)

Does Hawthorne FD have a fire horn? If they do does it go off for their EMS like Briarcliff Manor.

From looking at the pictures with Hawthorne's trucks that someone recently posted, it appears that Hawthorne has 2 Type B Gamewell Diaphones on the roof.

Yes Hawthorne has horns that go off ONLY for fire calls, and they only go off during the day. (when they are working :P )

West Harrison still utilizes a whistle / horn for all calls 24 hours a day.

Thornwood has a siren. I can remember growing up in Valhalla when they had the signal system. Each street had a code and the horn blew the code for 4 rounds. Grasslands was 777 - so you heard that 4 times. And guess what? No one ever complained! Now you have people saying that the sirens are ruining "their quality of life"! I think these people need to get a life!!!

Pity the sorry soul who was on the balcony when it blew....

Hey, anymore Texas heatwaves ????? ;););)

Ahhh...pleasant memories :)

We use house sirens from 0700-1900. Where I live, in Croton, I can hear the house sirens from Montrose and Buchanan, horns and sirens from Ossining, occassionally Millwood and Briarcliff and across the river from Haverstraw and Stony Point. A couple of weeks ago I was at the Ossining Dog Park with my dog, and I heard the Grasslands horn going off like it was a mile away. When we still had our horns, I remember hearing them in Ossining and Millwood a few times. The house sirens we have now aren't as loud, and if my windows are closed I don't hear them.

Briarcliff replaced their siren/horn with an electronic equivalent about 2 or so years ago. it was pretty funny when they first put it in, because the timing was extremely off, and it would sound at all hours of the night. and while it does go off for EMS as well as Fire, an EMS siren is a single cycle, and is not accompanied by the horn

I can hear West Harrison Vallhalla North White Plains and some times Ardsley and Elmsford the sirens and horns does not bother me at all

Edited by Jared1979

From looking at the pictures with Hawthorne's trucks that someone recently posted, it appears that Hawthorne has 2 Type B Gamewell Diaphones on the roof.

Yes Hawthorne has horns that go off ONLY for fire calls, and they only go off during the day. (when they are working :P )

Thanks for the help guys. From Mount Kisco you can hear Bedford Hills, Millwood, Chapaqua, and sometimes Bedford Village otherwise we don't here to much. In Mount Kisco are horns blow three times for a company call: One engine Co. Ladder and resuce and five times for a department call: Two engine Co's ladder and rescue.

Purchase has a siren that functions from 8am-8pm, it also goes off at noon monday through saturday.