Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Stamford CT: New Rescue 1 And Other Apparatus Issues

8 posts in this topic

Maybe it's been replaced or I am really out of touch, but has Stamford's Rescue 1 (the Freightliner/Hackney) been replaced? That truck has GOT to be beat by now...also, do they still have the Mack rescue?

Also, I'm completly lost with all the consolidation or whatevers going on in Stamford.....all the apparatus from the 5 volunteer departments...will any of that be relocated downtown or switched around? Is there any new apparatus currently on order?

Also, what's Stamford EMS using these days? Still the Ford F-350/Hortons?

Thanks!

Maybe it's been replaced or I am really out of touch, but has Stamford's Rescue 1 (the Freightliner/Hackney) been replaced? That truck has GOT to be beat by now...also, do they still have the Mack rescue?

Also, I'm completly lost with all the consolidation or whatevers going on in Stamford.....all the apparatus from the 5 volunteer departments...will any of that be relocated downtown or switched around? Is there any new apparatus currently on order?

Also, what's Stamford EMS using these days? Still the Ford F-350/Hortons?

Thanks!

Last I heard they used the Mack as a reserve rescue which is used to carry the dive equipment. Not sure if this is still their standard setup.

Seth:

A new Rescue 1 is presently being constructed by HME. It will be very similar to the one delivered to the Turn of River Fire Department last year. The City unit should be slightly longer with slightly more rooftop compartment space than TORs. I do not know the delivery date, but I am sure one of the other Stamford regulars could provide that.

The present Hackney is still in service as running as R1. The 1991 Mack MC that runs as Rescue 2 has been relocated to HQ due to space issues with the arrival of the 75' rear mount HME/Ahrens Fox running as Engine 5. The dive gear has been relocated to an older modified handi-van and will roll only for dive purposes. R2 is strictly a reserve rescue truck and no longer rolls with the dive gear.

2 new HME Engines are expected to be delivered very soon. One of the Engines in being delivered for the Glenbrook Fire Department and will replace their older Sutphen Engine (E34). The other Engine will be used by the City and should go to Engine 8. The Engines will be of same spec as the most recent HME Engines delivered to Stamford. Glenbrook's Engine will have an upgraded warning package installed by Whelen Engineering.

Also of note: The City went out to bid last Monday for one 95 foot mid-mount tower ladder to replace the 1996 Sutphen Tower serving at Truck 2 (South End). It is believed that the new Tower will return to HQ as Truck 1 upon delivery and T1's present HME/RK rear mount will run as Truck 2.

Stamford EMS has recently had their special operations unit completely rebuilt and remounted on a new Ford F550 chassis. Not sure who did the work, but they did a very nice job.

No other transactions of the volunteer Companies that I have heard. The reorganization has been mostly confined to career staffing at this point. Contrary to what some are saying, the career and volunteer staff are doing just fine interacting and working with one another.

If I have made any errors, I am sure one of the many other Stamford people in this forum will be able to assist and be glad to tell me where I am wrong.

Hope that helps.

Edited by x152

Thanks x152 for the update!

There's been so many new deliveries in the past couple of years to Stamford, I can't keep up. Maybe one day my camera will catch up on them all, but I highly doubt it will be anytime soon.

I cannot remember where I heard this, but is Stamford trying to buy a aerialscope? That would be awesome for them. I know the pricetag is high though.

I cannot remember where I heard this, but is Stamford trying to buy a aerialscope? That would be awesome for them. I know the pricetag is high though.

If I am not mistaken, there are not a lot of 95' mid-mounts available. I think they specifically wrote the specs that way when they put it out to bid. I think that would put the aerialscope as the "front runner" in the bid.

If I am not mistaken, there are not a lot of 95' mid-mounts available. I think they specifically wrote the specs that way when they put it out to bid. I think that would put the aerialscope as the "front runner" in the bid.

Awesome, I personally think there is no more versitile truck than a 75' aerialscope, in conjunction with a good 100'+ stick of course.