Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x134

Fallen Firefighters Memorial In Poughkeepsie

15 posts in this topic

After reading the article in the Poughkeepsie Journal today I have been thinking about the enormous price tag that is attached to the "IN THE LINE OF DUTY MEMORIAL" in Mansion Square park organized by THE EXEMPT FIREFIGHTERS CLUB.

I think it is always a good idea to remember those that have died in the line of duty. But I must say , with the way the economy is today is it really feasible to spend a total of $60,000 DOLLARS WHEN THE PROJECT IS ALL SAID AND DONE? My answer is no way! Maybe something smaller would have been appropriate for right now.

The thing that really killed me is the part that said that the Exempts are the spokes people for all the Volunteer Fire Departments in Dutchess County. I hope this was a mis print. Is this monument just for Volunteers who have died in the line of duty? The article also states that there are 2200 members. Really? I had gotten one flyer that TOLD me that I was a member and have not heard a thing since. I HAD NEVER APPLIED FOR MEMBERSHIP. I have not been to this place once!

I know of a few Career members of Arlington, City of Poughkeepsie, and I think Beacon had a member die decades ago. Are they represented in this Grand Cathedral in the middle of the City?????????

Any other comments or thoughts?

Edited by x134

I really have no problem with the project but I will say I have never been to the exempts location on Mansion Street nor will I probably go there, not for me.

The thing that really killed me is the part that said that the Exempts are the spokes people for all the Volunteer Fire Departments in Dutchess County.

Any other comments or thoughts?

I don't think they speak for the volunteer firefighters of Dutchess County; The Dutchess County Volunteer Firemans Association (DCVFA) most likely is the mainstream organization that represents them; perhaps they (Exempts Club) represent exempt members? Chances are its probably another Poughkeepsie Journal faux pax.

That is not the first time the exempts have said" they are the voice of the volunteers in Dutchess County" . This quote has been in the Journal every time there is an article about the exempts. I think we really need to find out what the exempts do/are. The only thing I know about them is they all sit out on their deck/ bar on North Clinton St and drink til the wee hrs of the morn. I think they get a lot more credit then they deserve. Yes the memorial is nice and all, but I agree with Don a little over the top. Plus I feel the Dutchess 911 center would have been a better place for the placement of the memorial rather then the "Ghetto" park.

Edited by celticmedic643

That is not the first time the exempts have said" they are the voice of the volunteers in Dutchess County" . This quote has been in the Journal every time there is an article about the exempts. I think we really need to find out what the exempts do/are. The only thing I know about them is they all sit out on their deck/ bar on North Clinton St and drink til the wee hrs of the morn. I think they get a lot more credit then they deserve. Yes the memorial is nice and all, but I agree with Don a little over the top. Plus I feel the Dutchess 911 center would have been a better place for the placement of the memorial rather then the "Ghetto" park.

The 911 center has a memorial there, but it's not the Exempts, so if you don't own it, you can't control it.

The 911 center has a memorial there, but it's not the Exempts, so if you don't own it, you can't control it.

Thats my point. Does the County recognize the exempts in any way?

The monument has 19 names on it, from both volunteer and paid departments.

Josh I saw the pictures Lori took, very nice.

Josh I saw the pictures Lori took, very nice.

It was a nice ceremony.

The monument has 19 names on it, from both volunteer and paid departments.

Thanks for clearing that up. That was one of the many questions I have. I happened to drive by it yesterday. Don't get me wrong it is nice, just seems to be a bit much......Here is another question I have ...where are they getting there money from? I saw a sign one door down from the club on Clinton Street that said "future expansion for the exempt firefighters club" They have enough money to buy property in the City? WOW! I thought we were in a recession?

Apparently they make money off of the dinners they hold every week, as well as the bar and member fees, I don't know 100% but from talking to a few people that is the gist I get.

They did buy a house and the garage a door down or two, but I don't know the details of that either.

I agree Don....a super nice gesture....but my Family will never "stroll the park" and visit the memorial...it is inside the confines of Mansion Square Park....and while it is patrolled by some of the best cops in the County...it is still, as mentioned above...inside Ghetto Park.....

I know and respect many of the Exempt's members, some good fireman are regulars there...but as mentioned, they are not MY voice....

I agree Don....a super nice gesture....but my Family will never "stroll the park" and visit the memorial...it is inside the confines of Mansion Square Park....and while it is patrolled by some of the best cops in the County...it is still, as mentioned above...inside Ghetto Park.....

I know and respect many of the Exempt's members, some good fireman are regulars there...but as mentioned, they are not MY voice....

To all who have commented on the LODD memorial in the park. I respect your opinions as I hope you'll respect mine. For two years much labor and fund raising was done to put in place a fitting memorial to the FF of Dutchess County Fire Departments who made the the ultimate sacrifice. It is amazing just how many, over the years as career or volunteer who gave their lives for their communities. The cost of the project should be of no consiquence. How can you put a dollar value on a persons life who gave all for their community. This memorial will stand the test of time and man. Unfortunately there will always be politics to slant or muddy a project to honor the history of fire fighting which is all to fast being lost.

I had the privilege of attending the service at St. Paul's as well as the unveiling of the stone after, it was extremely tastefully & professionally done. Taking no sides, honoring all.

Each memorial stone should compliment the other to preserve the memory of all fallen firefighters. It should not matter where they are placed. It is unfortunate that the Mansion Street Park has the rep. that it has, but where the memorial is placed should be a safe haven for anyone who wants to stop by.

To all who have commented on the LODD memorial in the park. I respect your opinions as I hope you'll respect mine. For two years much labor and fund raising was done to put in place a fitting memorial to the FF of Dutchess County Fire Departments who made the the ultimate sacrifice. It is amazing just how many, over the years as career or volunteer who gave their lives for their communities. The cost of the project should be of no consiquence. How can you put a dollar value on a persons life who gave all for their community. This memorial will stand the test of time and man. Unfortunately there will always be politics to slant or muddy a project to honor the history of fire fighting which is all to fast being lost.

I had the privilege of attending the service at St. Paul's as well as the unveiling of the stone after, it was extremely tastefully & professionally done. Taking no sides, honoring all.

Each memorial stone should compliment the other to preserve the memory of all fallen firefighters. It should not matter where they are placed. It is unfortunate that the Mansion Street Park has the rep. that it has, but where the memorial is placed should be a safe haven for anyone who wants to stop by.

I am a family member of one of those 19 names and I understand the controversies that have surrounded this group. My entire family attended the service and were very pleased in how it was done and were moved by the gesture of the Exempt's. There are duplicate memorials all over this county that duplicate each other whether they be war memorials, police memorials or firefighters. As far as I concerned the more the better at least we will be constantly reminded of the sacrifices that have been made. Let's remember one very important point, Career or Volunteer, let's pray we don't have to add anymore names to any memorial.

Just my 2 cents!

Stay Safe!

Scott Post