Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Greenville Incident 9-20-09

19 posts in this topic

What burned in Greenville today? ( I know where, but what?)

Just curious - the initial response was (please correct me if I'm wrong) Greenville's two engines and one ladder.

They then received three engines and four ladders to the scene not counting district coverage. Was there something unusual about the fire/building/both that necessitated so many ladders?

Again, this is just a curiosity question.

The fire was in Island Furniture opposite the Hartsdale Post Office. The fire started in the electrical box outside possibly from a power surge and spread to the roof. GFD initially responded with E150 & L4 after hearing the reported fire over GPD's radio then was toned out by 60 Control for an auto alarm. As for the ladders on location from what I saw were L4, L28 from Scarsdale as the FAST, YFD L70 and EFD L16. All companies assisted in opening the roof and preventing fire spread to the rest of the stores.

Thanks for the info!

Is Island Furniture in the same plaza that was built on the old Newmark and Lewis site that burned down back years and years ago?

They then received three engines and four ladders to the scene not counting district coverage. Was there something unusual about the fire/building/both that necessitated so many ladders?

Lots of roof work. Also the count of engines was a little lite.

GFD - 1 eng. (2nd engine was sent later)

HFD - 1 eng

FFD - 1 eng

WPFD - 1 eng

NRFD - 1 eng

Ladders -

GFD, YFD, SFD, EFD

Covering GFD:

PFD Eng, NRFD Ladder & I think and other Eng.

Thanks for the info!

Is Island Furniture in the same plaza that was built on the old Newmark and Lewis site that burned down back years and years ago?

Yeah, it's the same spot.

The Engine from Elmsford was covering the calls in other districts. I know they did an activated alarm in Greenville before cover units got there

What happened to FDMV? They don't travel that far.

I think they only accept Mutual Aid don't offer it. Or maybe they were just not on the mutual list. I think every other paid department in the county went.

These departments mutual aid each other on a routine basis. Especially the Greenburgh area departments. Just another example for consolidation, along with yesterday's fire.

Also, no Hartsdale TL-15? All ladders were straight sticks?

It is posssible also that the engine/truck ratio was different because off water supply. The hydrants on that part of Central Av are pretty hefty. If my memory serves me right the static runs about 150psi, and flow about 2000gpm at 20psi residual.

One engine with LDH can supply a lot of wet stuff.

if you want to put a fire out, and save lives and property, you need lot's of manpower and equipment early on, as opposed to standing around putting 5000gpm out of numerous master streams for 4 hours while the building burns to the ground! Nice stop to all involved. Hopefully people questioning the large response only have to look at the amount of property saved.

Edited by demps121

Apparatus:

Greenville: 2151, E150, E151, L4, R29, SSU15

Fairview: E174

Hartsdale: E169, E170

Yonkers: L70, Battalion 2

New Rochelle: E22, L12, 2306

White Plains: E66

Eastchester: 2103, L16

Scarsdale: L28

Multiple GPD Cars, EMS 76

Battalion 18

Field Comm 1

if you want to put a fire out, and save lives and property, you need lot's of manpower and equipment early on, as opposed to standing around putting 5000gpm out of numerous master streams for 4 hours while the building burns to the ground! Nice stop to all involved. Hopefully people questioning the large response only have to look at the amount of property saved.

Don't misinterpret my question as criticism. Yes, it was a good stop. Why is it anytime someone asks a question to stimulate intelligent discussions or debates the knee jerk reaction is to get defensive and say what a great job everyone did?

The answer to my question - why so many ladder companies were operating - was answered by people with relevant information about the job. They are listed below in case anyone missed it.

1. Lots of roof work.

2. Excellent water supply obviating the need for additional engines.

3. Size of the commercial structure.

Thanks to those who answered!

Chris

A lot of the problem is the fact that all replies on a computer are left opened to interpretation by the reader. It is hard to tell the tone on ones question and often things are taken as criticism or Monday morning QBing, not saying that was yours or any ones intent but it happens.

2. a lot of people need to realize in Westchester career depts and even volunteer depts. truck vs. engine means very little at times, fires like this require man power and roof work, engines and ladders and rescues are just transportation. The bottom line is get people there. fdny trucks basically do truck work here E-170 E-174 E-66 all were involved with roof work. The trucks carry extra ladders providing additional ground ladders aerial devices and saws. But in Westchester most engines I know of carry saws especially in Hartsdale and Greenville. Riding assignments in HFD and GFD and FFD are not task specific like the FDNY we rotate between a engine and truck positions requiring members to be proficient at both skill sets, this adds versatility on the fire ground allowing a IC to use members as necessary at the time of arrival with all members able to perform truck work, engine work or FAST duties.

3. All that you said above Lots of roof work.. Excellent water supply obviating the need for additional engines. Size of the commercial structure

4. An experienced chief's discretion with many years in the roll of a fire ground IC

I'm just wondering where TL-15 was for this incident? I mean, an aerialscope is perfect for thsi tyoe of scenario, and it operated at the fire the day before. Was it OOS?

I'm just wondering where TL-15 was for this incident? I mean, an aerialscope is perfect for thsi tyoe of scenario, and it operated at the fire the day before. Was it OOS?

No it was not O.O.S.