Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdcapt115

Firefighting '80s style

82 posts in this topic

Great Great shots! I remember the explosion in Hunts Point at Con Ed like it was yesterday... I hope fdnysbravest site keeps getting updated.

Photo courtesy of www.fdnysbravest.com Michael Dick

Somewhere out there was a DVD of that huge Con Ed explosion. Anybody know who it was that offerred it for sale. It was one in a series of FDNY DVDs that are sold.

Somewhere out there was a DVD of that huge Con Ed explosion. Anybody know who it was that offerred it for sale. It was one in a series of FDNY DVDs that are sold.

I know one guy who had that video was TMS Thomas M Savage and also beleave the brother of Capt Brian Hickey (R-4) both are passed on. I will look in my video box. That was the one in the south Bronx in went to 10 alarms.

Chris

I know one guy who had that video was TMS Thomas M Savage and also beleave the brother of Capt Brian Hickey (R-4) both are passed on. I will look in my video box. That was the one in the south Bronx in went to 10 alarms.

Chris

29 Truck filmed a video from the jumpseat of a rear open cab tower, that became widely circulated. I know this because my Uncle Robert was 29's Chauffer that day. The brother was filming over the roof of the rig as they responded in, with quite a commentary. You could easily call their quarters and inquire if any of the members there has any knowledge of where a copy might be.

Battalion 14 quarters: 718-430-0214. 'Splain what you looking for, the Batt. will probably give you a direct number to 83/29.

Edited by efdcapt115

I believe in addition to Tom Savage, Steve Spak has it on vid too:

http://stevespak.com/

http://stevespak.com/fires/bronx/2000_gas.html

http://stevespak.com/videosales.html

Thanks very much guys for your help. I think the one I was referring to is the one put out by Steve Spak. I remember it was advertised but I just never got around to get it. But I will check it out and I think that"s the one, r1smokeeater. Also, I wasn"t aware of Eng 83 and Ladder 29 having their own video of it. I expect to be in the Bronx next week and maybe I"ll stop by 83s to ask about it. ( I hope they don"t think I"m just another one of those 138th St drunks looking for a place to flop. Maybe I"ll even shave and dress up a little). I also am aware of TMS Videos as mentioned earlier, but I do think its Steve Spak video. I appreciate it.

Thanks very much guys for your help. I think the one I was referring to is the one put out by Steve Spak. I remember it was advertised but I just never got around to get it. But I will check it out and I think that"s the one, r1smokeeater. Also, I wasn"t aware of Eng 83 and Ladder 29 having their own video of it. I expect to be in the Bronx next week and maybe I"ll stop by 83s to ask about it. ( I hope they don"t think I"m just another one of those 138th St drunks looking for a place to flop. Maybe I"ll even shave and dress up a little). I also am aware of TMS Videos as mentioned earlier, but I do think its Steve Spak video. I appreciate it.

I will reach out to Steve this week and see if he still has copies around.

Chris

83 & 29 "Da Bums on Da Hill" (another Company logo banned by FDNY)

Good luck in your travels.

Mike Dick updated 8/31 : http://fdnysbravest.com/

The photos just keep getting better.

How about that two building cockloft getting ready to burst into a wide open burn.

Gotta love the Company dogs; responding of course......

How 'bout this brother Danny Gainey, Ladder Company 31. You think that guy had a few stories to tell?

Tommy McTigue (ret) Rescue 3; the guy is a living legend. He's the drummer in the FDNY Pipes & Drums with the HUGE white handlebar mostache; I think he only does the band part time now.

But what a nice man. I made friends with him at a parade YEARS ago (in Dobbs Ferry, FDNY band played, I was with the color guard for the Westchester band who also played) and he just treated me and everybody with a lot of respect; and he already had a reputation as being a great fireman. Through the years, and particularly at all the post 9-11 funerals I'd see Tommy and just go say hello; I'm quite sure he knew a hundred "me"s. But always greeted me with a fraternal smile and a genuine greeting and handshake. I respect stuff like that.

That's the thing about guys from this generation (the guys Mike Dick photographed); firemen with great reputations, and enough medals on their Class A's to fill a small wall, but you'd never know it to talk to them. Humility is a religion to these men.

~R1ES: thanks for the updater K

The old MSA masks I started with you could put the face piece hose inside your turnout coat. AAhhhhh the days of pull up boots, fireball gloves and wheat lights!!!!!

1980snorkelandladder.jpg

1980t2roofwork.jpg

1980truck2ladderwork5.jpg

e2-working.jpg

snorkelaction1.jpg

chief.jpg

Edited by spin_the_wheel

Thanks for posting those. I really liked those pics. Like Tom Wanstall, this photographer had a knack for capturing firefighters facial expressions in the midst of the action, which really seems to tell a story and make the pictures artistic. You don't see that in many fire photographers today. I frankly am not all that interested in pics of big shiny red trucks or scary orange flames and black smoke. To me, it's the human element that is the beauty of our profession and this photog captures that beautifully.

I agree 100%...... I can tell you it's tough to get that kind of shot..... You need to be right in the action....... How about I come down and ride with you guys down there..... Then maybe I too can get shots other than big shiny red trucks or scary orange flames and black smoke...... I'm up for the challenge ;) What do ya say???????

I agree 100%...... I can tell you it's tough to get that kind of shot..... You need to be right in the action....... How about I come down and ride with you guys down there..... Then maybe I too can get shots other than big shiny red trucks or scary orange flames and black smoke...... I'm up for the challenge ;) What do ya say???????

Ohhhhhh.........make it happen YFD...make it happen!

When I joined in 1985 we had 3/4 length coats, pull up boats (never pulled them up, it was cool to always leave them folded), dual 3 inch lines to the hydrant, HUMAT valves (no one could figure the thing out), John Bean high pressure booster hose as an attack line, officers when sling packs, Scott IIa's with a pressure/demand switch, riding the back step and freezing my %^$ off, low band radios with skip interference from California,, and I don't even thing I'm that old.

Great update, its amazing the stuff we used to get away with, even more amazing the amount of guys that had air sets on their backs but not started up in choking smoke.....you wonder what has changed so much from blue jeans and coats to now with all the bunker gear we have to wear!

Darren

Now THAT'S how you fight fire....biggrin.gif

Progress is great but sometimes I sure do long for the "good ole days" of backstepping, 3/4 coats, pull up boots, optional SCBA use and tingling ears.

Cogs

Excellent pictures. My how things have changed. If I'm not mistaken the Elmont Snorkle became EFFD Snorkle prior to them buying a new aerial.

This is an awesome collection of photos. Thanks for sharing them and keep them coming please!

Mike Dick updated his site again- Thanx for info, Mike !

http://fdnysbravest.com/page6.htm

Mike Dick did a great job ... Terrific photos ... Lot's of great memories of Bronx firefighting in the 80's. I wish we could do it over again ... My mind is willing but my body isn't ...

"Yes sir we are. When you said the steel tanks, it just brought me back to when I joined thr fire service in my Volly Department in Dutchess, we had 2A's with steel tanks. We then upgraded to 2.2 masks in the mid 90's. We now use 4.5's pak

For some of the younger members' edification, the Scott air pack has indeed come a long way. The 4.5 was a big improvement for the fire service. NASA got involved in creating the design. It removed the regulator (that used to be mounted on your chest with a low pressure hose connecting to the face piece on the model Don is talking about) and placed it on the newly designed facepiece. The facepiece afforded much more visability than the previous models, and this helped make it feel less claustrophobic."

This is the Scott the good EFD Capt was talking about. I used to wear that tank? No wonder my back hurts. Note the steel back plate...bulletproof. Also note that it was kept in that suitcase looking box on the ground. I do believe that is a rubber turnout coat judging by the crimp at the waist. Take away the old guys and the old equipment and look real hard...the fire's the same as 2010. Believe it or not, those guys put it out.

post-1066-126568710297.jpg

Edited by wraftery
efdcapt115 likes this

"Yes sir we are. When you said the steel tanks, it just brought me back to when I joined thr fire service in my Volly Department in Dutchess, we had 2A's with steel tanks. We then upgraded to 2.2 masks in the mid 90's. We now use 4.5's pak

For some of the younger members' edification, the Scott air pack has indeed come a long way. The 4.5 was a big improvement for the fire service. NASA got involved in creating the design. It removed the regulator (that used to be mounted on your chest with a low pressure hose connecting to the face piece on the model Don is talking about) and placed it on the newly designed facepiece. The facepiece afforded much more visability than the previous models, and this helped make it feel less claustrophobic."

This is the Scott the good EFD Capt was talking about. I used to wear that tank? No wonder my back hurts. Note the steel back plate...bulletproof. Also note that it was kept in that suitcase looking box on the ground. I do believe that is a rubber turnout coat judging by the crimp at the waist. Take away the old guys and the old equipment and look real hard...the fire's the same as 2010. Believe it or not, those guys put it out.

How about the old MSA Chemox, I used it in the service "USAF"

Edited by mikeindabronx

How about the old MSA Chemox, I used it in the service "USAF"

We used them in the Navy too. I'll have to dig out my Bluejacket's Manual for details. I do remember something about bend forwaard and spread yiur legs before you drop out the hot csnister.

Dang, Mike, you're old!

We called it an OBA Oxygen Breathing Apparatus. It was worn on the chest with two bladders on either side. I also remember having to move a certain way for the hot canister, and then punching holes in it and dropping it in a bucket before dumping it overboard.

We used them in the Navy too. I'll have to dig out my Bluejacket's Manual for details. I do remember something about bend forwaard and spread yiur legs before you drop out the hot csnister.

Dang, Mike, you're old!

Yes I am and wiser.I seem to remember that in very cold weather they were hard to start.

http://fdnysbravest.com/

IN VERY COLD WEATHER I'M HARD TO START!