Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Westchester Departments With Multiple Extrication Units

29 posts in this topic

Reading about my boys from Millwood putting multiple tools into work this AM, I've been thinking about the fire service in Westchester and which departments are well prepared to deal with extraneous incidents. Before I moved to Florida I used to discuss Millwood's foam and water supply capabilities on this site. Since I've left, they have gone from having a fully equipped heavy rescue (R-36) and a pumper with a combi tool (E-248) to a department with a heavy rescue (R-36), full rescue pumper (E-248), and a pumper with a combi tool and "o" cutters (E-247). Briarcliff has also taken an agressive policy toward the ability to "cut" with E92, E94, & R37. I'm curious to know who else is putting multiple tools on the street these days. I think it is valuble for IC's to know, when preplanning who will transfer to their station during a major incident, who has the most functionability. I think E-119 and E-270 are carrying tools as well. Who else has rescue pumper capability in addition to a heavy rescue?

Edited by mfc2257

Ed, Buchanan carries a full compliment (spreaders, cutters, rams) on both E161 (rescue-engine) and R26. E161 has the on-board Amkus system, while R26 has a portable Amkus system.

I know you said Westchester, but I can describe a couple of the CT Departments I know of that run multiple extrication units:

New Fairfield:

Company A Rescue 3

Squantz Engine 13

Danbury:

Truck 1

Truck 2

Engine 22

Engine 24

Engine 25

Engine 26

Squad 1 (Staffed by E23)

Vol. Rescue 10

New Haven:

Squad 1

Squad 2

I also believe all truck companies carry extrication equipment (there are 4)

Edited by SageVigiles

Mohegan

Eng's 253,255,257,258 have a full set of tools

Eng 254 combi tool

Ladder 35 combi tool

All YFD truck companies, the squad and rescue carry extrication tools in Yonkers. Also, Yonkers Police ESU fully outfits their trucks with spreaders, cutters, combo and rams.

In Rye both Engine 191 and Engine 192 carryy extrication tools.

In Dobbs Ferry we have both U-24 and E-49 both have tool a full set.

In Croton...

R18 has an on-board system capable of running two tools simultaneously and carries 1 cutter, 2 spreaders, 2 rams. They also have a portable power unit that can run one tool at a time. (All Hurst) Also carried is a Partner saw w/ metal abrasion blade, 2 battery powered Dewalt reciprocating saws and a Milwaukee electric Sawzall.

E120 has a portable system capable of running one tool, and carries a combi-tool. (Hurst) They also have 1 DeWalt battery-powered reciprocating saw.

E118 & E119 carry the Holmatro HCT3120 Manually-powered combi-tools. Both of these Engines also have Partner saws with metal abrasion blades and two sawzalls.

Newer / upgraded equipment is being explored.

On a side note, Hurst is still running their promotion where you buy certain spreaders, cutters and hose, you can get a power unit for free.

More info:

Selector Unit Promo

Simo Power Unit Promo

Trimo Power Unit Promo

Bedford Rescue 44 and Engine 110 (with spreaders and cutters)

West Harrison has full set of Cutter, Spreader, Rams, combination tool and Air Powered Tools on Rescue 35. Engine 265 has spreader and Cutter. We have a portable unit with Combination Tool on Eng 267.

Edited by WHFD318

All YFD truck companies, the squad and rescue carry extrication tools in Yonkers. Also, Yonkers Police ESU fully outfits their trucks with spreaders, cutters, combo and rams.

In addition to the above front line units YFD also has full extracation capability on the following reserve apparatus

L-76

L-79

E-316

R-2

USAR-1

In North Castle all of the Fire Departments (Armonk, Banksville, and North White Plains) have at least one set of tools on their apparatus, if not more. Also, North Castle PD has extrication equipment on both of their ESU trucks. A good system all in all. Multiple tools help when needed and, thankfully, it is a cooperative effort to work to free the victims in the MVA without any drama or territory battles. It has worked for many years thankfully!

In ossining rescue 14 has 2 hurst tools the old and new. It has all the cool toys like cribbing and spreaders and everything else. Engine 96 has some sorta cutter tool but i forgot what its called. Its a little portable electric hydralic cutter.

New Rochelle has full set of tools on L-12 & L-13, There will be 2 full sets on the new R-4 (one on current unit) and a combi tool on E-25

Tarrytown E77 has a set of Hurst tools, E80 has a set of Holmatro tools. I believe when E80 gets replaced it will be a rescue pumper.

Edited my post on Danbury thanks to some corrections by DFD801, Engines 21 and 23 don't carry tools and Truck 2 does.

Edited by SageVigiles

Purchase FD

Engine 239 (1979 Seagrave/Refurb '90)

Pre-connected Lukas Combi-Tool

Engine 240 (2003 Seagrave)

Pre-connected Lukas cutter and spreader

Additional Combi-Tool

Composite Cribbing

Lukas Ram

Sawzall

Rescue 30 (2004 Seagrave)

Pre-connected Lukas cutters, spreader, and combi-tool

Battery powered Holtmotro combi-tool

Portable hydraulic generator

Lukas Ram

Wood Cribbing: 8x8, 6x6, 4x4, 2x4, wedges, and step chocks

Rescue Jack Stabilization System

Partner Saw with metal blade

Two Sawzalls

and more... ;)

Rescue 30 and Engine 240 respond to all motor vehicle accidents

JBJ

Hey not to sure on what type of equipment or their equipment setup but Mount Kisco Fire Rescue 15 (Heavy) and Rescue 31 (Light) both carry the Jaws. Rescue 15 also carries cribbing and the rescue jack system.

White Plains

E-66-----Hurst 32A Spreader, Hurst “O” Cutter, 30” Ram & cribbing, on board power unit w/ 100' reel

B&S portable power unit.

Scheduled for replacement w/new Pumpers 11/09 new Hurst unit out for bid

E-70-----Hurst 32B Spreader, Extractor Cutter, 30” ram 60” ram, Cribbing, onboard power unit

w/100’ reel & B&S portable power unit

E-71-----Hurst 32B Spreader, Hurst “O” Cutter, 30” ram onboard power unit w/100’ reel

B&S portable power unit and cribbing.

R-88 ----Hurst 32A Spreader, MOC II Cutter, 30” ram, 60” ram, Simo power unit,

Power hawk unit and struts, Chain Comealongs, Full Rescue Jack set,

Vetter Hi-pressure air bags, Vetter low pressure airbags & Cribbing,

wizzers, pneumatic hand tools, Ajax tools

Petrogen torches and plasma cutters

Edited by fyrlt17

Two Irvington FD units carry Hurst tools, cribbing, and extrication tools:

E-177

R-49

I know you said Westchester, but I can describe a couple of the CT Departments I know of that run multiple extrication units

New Haven:

Squad 1

Squad 2

I also believe all truck companies carry extrication equipment (there are 4)

The last I knew just Truck 2 at Howard Ave Station to do being close to I-95. They used to have a tool on it. I think the Squads are the only ones now that run a full compliment. When I was dispatching, Squads 1 & 2 were the extrication units and Truck 2 was a back up.

Curious as to what several people have referred to as "a full set" of tools. Does this mean simply a spreader, a combi tool, and a cutter? What size spreaders do people carry? Same question applies to rams, I suppoose. Are departments carrying multiple lengths of rams?

Briarcliff:

E92, E94, R37

All have Hurst spreaders, cutters and rams. E92 and R37 have portable units as well as an on board power unit. I'm not 100% sure about the specs of E94, however i believe they also have the same setup.

Reading about my boys from Millwood putting multiple tools into work this AM, I've been thinking about the fire service in Westchester and which departments are well prepared to deal with extraneous incidents. Before I moved to Florida I used to discuss Millwood's foam and water supply capabilities on this site. Since I've left, they have gone from having a fully equipped heavy rescue (R-36) and a pumper with a combi tool (E-248) to a department with a heavy rescue (R-36), full rescue pumper (E-248), and a pumper with a combi tool and "o" cutters (E-247). Briarcliff has also taken an agressive policy toward the ability to "cut" with E92, E94, & R37. I'm curious to know who else is putting multiple tools on the street these days. I think it is valuble for IC's to know, when preplanning who will transfer to their station during a major incident, who has the most functionability. I think E-119 and E-270 are carrying tools as well. Who else has rescue pumper capability in addition to a heavy rescue?

In reading all the responses to this post so far, it just seems to me like more evidence that Westchester County Fire Services are critically in need of consolidation and regionalization...too many toys of too many different types and not enough people who are consistently ready and able to play with them in a timely fashion when necessary.

In reading all the responses to this post so far, it just seems to me like more evidence that Westchester County Fire Services are critically in need of consolidation and regionalization...too many toys of too many different types and not enough people who are consistently ready and able to play with them in a timely fashion when necessary.

Great Point

So far, just on this thread I count 62 (I counted combi tool onlys as !/2) systems and more than 1/2 the depts are not listed. At an average of $30,000 per set Thats $1,860,000 in tools plus all the "extras" to work them and in some cases the vehicles.

Great Point

So far, just on this thread I count 62 (I counted combi tool onlys as !/2) systems and more than 1/2 the depts are not listed. At an average of $30,000 per set Thats $1,860,000 in tools plus all the "extras" to work them and in some cases the vehicles.

With that much money you would afford to pay 30 firefighters yearly salary at $62,000 a year

If you count the other half of departments in Westchester County as having the same costs as the first half that would pay for 60 firefighters that could be a full 4 man engine crew for 15 departments or 30 two man engines or 20 three man engines.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Back in the 70's when I first became involved in the volunteer fire service, very few agencies had a "tool" and those departments that did were considered "wealthy". Over the years it seems more departments now have multiple extrication capabilities, insofar as "old" tools are kept in service when upgraded equipment is purchased.

Thank you to our very own Chief Flynn for pointing out (once again) the obvious need for consolidation of Westchester Departments, and to Captain Nechis for quantifying the baseline cost factors.

Don't get me wrong, you guys are "preaching to the choir" here. I don't think anyone reading doubts the need.

The concept has to be embraced at a much higher level of County or even State government, to be implemented.

But Please, do, keep beating that drum. Eventually it'll be heard.

I don't believe it was Ed's intent for this topic to take this turn, but it remains something that needs ongoing discussion.

In ossining rescue 14 has 2 hurst tools the old and new. It has all the cool toys like cribbing and spreaders and everything else. Engine 96 has some sorta cutter tool but i forgot what its called. Its a little portable electric hydralic cutter.

E96 has a PowerHawk brand extrication tool.

I agree with Chief Flynn and Capt. Nechis regarding this thread. It seems that every FD/Company HAS to have everything. Going one step further, and I've been contemplating this for the last week, it seems that every Company also, HAS to have everything. The reasons for HAVING to have everything is 1) we had it on our previous rig, so we HAVE to have it on the new one. It doesn't matter that you only used that piece of equipment three times in twenty years, we had it, we have to have it. 2) One (or all) of the other Company's in the Department has it, so we HAVE to have it also. It doesn't matter that a majority of the Company Members/Drivers wouldn't remember how to use it, we HAVE to have it.

As long as there is the enough equipment/resources within a reasonable response time is what the big picture SHOULD be, NOT that everybody HAS to HAVE evertyhing.

Just remember BIGGER IS BETTER. <_<

Chief Flynn and Capt. Nechis don't know me personally, so it's not their fault that they don't know how passionate I am about consolidation in my old stomping grounds. I didn't include that in my discussion thus it's their perogitive if they would like to include it in the discussion. The number of Tower Ladders, Cascades, Heavy Rescues and other redundant equipment in Northern Westchester, as well as the cost to the tax payers makes me sick.

I am a firm believer that the fire service evolves with the communities that it protects. Today, the majority of Northern Westchester departments are facing a greater possibility of dealing with a multiple vehicle crash then they are with a major structure fire. The fire load in Norther Westchester is evolving into a more modern and easier to prevent large fires scenerio with new construction than what it used to be. On the other hand, roads in Northern Westchester are busier then they have ever been regardless of the widening projects that have gone on. Thus, I feel like placing more hydraulic rescue systems on engines, there is a better chance that rescue services will be provided to those who need it in Northern Westchester's conjested roadways.

What Northern Westchester doesn't need any more of is Ladders, Tower Ladders, Heavy Rescues, and Cascades. I ususally reserve my examples for my old department to prevent anyone else from getting their panties in a wad, but lets face it Northern Westchester could dump a bunch of ladders and let departments like Ossining, Pleasantville, Thornwood, Yorktown, Bedford Hills, and Mt. Kisco handle the truck work. Let other departments handle the heavy squad work and everyone else run some form of rescue engine with whatever else they need to get by like a tanker etc. A perfect example is Millwood..... A well equipped rescue wagon in each station plus a tanker in station 2 and mini pumper in staion 1 is all they need... Put a truck from any of the other departments I mentioned on the initial dispatch and you're covered.

Everyone leave the apparatus ego at home.... And I definately stopped Taking It Personally (QTIP) a long time ago. I welcome everyone's comments.

Edited by mfc2257