Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Old License plates for sale: Illegal?

16 posts in this topic

Some gift shop on Fifth Avenue, NYC near the library sells genuine, old license plates from many states.

Is this legal??? It is problematic as even if the plates are not valid, they can be used for car theft, etc.

Thanks

Dr. Zuki

I have been searching for a statute, or some explanation on the DMV site, but not able to find one yet.

I do know it IS illegal to sell old plates, as they are supposed to be surrendered to be destroyed once they are no longer valid.

I'm not sure of the statute, but I do know that it is possible to register a vehicle with old plates,eg: you own a 1939 vehicle, if you can get your hands on a set of 1939 Worlds Fair plates. But I don't know if the vehicle has to be registered as historic. One of our members works at DMV, next time I see him I'll attempt to get further info for ya.

If it is illegal DONT SELL IT TO A POLICE OFFICER, lololololol. I dont believe it is because it is a collecters Item. I believe if it is a new plate it has to surrenderd because they wil reuse it. I have some I have gotten over my short life, lolol. If they are illegal then I dont have any, wink wink, lolol.

Thomas

License plates are actually the property of the Department of Motor Vehicles so it is illegal to sell them. Yes, you can re-register historical plates on historical vehicles but that is subject to the rules and regulations of DMV.

I've seen license plates for sale in other states also and it always struck me as strange that they could/would be sold as it is a great way to cover criminal activity.

If it is illegal DONT SELL IT TO A POLICE OFFICER, lololololol. I dont believe it is because it is a collecters Item. I believe if it is a new plate it has to surrenderd because they wil reuse it. I have some I have gotten over my short life, lolol. If they are illegal then I dont have any, wink wink, lolol.

Thomas

They are turned in because they get physically shredded so they can NOT be used again.

There are several places that sell old plates and you can if you have front and back get a vehicle registered with no problem. I have had several. Don't try a to use plates on a car not new during the period they were issued. 60's plates on a 60's car etc.

If i recall, prior to the 80's in the transferrable registration era, license plates were not mandated to be destroyed, and were property of the person who last registered the vehicle. Insurance was also not a requirement then. The biggest reason plates are re-collected and destroyed now is so they can't be placed on a car they're not registered to and have them not be in the system at all...

If i recall, prior to the 80's in the transferrable registration era, license plates were not mandated to be destroyed, and were property of the person who last registered the vehicle. Insurance was also not a requirement then. The biggest reason plates are re-collected and destroyed now is so they can't be placed on a car they're not registered to and have them not be in the system at all...

License plates (in NYS) have always been the property of the DMV and not the registrant of the vehicle to which they are assigned. I'm not sure about your information about insurance either, in the '80's insurance was required in NY.

NYS retains ownership of the plates so if the registration is suspended or revoked, or if a vehicle is removed from the road, they can require their return. Of course that is not always successful but imagine if the plates didn't belong to them?

License plates (in NYS) have always been the property of the DMV and not the registrant of the vehicle to which they are assigned. I'm not sure about your information about insurance either, in the '80's insurance was required in NY.

NYS retains ownership of the plates so if the registration is suspended or revoked, or if a vehicle is removed from the road, they can require their return. Of course that is not always successful but imagine if the plates didn't belong to them?

So Chris, how was I able to come across 3 sets of old plates, one for my '67, one for my "55 and one for the '29 all from the proper years, take them to DMV and get registrations using them without any hassle?

Funny this topic comes up now, I just came across my old "Statue of Liberty" VF plates and thought about selling them on eBay.

Those plates present an odd situation, as NYS never required them to be turned in when they were discontinued at the end of 2000 and the new style "Empire State" plates were issued. In fact, you had the option to keep your old tag # for a one time fee, which is why there are new style plates that don't fit the ABC-1234 format. In any case, you were allowed to keep the old "Liberty" plates, and they became invalid for use on all vehicles at the end of 2001. So, my feeling and understanding is that the state gave up ownership of those "Liberty" plates once they reissued the "Empire" plates without requiring the old, invalid plates to be turned in.

I just called DMV and asked if I could sell or give away my "Liberty" plates, and was told "Sure, they haven't been valid in years, it's not a problem" Although he did caution that just for the sake of avoiding any hassle, it would probably be best not to sell or give away any plates that have a tag # that is currently registered, regardless of the status of the physical plates themselves. He did confirm that the DMV does NOT reissue tag #'s.

Hope this bit of info helps clear things up, at least about the "Liberty" series plates. Of course it goes without saying that I have none of this in writing, so proceed at your own risk and don't blame me if you get jammed up! :lol:

res6cue, you are indeed correct about keeping your old plates. Way back when we had the yellow plates I tried to give them back to DMV and they said we don't want them. I said what should I do with them. They said what ever you want. same thing with the Liberty plates. So they are hanging up in my garage with plates that i have collected from just about every state I've visited to. The comment about vintage plates is correct also. i have a 1967 firebird that I'm looking for 67 plates to put on it which the DMV will allow on the car provided you have the front and back and the car is registered as historical or antique. hope this clears things up

Funny this topic comes up now, I just came across my old "Statue of Liberty" VF plates and thought about selling them on eBay.

Those plates present an odd situation, as NYS never required them to be turned in when they were discontinued at the end of 2000 and the new style "Empire State" plates were issued. In fact, you had the option to keep your old tag # for a one time fee, which is why there are new style plates that don't fit the ABC-1234 format. In any case, you were allowed to keep the old "Liberty" plates, and they became invalid for use on all vehicles at the end of 2001. So, my feeling and understanding is that the state gave up ownership of those "Liberty" plates once they reissued the "Empire" plates without requiring the old, invalid plates to be turned in.

I just called DMV and asked if I could sell or give away my "Liberty" plates, and was told "Sure, they haven't been valid in years, it's not a problem" Although he did caution that just for the sake of avoiding any hassle, it would probably be best not to sell or give away any plates that have a tag # that is currently registered, regardless of the status of the physical plates themselves. He did confirm that the DMV does NOT reissue tag #'s.

Hope this bit of info helps clear things up, at least about the "Liberty" series plates. Of course it goes without saying that I have none of this in writing, so proceed at your own risk and don't blame me if you get jammed up! :lol:

I'm glad someone had a little clearer explaination to give then i did. Thank you

So Chris, how was I able to come across 3 sets of old plates, one for my '67, one for my "55 and one for the '29 all from the proper years, take them to DMV and get registrations using them without any hassle?

As I said, vintage (historical) plates can be registered to a vintage/historical vehicle. Last I checked, '67, '55 and '29 all qualify as historical. If you couldn't find a vintage plate from the right year, you'd have to get a contemporary historical plate. You couldn't take a plate you found or bought and register it on 1999 Astrovan.

I should have qualified my comments by saying current license plates, the blue/white ones, can't be bought or sold.

Historical Plates and Vintage Plates

What is a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle?

A historical vehicle is a vehicle that is more than 25 years old. A vehicle qualifies for a historical registration when it begins the 26th model year. For example, a 1978 model vehicle qualifies for historical registration in 2004.

Some vehicles that are less than 25 years old and have unique characteristics can qualify for a historical registration. The DMV determines if the vehicle has historical, classic or exhibit value.

A vintage vehicle is a historical vehicle and receives a historical registration. The registrant of a vintage vehicle can put vintage plates on the vehicle. Vintage plates are authentic NYS vehicle plates that were issued during the model year of the vehicle. More information about vintage plates appears below.

What are historical plates?

Historical plates display either:

a five-digit number followed by the letters HX (for example, 99999HX), or

the letters HX followed by a five-digit number (for example, HX22222).

What are vintage plates?

Vintage plates are the authentic vehicle plates that were issued in NYS during the model year of the vehicle. You can put vintage plates on a historical vehicle instead of historical plates. For example, you can use a set of authentic vehicle plates that the DMV issued in 1963 on a vehicle of model year 1963. You must provide a full set of original vintage plates. The DMV cannot issue a registration for vehicle plates that are copies or that are painted again. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1972 and earlier must display the embossed year or have the original metal tab for that year. Make sure that the tab is attached and legible. A sticker that indicates the model year is not required to use the vintage plates. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1973 and later do not have metal tabs or plate stickers.

How do I get vintage plates?

You can buy vintage plates from a local source like an automobile collector, an antique dealer, or a flea market. Make sure that the vintage plates are authentic. Newer copies are not acceptable for a vintage registration. Before you purchase a vintage plate, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 518-402-4839 to verify that the number on the plate is available for your vintage plate registration.

Is a historical registration different from a standard registration?

Yes. You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation. An automobile collector normally registers a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle to use it for exhibits, club activities, tours, and parades.

How do I get a historical registration or a vintage registration for a vehicle?

To apply for historical plates, you must sign the Owner's Certification Statement on form MV-440H (Historical License Plates). Form MV-440H includes the instructions to apply for a historical registration. You must complete form MV-82 (Application for Registration/Title). Bring form MV-440H, form MV-82, and all other required documents listed on form MV-440H to a DMV office.

To apply for vintage plates, you must sign the Owner's Certification Statement on form MV-440V (Vintage License Plates). Form MV-440V includes the instructions to apply for vintage plates. You must complete form MV-82 (Application for Registration/Title).

Send these items to the Custom Plates Unit at the address shown on form MV-440V:

form MV-440V and form MV-82,

all other required documents listed on form MV-440V, and

a personal check or a money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles" in the amount of the fee shown on form MV-440V.

You can call the Custom Plates Unit at 1-518-402-4838. The office hours are 8:00 - 4:00, Monday - Friday.

Is a historical registration or a vintage registration valid for one year or for two years?

Historical registrations and vintage registrations are valid for one year.

Is special insurance required for a historical registration?

Yes. Contact your insurance company to get information about insurance for a historical vehicle or a vintage vehicle.

The insurance identification card that is issued to you must display the word "HISTORICAL" to indicate the type of insurance coverage that is provided. "Antique" and "classic" are not acceptable words.

Can the DMV reissue vintage plates to another registrant?

If a historical registration expires, the DMV can reissue the historical plates or transfer them as original historical plates.

If the vintage plates are currently registered to a vehicle:

The current registrant brings the vintage plates to a local DMV office. The DMV indicates on the registration record that the vehicle plates are stored. (The DMV office does not store vintage plates. The record indicates this status for insurance purposes and to complete the transfer.)

The office then issues a receipt (form FS-6T). Keep the receipt. Give the vintage plates to the new registrant.

After the registration record indicates that the vintage plates are stored, the current registrant provides the following items to the Custom Plates Unit:

A letter that states that the current registrant transfers all rights related to the vintage plates to the new registrant. The statement must include the name of the new registrant.

A photocopy of the driver license of the current registrant who transfers the rights.

A photocopy of the vehicle registration of the new registrant who will receive the rights to the vintage plates.

The transfer fee.

If the current registrant of the vintage plate is deceased, and there is an Executor or Administrator of the Estate, the new registrant must provide:

a copy of the death certificate,

a letter from the Executor or Administrator that authorizes the transfer of the vintage plates,

the proofs of identity and date of birth of the Executor or Administrator, and

a copy of the Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration.

The Custom Plates Unit then issues the registration documents and form MV-404 to the new registrant. The new registrant puts the vintage plates and the registration sticker on the vehicle. The new registrant can destroy the old vehicle plates.

If I remove a vehicle from the road, can I keep the historical plates or vintage plates?

You can store historical plates at a DMV office. Most offices can store vehicle plates. The DMV office gives you a receipt (form FS-6T) when you surrender your vehicle plates. Verify the information listed on the receipt, and make sure that the receipt states, "Stored at Local Office". Keep the receipt.

DMV offices do not store vintage plates. The DMV indicates on the registration record that the vehicle plates are stored.

Note: The policy to store vehicle plates is different in each office. Ask your local DMV office about the storage policy in that office.

You can register the vehicle again or use your stored vehicle plates to register another vehicle. Go to the office that has your vehicle plates. Make sure that you bring the receipt (form FS-6T) and the other documents required to register your vehicle.

How to Surrender Vehicle Plates and Registration Items

NYS law requires you to surrender your vehicle plates to the NYSDMV before there is a lapse in your liability insurance. If you do not surrender your vehicle plates, the DMV will suspend your registration and driver license. See the information about insurance.

Remove frames and fasteners before you surrender a vehicle plate or vehicle plates. The DMV office will not accept a vehicle plate with a frame or any fasteners attached.

Motorcycles. You are not required to surrender the vehicle plate if there is a lapse in the liability insurance on your motorcycle. A motorcycle must have liability insurance to be operated.

Trailers. Normally a trailer does not need liability insurance. The DMV will not suspend your driver license or registration if you fail to surrender the vehicle plate. The DMV recommends that you surrender any type of vehicle plate when the plate is not used to make sure that the plate is destroyed.

It is your responsibility to surrender your vehicle plates and remove the registration and inspection stickers from your windshield. Destroy the stickers. Do not give your vehicle plates to another person unless that person will surrender the plates for you at a DMV office. Unless you immediately transfer the registration to another vehicle, surrender your vehicle plates to the NYSDMV.

Above references from nysdmv.com

From DMV website

"A vintage vehicle is a historical vehicle and receives a historical registration. The registrant of a vintage vehicle can put vintage plates on the vehicle. Vintage plates are authentic NYS vehicle plates that were issued during the model year of the vehicle. More information about vintage plates appears below."

"

What are vintage plates?

Vintage plates are the authentic vehicle plates that were issued in NYS during the model year of the vehicle. You can put vintage plates on a historical vehicle instead of historical plates. For example, you can use a set of authentic vehicle plates that the DMV issued in 1963 on a vehicle of model year 1963. You must provide a full set of original vintage plates. The DMV cannot issue a registration for vehicle plates that are copies or that are painted again. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1972 and earlier must display the embossed year or have the original metal tab for that year. Make sure that the tab is attached and legible. A sticker that indicates the model year is not required to use the vintage plates. Vintage plates issued in the model year of 1973 and later do not have metal tabs or plate stickers.

How do I get vintage plates?

You can buy vintage plates from a local source like an automobile collector, an antique dealer, or a flea market. Make sure that the vintage plates are authentic. Newer copies are not acceptable for a vintage registration. Before you purchase a vintage plate, contact the Custom Plates Unit at 518-402-4839 to verify that the number on the plate is available for your vintage plate registration."

I have a set of Blue and Yellow NY plates on my 1972 Hurst Olds. I bought the plates when the car hit 25 years old and I was able to register as vintage.