Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

How Was Harrisburg?

12 posts in this topic

How was Harrisburg this year? Anybody go? Anything new or exciting?

How was Harrisburg this year? Anybody go? Anything new or exciting?

No much new, except for Ferrara had there new MVP pumper, its similar to Pierces PUC, but can actually pump 2x more water. Otherwise the show was basically the same stuff as before, with a lot of companies taking about the lack of sales and how all the other companies were going to go out of biz.

I was there showing off a demo vehicle in the old main bldg. and my end was half filled. The same old flashy-blinkies, flashlights, gloves yada yada yada.... I was talking with some of the staff there and they said it was a gloomy year. They were unsure if they even made a profit this year due to the low turnout.

-Steve

I did not attensd the show, but did have the chance to see the Rosenbauer demos at HACC (Harrisburg Area Community College) Saturday evening. Only a hand full of people showed up. The reps had trays of food which he offered to us. I will post some photos later on o fthe tower ladder, engine, and oversize brush tuck. I was surprised to see them pushing the foam concept with what looked to be booster lines.

I went but didn't see anything exciting but then again I haven't seen anything exciting in a long time. I thought Reading's (PA) KME TDA was attractive as were most of the Pierce units. Nice layouts on the Pierce rescues. KME's ARFF was interesting. I thought the crowd was going to be heavy since the parking lot was as full as it is in years past is but by 1pm things inside were light to moderate. As usually if you were looking to buy smacker stuff you were in your glory. I had to chuckle to myself observing all the chief's vehicles parked in handicapped lot with permit hang tags. Not sure what type of message that sends. :mellow:

hey NJ Medic

I saw those chief's cars too and thought the samething.

Any local apparatus displayed at the show?

No much new, except for Ferrara had there new MVP pumper, its similar to Pierces PUC, but can actually pump 2x more water.

What were your opinions of the Ferrara MVP over the Pierce PUC? I haven't had the chance to see the MVP in person yet, but have heard Ferrara designed it with the flaws of the PUC in mind....don't know how true that which brings me to ask you the question....

What were your opinions of the Ferrara MVP over the Pierce PUC? I haven't had the chance to see the MVP in person yet, but have heard Ferrara designed it with the flaws of the PUC in mind....don't know how true that which brings me to ask you the question....

Since the MVP is rated at 2,000 gpm or more (they claim they should be able to do 3,000 with the next one off the line) and the PUC was designed to do 1,500 but in tests is around 1,200. If your buying a pumper, then it should be able to pump, if your buying a quint, then its pump should be able to actually feed itself, I dont think the PUC can do it.

Despite living in the Harrisburg Suburbs, I usually avoid the Fire Expo, however, I did go this year due to the fact that I brought my company's former engine (and now former township spare) there in an attempt to sell it. I must say, that I think that it was a better Expo than in previous years due to the lower attendance because it gave you a better conversation with the dealers and could really get a good sense of what was new and coming from the manufacturers. I was impressed with the new KME crash truck and Reading's new KME tiller. Here are a couple of the pictures that I took while I was there:

Although not offically on display at Expo is Harrisburg's new Pierce Wagon Three:

post-4969-1242696078.jpg

Their company patch:

post-4969-1242696222.jpg

My Company's former engine, 1982 Pierce, Ex-Linglestown Fire Company, Ex-Lower Paxton Township Spare:

post-4969-1242696396.jpg

City of Lancaster Truck 2 - 100' Spartan/Crimson Rear-Mount Tower:

post-4969-1242696487.jpg

I know it is a bad photo, but here is a demo Spartan/Crimson "Boomer":

post-4969-1242696624.jpg

Colonial Park (Lower Paxton Township) PA KME Engine:

post-4969-1242696694.jpg

Paxtonia (Lower Paxton Township) PA Seagrave Engine:

post-4969-1242696770.jpg

Memphis, TN International/Taylor Made Ambulance:

post-4969-1242696838.jpg

Lastly, Hershey Medical Center Life Lion Aeromedical Eurocopter Dauphin 2:

post-4969-1242696932.jpg

I went but didn't see anything exciting but then again I haven't seen anything exciting in a long time. I thought Reading's (PA) KME TDA was attractive as were most of the Pierce units. Nice layouts on the Pierce rescues. KME's ARFF was interesting. I thought the crowd was going to be heavy since the parking lot was as full as it is in years past is but by 1pm things inside were light to moderate. As usually if you were looking to buy smacker stuff you were in your glory. I had to chuckle to myself observing all the chief's vehicles parked in handicapped lot with permit hang tags. Not sure what type of message that sends. :mellow:

Yeah, me and my kid had a great time climbing all over L-3. It wasn't worth the amount in gas to drive there this year, but i promised him. All I came away with was a new pair of boots.

BTW - how many miss the bikini-clad models hanging from the aerials? ;)

The Colonial Park engine was put into service in January. The engine is equipped with CAFS. It is also equipped with a seatbelt alarm. This is a safety device to make sure everyone is buckled up. The alarm system is supposed to prevent the truck from moving.

Thanks for the pics Union 241 and Grumpyff.

The Ferrara MVP will be at FIRE Expo 2009 (aka Cheif's Show)

The Reading KME TDA I was told had specially designed outriggers so that the plates were not needed. The plates I was told were left on because the design change was after the rig was in production.