Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Slide In Medic Unit

17 posts in this topic

I see no benefit

I could see if this was not a transport vehicle, and used just as a flycar, it would give much more storage space for equipment then a pickup with a cap or a suburban style... and maybe used as a secondary command post to keep dry, but could they really think putting a patient in the back of this as a good idea???

Edited by EFFP411

I highly doubt that is a patient transport vehicle, I see no AC or heating unit etc. That looks more like a specialty vehicle and its uses are limited only by imagination. Would be an excellent vehicle if you can get it with AC and heat for event standbys for first aid applications, public vaccinations, etc.

I can see this unit being used for limit time events. Such as the old Danbury Fair, golf courses that have annual major tournaments etc. It would be used for on site treatment and movement of patients to the on site medical facility and not for transport to the hospital. When the event is over the pod can be stored until the next event and the pickup truck can be used for day to day operations. I can also see it being used at beaches and amusement parks. Again used for on site and limited time.

I highly doubt that is a patient transport vehicle, I see no AC or heating unit etc. That looks more like a specialty vehicle and its uses are limited only by imagination. Would be an excellent vehicle if you can get it with AC and heat for event standbys for first aid applications, public vaccinations, etc.

Idk, i looked at some of the pictures of completed models and one of the inside shots had horns for a stretcher...

Based on what I've heard on other forums, these units are popular in limited access situations such as mines, etc., where a normal ambulance couldn't necessarily reach. Presumably the slide in would transport the patient from the incident site to a waiting standard ambulance.

I haven't looked into it, but what is the cost factor? Would it be a "practical" alternative for a department strapped for funding???

dmc2007 hit the nail on the head. The targeted audience I believe would industrial settings where conventional ambulances aren't sutiable to conditions. Numerous Industrial EMS companies use them in remote parts of Canada wether it be mining, forestry operations but most commonly Oil production site builds. These fiberglass housings are very light weight allowing the truck it's placed in to still have capabilities of a truck I.E. 4x4 at modest cost.

Here are a few more pictures by way of a link of a unit manufactured in Canada by Demers Ambulances:

http://www.demers-ambulances.com/index.php...p;sectionId=107

eh idk..doesn't seem like there would be enough room..

Even bigger question: is it KKK 1822 compliant?

I don't believe such a unit would be even remotely KKK complaint and wouldn't work for day to day use as a front line unit. I think those that suggested limited use in specific situations where accessibility of a standard ambulance would be an issue is where that type of unit would be useful. I wonder if it could be used as a replacement vehicle for a flycar in a pinch or additional vehicle in high traffic times when the vehicle underneath wasn't needed for other duties. My only concern with that would be some beancounter then suggesting that it could be a frontline unit for cost savings. Overall I don't think I want one in my town!rolleyes.gif

There are links of completed vehicles and interior shots, very interesting concept, definitely not something in metro/suburban areas.

A quick search shows Coffman Cove is in SouthEast Alaska, and is classified as a Level I Isolated Village(*). Maybe this is a support vehicle in which any member with a pickup can back up, drop the module into their bed and take off to the scene. With a population of less than 1,000 how may calls a year are they seeing?

http://www.serems.org/se_communities.htm

http://www.serems.org/ems_levels_of_care.htm

There are links of completed vehicles and interior shots, very interesting concept, definitely not something in metro/suburban areas.

A quick search shows Coffman Cove is in SouthEast Alaska, and is classified as a Level I Isolated Village(*). Maybe this is a support vehicle in which any member with a pickup can back up, drop the module into their bed and take off to the scene. With a population of less than 1,000 how may calls a year are they seeing?

http://www.serems.or...communities.htm

http://www.serems.or...els_of_care.htm

Probably more than you think! I would bet that given the isolation any medical issue could become an emergency simply due to time and travel distance. I would bet that this kind of unit would work well for them tho, I just wouldn't want it in the lower 48!

I was really curious about this unit so I called the company. These units are utilized in Alaska on remote villages and islands. They are dual purposed and transport patients and prisoners from the Public Safety Building to an awaiting ship or airplane. Some of the islands have only two miles of roadway.

The unit it's self is very durable. The pickup truck will rot out from exposure from the sea air\spray before the unit will. They have sold around 10 of them to units in Alaska in the last year. The units do have heat and AC controls. It's in the specs. Some units have storage on the roof and others have the necessary accessories for prisoner transport. All in all this is a neat concept for an isolated and harsh environment.