Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Sixteen Years Later, We Still Remember 585

17 posts in this topic

Twelve years ago today, June 22nd, Lt. Michael Neuner died in the Line of Duty fighting a house fire with the Brewster Fire Department in Putnam County. Mike was a Police Officer in the City of Peekskill, a former member of the Putnam County Sheriffs Department, Armonk and Patterson Fire Departments. My Uncle Mike was one of the funniest, coolest and nicest guys to ever walk this earth.

We remember you today and every day, Satch. You may be gone but you'll never be forgotten!

x129K, ems-buff, grumpyff and 6 others like this

Man...I remember that day like yesterday.....I was marching in a parade in East Greenbush....got in trouble for jumping in some guy's pool with my uniform pants on....My wife and I went on our second date ever that evening....

RIP Brother

Although I didn"t know him, your Uncle Mike sounds like he was a Great Guy. He certainly played a major role in protecting the public with his police and fire service. On this anniversary, we need to remember what your Uncle did. For that, "we thank him". And we sometimes need to be reminded of what others have done similiar to what your Uncle Mike did. We should NEVER forget any of them, or their families. He is no doubt up there somewhere with all the others that have given up so much for us. "Thank You Lt. Michael Neuner". Edited by nfd2004

I remember that day very clearly in a different way, my other sister calling me in the wee hours of the morning telling me that Mike got killed, my first thought was he got shot, it never occured to me that he got killed fighting a fire. I remember getting to his house and 3 of the kids were home, Jamie was in Rockland county playing softball, I took Michael (the oldest son) for a walk and had a talk with him, then sitting around the house watching Nick and Jen (6 and 3 at the time respectively) playing having no real idea that their dad was never coming home again, calling my brother in Michigan telling him the news. Then sitting in on the planning meetings with the Brewster FD so my sister Janet wouldn't have to. I remember that I talked with the members of my family that were in the fire service and to our Chief (I was serving our dept as 1st asst chief at the time) telling them that I can't do this anymore and that I was quitting the fire department and most of them felt the same way all the way to our family in Michigan. Then at the wake that was open to everyone at the middle school I went outside for some air (alright to be alone & cry) I saw what you see in no other walk of life, that huge sea of blue, cops & fireman from all over the tri state area and realized that I could never walk away from this and the best thing to do was to stick it out and try to do everything I personally could to keep this from happening again. When the funeral was over and we were trying to get back to the "new" normal I spoke with my Chief Bill Vlad about starting a FAS Team, the Chief not only gave me his ok but told me to do whatever I needed to do and to get whatever I needed to make this happen, so was the start of one of the first FAS Teams in Westchester and still one of the best in my opinion. Yes like my son said Mike "Satch" was a hell of a guy, anyone that knew him would have to agree he would do anything for you anytime. Mike and I had so much in common, both officers on the FD (my second time through the ranks), both of us police officers and both of us loved the same girl. It goes without saying that I miss you Mike and although you are gone from us here on earth you are still with me each and every minute of every day. Because of this incident I have made many great friends at the Brewster FD and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation where my wife and I go every year to volunteer for memorial weekend. We were so moved by the weekend in 1998 when Mike was one of the honorees that we had to get involved. RIP Brother we love you and miss you and I know that you will be there in March in spirit for Jamie's wedding. I know when I close my eyes that day I will see you walking her down the aisle with that huge Satch smile.

ems-buff, BFD1054, Bnechis and 1 other like this

verry touching sir (xchief2X) straight from the heart......im left speechless...but felt it necessary to say im sorry for ur loss and am glad there are people out there such as your self to help the younger generation out. stay safe everyone :)

xchief2x, remember585, we are all sorry or your lose but as along as we we use his lose as a learning experience for our firefighters his memory will never be lost. Every time I do a firefighter survival course we use the Brewster incident as a learning tool.

may he rest in peace knowing that even after his death he is helping other firefighters.

Walter

Miss you Uncle Mike!!! Never forget 585!! Forever in our hearts!

Walter and all the instructors that teach survival please use this as a learning tool so it doesn't happen again. and another family doesn't have to deal with the pain it causes. Every year at the Memorial weekend we all say that we hope to never see each other again as we all hope that there will never have to be another memorial weekend but we are still killing our brothers and sisters at a rate of about 100+ a year.

Edited by xchief2x

A sad day for both the FD/PD back then!

I remember the call, as we were Mutual Aid for water supply/ I heard a FF was missing and was shocked and deeply saddened when I was told who it was. Mike was an all around great guy. May his loss never be forgotten, and may all firefighters everywhere learn by this tragedy, and stay safe.

A sad day for both the FD/PD back then!

I only knew Mike from law enforcement. I will never forget the night when he was a Putnam County Sheriff he backed me up on a foot/car chase that originated in the Southeast Train Station. When I finally stopped the car on Rt 312, Mike was there to help me make the arrest before I could even get my canine partner out of my car. It was that way with him all the time. First guy on the scene and always knew what to do to help.

He is missed by myself and all of my department. I am proud to have known him.

I cant believe it has been 12 years. Man do I feel old. I still have a 585 sticker around somewhere.

Rest Easy Brother

Gone but never forgotten. God bless.

I know you're doing a great job not only keeping his memory alive, John, but to prevent another tragedy from occuring. Thoughts and prayers on such a tragic loss...

Bump for 16 years

JM15 likes this

Amen He Was One Of The Last Good Peekskill Cops I Remember Him Now & Always Rest In Peace Mike

All I can say is wow... My he rest in peace still, and may you all still find comfort in knowing he is watching over you.