Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afd65

Testing hose

14 posts in this topic

Hello all. trying to find out about some of the companies that do the hose testing in this area. And how some of the Departments do there own hose testing. For an example what do you use to test the hose as in your own engine and pressure pump? what do you use for documentaion on the hose. If anyone uses a company what do they think about that company and would you recommend them to other departments? thanks for any help on this matter

I've heard of more and more departments going with hose testing companies. These companies professionally test your hose and give you professional records to reference. They have the tools, manpower, and experience to properly and effficiently test hose, and provide you with the needed documentation afterward. IMHO, I think this works better from a logistical and legal standpoint.

Many hose test companies will now also offer ground ladder testing at the same time.

It also saves your manpower for more important things, such as training (but I guess packing hose is training and a typical firehouse chore)

Failsafe Hose Testing. Been usining them for 6 years!!!

We just had pump testing, hose testing, and ground ladder testing done this summer, by 3 different companies. All are experts in their field. Hose testing is just a PITA to do inhouse, No one in our fire house likes to dump, test, and repack over 8000 feet of LDH and who knows how many feet of 1 3/4 and 2 1/2. The company we used tested, marked, and repacked all the hose, gave us complete reports and it was all done in one day. Ladder testing, the same thing.. It was scary to watch the weights being lowered onto the ladders, seeing them bow, and then returning straight. The company found several bad rivets on our ground ladders, fixed them, and documented EVERYTHING.

If something goes wrong and someone gets injured/dies from blown hose or bad ladders, bet your bottom dollar that some lawyer is going to want to see documentation of who did the testing, how they were trained, etc, etc, etc...

Yes it costs a few bucks to let the experts do it rather than doing it inhouse, but the $ saved by doing it inhouse will be small peanuts compared to some lawsuit payout due to "untrained/inexperienced" members doing it.

Edited by 38ff

Fail Safe (we use), and waterway for hose testing.

We do our own, we do it little each month till its done, Yea its a pain in rear but it also can give u training

I been told the dept is looking into someone coming in and doing it for us

thanks for all the info so far i was wondering what companies some dept actually use to test there hose

I'm sorry, but I really don't see the reason for a dept's hose to be tested by a third party. Vollie or career, you should have the manpower and means to test your own hose. Even if it is a few hundred feet at a time.

My department has used FailSafe as well. Can't beat them for the price and I'm sure the assurance that a professional has done the testing is worth it too. They also do a great job of re-racking the hose.

You fellas have given me a GREAT IDEA for a new business!

This is Billy Mayes for:

Welcome to "JOB DONE."

Tired of picking through those dirty and twisted hose lines after a working fire?

Tired of having to disconnect every length, drain it out and re-pack it properly?

Not to worry!

For a small fee $$$$$$ "JOB DONE" will come to YOUR WORK-SITE.

WE will take care of untangling and cleaning up that dirty hose for you.

Come on; you just busted your @ss putting out a hot fire, and saved a few live in the process.

There's no need for you to have to put up with those tedious details of "after-fire" work anymore.

At Job Done, our number one priority is YOUR satisfaction.

We are so confident in our service that we offer free donuts to all firemen who are waiting around for us to repack your hose bed.

And if you act now, buy four hose repacks and get the fifth one free!

B) Sorry of course I'm just kidding; but I had to put this one up in honor of all the passed-on old-timers rolling in their graves when they hear firemen talk about someone else doing firemens' work.

But first for firefighter safety of course, and secondly, I'd agree with 38ff and the whole liability issue as the reasons why you really need your hose pro-tested.

Edited by efdcapt115

The last couple of years Stamford has used a private company, but I am unsure which one. I know they get all the hose off, test it, log the numbers on the coupling, and pack it neater and way faster than we ever could. Our new hose wagon has about 4700 feet of 5 inch, and they tested, rolled and packed all of it in less than a day.

We used

Reliant Fire Hose Testing

67 Lake Rd

Salisbury Mills, NY 12577

Phone: (845) 784-6391

and we are a satisfied customer.

thanks for all the information this should help my department out greatly