Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nfd2004

Our Role Models

27 posts in this topic

I'd like to share with you a little story about a "Role Model" that I had most of my life. I nicknamed him "Smokey", or "Smoke" for short. He was my father and he really didn"t mind that I called him "Smoke". The reason I called him that was because he smoked a lot of cigars, and was a firefighter in Bridgeport, Ct. The name just kind of fit him. I went to Catholic Grammer School and the Nuns always wanted the boys to become a priest, a doctor or a lawyer. I wasn"t doing very good in school, and myelf, and my father met with the Nun, while my mother stayed home with my brothers and sister. The Nun asked me what I wanted to do when I grow up and I said : "Be A FIREMAN". It really wasn"t what she wanted to hear and I think my father was actually a little embarassed over my response. I was probadly about 9 or 10 years old and in those days firemen worked long hours for low pay. I think at the time it was Seven Days, Two Off, then Seven Nights with Two off.

I remember my father and his friend, who was also on the job, studying for promotion exams at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and "Smoke" would have his cigar. I would be sitting nearby to listen as they asked each other questions and then, every once in awhile they"d talk about a "Big Job" they had. I sure used to like listening.

Later both got promoted to Lt. One day while walking home from school there was a Big Job in a six family house. As I watched the fire, I heard over the fire Radio the chief saying; "Send me Truck 5". That was the rig Smoke was on as Lt and working that day. I told everybody in the crowd, "they just called for Truck 5 and my fathers coming". I don"t think they really cared, but I sure did ! As the open cab American La France Tiller pulled up, my father waved and then they put the ladder to the roof. I watched the entire fire until just about everybody was gone. Then I ran home to tell my mother that I saw "Smoke" at a fire.

Later while he was still a Lt on Truck 5, a job came in on Fulton St. It was reported as a Vacant House Fire. Smoke went around the back to the second floor. He had a light with him and for some reason an axe too. Apparently, he had to force his way in. (they didn"t have what we know as a forcible entry team then). Through the smoke and fire, he found a guy, unconsious in the bathtub and dragged him out. At that time, the only truck to carry oxygen was their Rescue, called Squad 5, and they couldn"t get the door open that had the oxygen in it. It was just too close to a parked car. So Smoke began mouth to mouth resusciation on this guy. The guy took a deep breathe and started breathing again. Later I remember Smoke telling me that the guy was wearing a brown coat and the hospital had to give this guy a permenet stoma. (I think that's the term). Smoke recieved the "Highest Medal" in the Bridgeport Fire Dept for his actions that night. In his 30 plus years, only about 10 or 12 othes ever recieved this Medal called "the Gold Star".

About a year later I was waiting for a bus to go home. A homeless guy came up to me and asked if I could spare any change for a coffee. I won't give him any money but I bought him a coffee at the diner across the street. I had one too. I was now about 16 years old. While drinking the coffees, the fire engines went by. Then the Homeless guy said to me, "those guys saved my life". I said "What do you mean"? He then told me he was rescued from a fire on Fulton St and told me his story. Then I looked and the guy was wearing a Brown Coat as Smoke had described, and then I also noticed the stoma in his neck. I asked him if his name was Ed Martin and he said "Yes". I was so "Proud" to meet this guy and I couldn"t wait to tell Smoke.

Smoke retired as a Captain in 1978, about the same time my brother went on the job. Prior to going on the Fire Dept, Smoke was a "Combat Medic" in WWII. Sadly Smoke passed away in March, 2007.

If you have a Role Model or had a Role Model in your life, maybe you can share your story with us.

helicopper likes this

Maybe Hero Role Model is a better name ,Great story,I only wish that the younger members get it !

That is amazing. You should tell that story every chance you get. There aren't enough folks looking up to their parents these days. At 60+ when you're kids are hopefully looking up to you.... You're still looking up (maybe literally) at your late father.

Bravo!

I look up to my late grandfather still, as well as my father. Their lessons in and out of the fire services have been priceless!

Thanks to all for your nice comments. I greatly appreciate that. Yes, my father, Smoke was a Role Model to me. But there's alot more Role Models out there. I hope we can hear about "Them" too.

NFD....very touching story. Sounds like your father was a stand up guy.

I'm posting to bring this thread back up to the top; where IMHO it belongs. nfd2004, you have shared so much with this board; the thread of old photos (with the big time help of R1E) but this story is one of true Americana, and the American fire service; what it has meant to so many generations of young men since they were boys. The HUMANITY that our fire service has brought to our great country.

This story in particular, honestly could be a wonderful article in a fire related publication.

IMHO we who are retired, never stop having things to offer to the brothers. With the time and reflection of retirement, comes the unbelieveable feeling of gratitude to such a marvelous way to have spent a career; even thinking back to those tours where it was cold and lonely and you stared out the apparatus door windows just thinking.....

You have much to share, I follow you on nycfirenet as well.

God bless you brother, keep on doin'......

Edited by efdcapt115
helicopper likes this

PS: Can I nominate nfd2004's story about his pop for "Post of the Week"? :)

I truely Thank Everybody for those kind words. Yes, "Smoke" was my Hero. Like Many, he grew up during "The Great Depression", Fought WWII, then came back to build America to become the Greatest Country in the World. I told the story of a guy I looked up to, who just happened to be My Father and a Fireman. He was just doing his job and trying to support a wife and four kids. He is just one of many who have similar stories to tell, but nobody to tell them.

Yes "efdcapt115" you are exactly right. Being retired gives us time to remember how lucky we really are. We had the Greatest Job in the World. But the years went by just so fast. As you mentioned about NYCFIRE.NEt, I got to see the busiest time in the history of the FDNY. The busiest Fire Dept in the World. That was certainly an experience. I look back now and wish that I could do it all over again. but now thanks to web sites like this, we are able to share our stories.

Thanks Guys, I greatly appreciate all of your kind words.

PS: Can I nominate nfd2004's story about his pop for "Post of the Week"? :)

I second that brother

Remember

Guys like that put fires out with pull up boots, rubber coats, axes for venting, no SCBA, and were yanking 2 1/2 inch hose that weighed 65lbs per 50 foot length.

And we think the FF Challenge is tough?

They are my heros, too

Thanks for reminding me, nfd2004

Very touching story, I to looked up to my father and grandfather who had both done this before me and I only hope to be half the firefighter that they and your dad were. Hopefully I can be someones role model before I retire (which is quickly approaching), and you are right time sure does fly. Thanks for the story and I will pass this around the station if you don't mind.

Defimitely a truly touching story! And your dad was everything you could see in a role model. Yes you should tell that story every chance you get! May Smoke rest in Peace. You have so much to be proud of

There was a photo of my Grandpa putting out a fire in his own building many, many years ago, that always inspired me. He was in regular clothes helping push a line in from a fire escape. I remember thinking "I want to be like that!" He was active, still coming to meetings, Monday night rig checks and calls, up until he got cancer and passed away in October of 1996.

My other memory that inspired me is one of my Dad. I don't remember the specifics, but there was a house fire, and he responded as a Chief. He and a Croton PD Officer grabbed a ladder, my father went up and rescued a handicapped man from his burning house. I was too young to be there, but I remember people telling me that the man was "dead weight" weighing like 250 pounds. They also told me the ladder was bent after they made it out safely. Hearing this story pretty much locked me into wanting to be a firefighter in Croton, just like my Dad, Grandpa and Great-grandfather (whom I never got to meet).

I have so many other role models between cousins, Uncles and friends in not only my department, but all over the place. The best role models, in my opinion, are those that don't even have to tell you their stories, because their actions speak so much louder. I envy those that have been around 20, 30, 40, 50 and more years that still get up at night and answer calls. They're the ones I envy and respect the most, simply because they do it for no other reason then answering their duty. I hope that one day, perhaps, I can be a role model to not only my own kids, but all of my little cousins, neices and nephews.

NFD - AWESOME STORY! Thanks for sharing it!!!

My role model of course was my dad, the day I was born he was fire Chief and according to stories relayed by my mom when I was delivered the Dr said well you have another fire Chief. Then when I was 5 dad Was Chief again and then at age 17 he was an asst chief filling in a year for My Uncle Jake who had to resign. I can remember many times Dad would take us for a ride and show us where they had a fire the day before. I grew up around the firehouse and was blessed to meet many many wonderful people growing up. I remember many stories about my dad's courage and remember him burning both hands twice. Dad taught me the things you need to know in life and the fire service doing the right thing, respectiing others and giving something back to your community. I also had my brother to learn from, 3 uncles and several cousins teaching me and most importantly encouraging me. I remember running to the corner when there was a call on the south side of town to watch 119 go by just to see my dad standing in the jumpseat with his hat on backwards so it wouldn't blow off. I could go on & on about my role model and hero forever, but I will relay one more short quip about being Captain. We had a structure fire on North Riverside Ave and I went over to our rig for something and got yelled at by my sister for letting Dad on the roof of exposure D, I went over and asked him to come down, took him back to the rig and asked him to stay there, as soon as I turned my back he was at it agin, after the call I said "dad, I am the Captain and if you won't listen to me no one else will, he said ok but only if someone else is around will I make believe I am listening." As my son (remember 585) said in his post dad was active until he got cancer and could no longer come to meeting & calls. My Dad and uncles have all moved on the Heavens FD so It is now my job to stay around as long as I can to relay what I have learned over the years, they are all still my role models/heroes and now I have a new one rightnow we call him Car 2083.

I've been a medic 6yrs and in ems 17 yrs. Been a member of UVFD/RS, EFFD ST1 and Hughsonville respectfully, prior to moving to SC. There have been alot of great people I've come in contact with and worked with. And the person that I feel is my hero/mentor is Thomas Martel. (And everyone might know him as froggy). He's a medic with LFD. He is the best damn medic I've ever had to work with or for (67-7 Sloper) @ once apon a time. He never lost his cool always new what was needing to be done and when. Never sweat or anything. I hope in my yrs to come that I could be half the medic that he is. THANK YOU TOMMY. THANK YOU.

Actually, my role model handed me a qtip and told me, "don't take this personal but you're not a good enough basketball player to make the NBA, you can't sing or play an instrument so forget about the rock star thing, you're a little too wild to make it in the corporate world, so you better take the Fire Department test, and if you don't do well on that you'll just have to be a cop..."

I read a book.

Report from Engine Company 82.

It's 1973.

I MUST do this work!

!974: My family moves into a tumbled down home in Southern Connecticut--I am 13 years old.

Living next door is a man--Dan B.--who was born in the house next door. A multigenerational part of this very old community.

Dan had red car with blue lights and, in our neighborhood when the horns went off and cars sped off, Dan B. was racing out of his driveway as well.

Dan, a plank holder to colonial days in our town, had wanted to be "nothing more" than a firefighter. He was a volunteer back in the day when the department was 90% volunteer.

His Dad, a lawyer--and a man of reputation in our town--forced Dan B. to go to law school down South. "Firefighting is a Bum's work," his father said.

Dan B. did as ordered. He became a lawyer.

And an alcoholic.

When Dan B. took me under his wing he was well along.

He still wore a tall, crowned metal helmet and a long coat--the rest of the department had gone to fiberglass headgear and shorter coats.

But, the men on the "job" still "put up with" Dan B.

As a young kid, when my scanner went off, I was out the door and riding along with Dan to fire after fire. Summer vacations, all hours of the night--tailgating the other guys from the block--and the town's apparatus to fire after fire.

Sometimes I'd wait--not often--at the end of our communal driveways and the red car would stay cold and dark. Dan was too drunk to go.

But it wasn't too often.

I shudder to think what folks would think now, but that was a long time ago, and things were very, very different.

Because of him I:

Rode for the first time on an engine at thirteen years old (1949 American La France 750 gpm to a gas leak)

Got into exploring.

Got into Internship through my High School and spent 3 days per week and fours hours per day at HQ learning the trade: 9th-12th grade.

Got into EMS.

Got my EMT at 17.

Became an NYC*EMS Paramedic.

Fought Fire on the West Coast.

Got a degree.

Left the Emergency Services.

Created a great life.

Serve my community and our country to this day.

Because of this fireman's acceptance of a little kid in big boots and an ill-fitting hat (which he GAVE me), I learned the most important lesson of all:

Follow your dreams. They are true.

Dan B. did not do that and died many years later an alcoholic man with simple dreams that were left utterly unfulfilled. His life was a train wreck because he didn't listen to his own inner voice.

He was kind enough to give me what he had. He didn't treat me like a "kid." He gave me a subscription to¨Fire Engineering Magazine" each year at Christmas.

Dead now.

Bad and lonely death.

My mentor--not the one mentioned on job applications--is this man of lost dreams who gave me mine.

Follow your passions.

Thats very cool, Noone in my family was a FF so i look up and listen to old stories from my station and any FFs out there but there is 1 guy in my station i love to listen to his old stories, 80+ years old and still driving and going strong

Actually, my role model handed me a qtip and told me, "don't take this personal but you're not a good enough basketball player to make the NBA, you can't sing or play an instrument so forget about the rock star thing, you're a little too wild to make it in the corporate world, so you better take the Fire Department test, and if you don't do well on that you'll just have to be a cop..."

Aren't you glad you got on the Fire Dept instead. No offense to my P.D. friends, or those "high Income" NBA members, Music stars, or Wall St Executives. For me it was become President or a Fireman. Glad I became a Fireman. Besides "The Firehouse" has better cooks than "The White House".

Great story NFD and thanks for posting it. Like many my first and probably greatest role model was my father who although not a fireman was a straight shooting, hardworking, stand up guy. I am forever thankful to have had him as my "Pop".

As far as my other role models go, most if not all are the firemen I was priviledged enough to have come up under. The ones who freely gave of their time, effort, knowledge and experience to help me grow into a decent fireman. So to Gary R (RIP), Ed C, Joe C, John D, Ed I and maybe most of all Rex M., thanks for everything...If I can be half the fireman these guys are (or were) I will have accomplished something worthwile in this service.

Cogs

What's truly sad is this type of "Tradition" in the Fire Service has been replaced with a "Quota System" and that's why boys and girls you don't see the caliber of people anymore coming on the Job like Smoke. Great story Brother! ;)

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SMOKE", from Red, Taylor, Bucky, and Mary Ann, and all the grand kids. You represent what "The Greatest Generation" was all about. From growing up during the Great Depression, to your World War II days as a Combat Medic, To your days on the job in the Bridgeport, Ct Fire Dept. And that night you saved the life of a homeless civilian by the name of Eddie Martin. He was trapped in a vacant house fire on Fulton St. You broke down the door and found him lying in the bathtub. And it was "your" own breathe of life that saved him from dying that night. And Thanks for all you've done for us, and the GREAT Job you did as a father of four. We sure do miss you. Someday, we'll all be together again.

My role model was my grandfather. He was not a Firefighter, he owned and operated Don Robison's Sawmill in Pleasant Valley N.Y. for over 30 years. I am named after my grandfather ,and I named my son after him also. My grandfather never really raised his voice and always spoke to my cousin and I calmly. But when he did you know he meant business.

I always remember him working from very early in the morning until the sun went down at night. During my high school years, I went to summer school one year. My grandmother would take me to summer school in the morning...and then in the afternoon I went to cut wood with grandpa. He told me in a stern voice "now Donald we are not paying you to work with me this summer...this is because you did not do well in school during the year". So I cut wood with him all summer and had a lot of really good bonding time.

When I went to buy my first car my father had some money my grandfather had given him for me. I asked where did this come from? He said remember last summer when you were working in the woods and at the sawmill...that's where it came from. There are many many more stories like this that I could tell.

Back in the summer of 2006 my Grandfather passed at 92 years old and had been sick. My son was born after he died. When my wife got pregnant with my son we told my grandfather we were going to name him after him to carry on the family name.

He lead by example and instilled family values and worked very hard all his life to provide for his children and grandchildren. This ones for you Boppy!

LOVE YOUR GRANDSON DONALD.

Edited by x134

So many good stories about role models.. Well here's one more

My role model is my gradfather Thomas Gregory Conklin ex state fire instructor, ex commissioner, ex iron worker and even a small busniess owner. As a young kid (even tho I'm still young) the 6 hour ride from NY to PA was great. Going to see my grandfather who moved to PA after my grandmother lost her battle to breast cancer. I Remember him telling me the best time he ever had in the fire service was training all of the new guys in Montour falls. His one piece of advise to me was join the fire house. as a child. Thought it was the greatest thing. Wasn't until he passed 8 years ago that I realized how many lives and friends he had touched and made. Seeing fire departments come from as far as montecllo see him laid to his final resting place next to my grandmother in the cementery. Really made me see what he ment. He also stated weather we are paid volunteer or as he out fire chasers, we still have one purpose help our commiunity. As I write this I have his old New Yorker with his State instructor sheild on it. love u pop...and miss u