Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LFD171

Tarrytown new Apparatus

16 posts in this topic

From today's JN legal notices;

Tarrytown has approved $675,750 for the purchase of new fire apparatus. Guessing this is for an engine and something else but if anyone from T-Town can advise it would be appreciated.

I now a couple of years ago they were looking to replace their E-One rear mount.

According to LFD171's website it looks like this is for E80, Riverside Hose Co. Both E80 and L37 are listed as 1988 E-One's.

That amount of money, it could go either way. A fully equipped engine, with some left over (maybe a Chief's truck, or some gear, or something with the difference?), or a basic no-frills ladder truck.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

That amount of money, it could go either way. A fully equipped engine, with some left over (maybe a Chief's truck, or some gear, or something with the difference?), or a basic no-frills ladder truck.

Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

Not to start a controversy, but this is Westchester, where every Company has to have everything every other Company has, AND it has to be better than everybody else. It most probably is the Engine for that price.

If it is, that sounds way too expensive. I can see a basic rear mount for that price, but not an engine with all the bells.

Port Jervis' Seagrave engine clocked in at just a hair over $600K, if I recall correctly. That price included all equipment, etc. And, that was four years ago.

Edited by AndyC3J

I believe this listing is to replace Engine 80, their specs have been approved by the village. Truck 37 should be put out to bid soon, I believe they are still looking at manufacturers though.

it dosent make a difference --what ever the fire department in tarrytown wants it gets --no questions asked-- 675K for an eng 800k for a ladder tarrytown fd wants they get. They truly belive that apparatus should be replaced every 20 years no matter what. maybe all that money the village is getting from tha yankee parking will off set the cost of the apparatus!!

The village had an outside party go through the specs for Engine 80's new engine with a fine tooth comb to ensure that everything that was asked for was appropriate and that there were no frivolous items on the truck.

Edited by gpdexplorer

So called "experts" will write a report to say whatever you pay them to say. This is not unique to the situation at hand. "Experts" get paid to testify in court, make appearances on the television "news" shows, and wherever else you need support for your cause.

If the "expert" were to truly write an objective report, they might even suggest a "program apparatus" from one of the apparatus manufacturer's. In the July 2009 issue of Firehouse Magazine there is an advertisement for a "program apparatus (custom 6 person cab, 1250GPM, 1000 gallon tank) for $230,000. Imagine getting two Engines for the cost of one. That is what a "program apparatus" could do.

No wonder we pay near the top in taxes in this area. As FireCapt stated, whatever the FD wants, it gets. This is not unique just to this FD, it goes on throughout the area. Just look at all the "Bells & Whistles" on any new apparatus that is delivered around here, and state that the "Bells & Whistles" ARE neccessary, and they were looked at with "a fine tooth comb". <_<

Yonkers is awaiting a Smeal/Spartan pumper no frills - 1500 gpm $440K - add a little gold leaf, some chrome - a few bells & whistles and perhaps some equipment you can easily go over 600K for a pumper

Edited by billfitz

fdny's last round went for about 550k I believe, a significant portion of which is the extended all inclusive warranty FDNY requires.

Today's JN showing that Tarrytown now accepting bids for 2000gpm custom pumper through 10/15/09.

With the deals to be had on "program" apparatus nowdays, and quality manufacturers like Pierce and Crimson having some great program engines in the $300,000 range, I think spend over $675,000 on an engine in this day and age and with all the factors in Tarrytown, is ridiculous. Especially after building two new firehouses, a new village hall and police station, and plans to replace a ladder truck. In fact, Tarrytown could theoratically get two engines with that kind of funding, or even an Engine and a Rescue truck. On the other side, volunteer rigs have a longer lifespan-so the cost is spread out over those twenty years, and the apparatus is better maintained.

Departments want a rig they can take pride in, especially a volunteer department, and I can understand that. But, with the economy being the way it is, program trucks should seriously be considered an option, as they are becoming wildly popular in the industry and can be customized extensively still.

A fire engines main purpose is to supply water to supress a fire. Even if the money is there, we should be looking for ways to conserve funds in any manner we can, as we don't know what turns the economy's going to take. I hope every dollar spent on this apparatus is appropriated for fire suppression and rescue, and the lowest qualified bidder is truly considered. And fire suppresion first, asthetics second.

My company built a 1500 gpm rescue pumper for $350,000 compared to some other manufacturers who were in the 450,000 to 600,000 going off our specs.