Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New Chief Of Mount Vernon FD

75 posts in this topic

Hey, I took a course on how to be gullible so I believe he's the best man for the job

I heard that the mayor is going to make Heavy D the next School Superintendant! :lol:

Hey, I take plenty of classes about how to run fire departments, hell, I'm getting a Bachelor's in it, how come nobody called me for this job? I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT! Haha.

Hey, I take plenty of classes about how to run fire departments, hell, I'm getting a Bachelor's in it, how come nobody called me for this job? I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT! Haha.

Sorry, you are over qualified.

You have to be a member of a specific church group.

Sorry, you are over qualified.

Hahaha...

I feel bad for the guys of FDMV who have to put up with all this BS lately, gotta hand it to them for sticking it out despite the crap instead of a mass exodus to other departments.

Bugs Bunny - the perfect employee. Never absent. Never late. Never changes the script. Doesn't have an agent. Never asks for a percent of the profit. Doesn't ask to have his relatives on the payroll

Can anybody help me ?????, and tell me where I can take this "class" on how to run a career department. :huh:

Getting back on track....is Everett going to still be with the department in another capacity?

Getting back on track....is Everett going to still be with the department in another capacity?

That's what I'd like to know also. I had heard before the story broke, that Chief Everett was demoted!!

Can anyone confirm this ?????

Again, I will ask this question.

Also, has Mount Vernon officially announced this to the public, via press release or promotial ceremony?

SOP...(SOG?) City Hall back-room and/or under-the-table deals don't get announced or press coverage until they see the light of day, after it becomes a scandal and subsequent damage control comes complete with finger pointing.

According to article in journal news on 9/30, Chief Everett was demoted to Capt. and Salahuddin was made chief. Was Everett's permanent rank Deputy Chief?

According to article in journal news on 9/30, Chief Everett was demoted to Capt. and Salahuddin was made chief. Was Everett's permanent rank Deputy Chief?

I can't find the article on their site, do you have a link?

I still don't understand, maybe one of the Mount Vernon FF's can help me out......is the Fire Chief role an appointed position, or a civil service position?

Also, what is the difference between the fire commisioner and fire chief???

Does Mount Vernon feel that this move is going to benefit the department somehow? Why was Everett demoted to CAPTAIN?

I want to put money on Mount Vernon hyping they got the "new" used apparatus because of this captain who's now Chief.......

I heard he's only going to fill the position until the new chief gets his release and moves from Disney.

is the Fire Chief role an appointed position, or a civil service position?

Their is a civil service title of Fire Chief, but Mt. Vernon has not had one in over 25 years. Mt Vernon has Deputy Chiefs (civil service) and one is appointed as operations chief. He gets about $1,200 per year extra, hardly worth it.

Also, what is the difference between the fire commisioner and fire chief???

City's in NYS have agency heads that are appointed "civilians" and have the title "commissioner" this is not the same as elected "fire commissioners in a fire district. A fire chief is a civil service position. Most city's that have fire commissioners also have either a chief of operations or a fire chief, in some cases (2301) they hold both titles.

Why was Everett demoted to CAPTAIN?

Lohud listed that, but I am not sure if that can be done under civil service law.

Everett was not demoted to Captain he was only removed from the Chief of Operations (appointed by a mayor) . He is still a civil service Deputy Chief and at this juncture is detailed to a staff position.

Can somebody define how we as firefighters should fight fires "the same way on the south side that we do on the northside"? A statement made recently to us hard working dedicated MV firefighters! As far as I am concerned a fire is fought the same way all the time, I looked in the Delmar textbook and could not find the difference between northside and southside firefighting???

Can somebody define how we as firefighters should fight fires "the same way on the south side that we do on the northside"? A statement made recently to us hard working dedicated MV firefighters! As far as I am concerned a fire is fought the same way all the time, I looked in the Delmar textbook and could not find the difference between northside and southside firefighting???

Wait until the new chief, Mickey shows up from Disney, he'll explain it.

Wow, different from the rumor I heard. I heard George Glover (former EFD chief) was coming out of retirment....

As with most rumors, you heard wrong bro. In the future, I'd appreciate if before you want to bring up my dad's name in this forum based on rumor with no facts; private message me first. I would be happy to provide you with accurate information.

~Stay safe

Captain George Glover Jr. (ret)

Eastchester Fire Department

Edit: To the younger brothers; study your supervisor textbooks and learn how to avoid "the grapevine." This is a classic example of how the grapevine is not helpful in the fire service. It can be used for any nefarious purpose, and if you buy into it you're only going to be misled.

Edited by efdcapt115

George,

Yes bad rumor. FDMV if it were true would have gained a competent professional who cared about the fire service and most importantly it's firefighters.

As with most rumors, you heard wrong bro. In the future, I'd appreciate if before you want to bring up my dad's name in this forum based on rumor with no facts; private message me first. I would be happy to provide you with accurate information.

~Stay safe

Captain George Glover Jr. (ret)

Eastchester Fire Department

Edit: To the younger brothers; study your supervisor textbooks and learn how to avoid "the grapevine." This is a classic example of how the grapevine is not helpful in the fire service. It can be used for any nefarious purpose, and if you buy into it you're only going to be misled.

FDMV don't worry, The new chief, Mickey will be arriving from Disney soon. Goofy is already running city hall.

I'll probably get sanctioned for this, it just came out.

You asked for it, ajs... Prepare for judgment day!

From the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Sister Mary Phillip Slapwrist

post-128-1255378854.jpg

Remember this?

Mr. Carroll said that he would like to see the consent decree revisited. The Vulcans, however, oppose any such effort.

"We still need it because the goals haven't been met," said Al-Farid Salahuddin, a captain in the Mount Vernon Fire Department and a member of the Vulcans. "The Fire Department is supposed to reflect the racial makeup of the community, and it still doesn't."

*What are the "goals" for the Department now with the new acting Chief? Being tight with the Mayor,maybe we can get more good things for the citizens and hard working firefighters in FDMV.

Edited by hudson144

How the hell....in this day and age where racism is supposed to be for all practical purposes..eradicated - especially in the workl place - is a racial group like the Vulcans allowed????????????

This is another prime of example of the racism double standard....and makes me sick!

How the hell....in this day and age where racism is supposed to be for all practical purposes..eradicated - especially in the workl place - is a racial group like the Vulcans allowed????????????

Key word here: "supposed". Racial/ethnic discrimination still goes on (not just in NY, but around the nation) in various forms whether you want to admit it or not.

The Vulcans are allowed because other groups such as the Emerald Society, Columbia Association, etc are allowed to exist.

I've been following this thread since its inception and its too bad its evolved to this point because in all honesty, its starting to become an embarassment.

In my opinion, I think its time to close it as it outlived its usefulness a long time ago.

I don't think I have ever seen the Emerald Society or Columbia association come out and say that somebody didn't get a promotion because they were Irish or Italian!! It seems that he Vulcans and other such Organizations like to play this card when they can. Bottom line, study for the test, pass the test, and wait to see what happens!!

I don't think I have ever seen the Emerald Society or Columbia association come out and say that somebody didn't get a promotion because they were Irish or Italian!! It seems that he Vulcans and other such Organizations like to play this card when they can. Bottom line, study for the test, pass the test, and wait to see what happens!!

That wasn't the thrust of my post. It was stated why should the vulcans be allowed to exist? So if you read my post, I stated the obvious rational for the vulcans being allowed to exist. The groups I mentioned have certain requirements in order to become a member; each has their own agenda they put forth. I honestly see no issue with that line of thinking.

The Emerald Society historically is an ethnic organization; the Irish. The Columbus guys were the Italians. So the vulcans are the black guys. If you wanna talk the turkey about it here you go;

There was never a perceived need to promote from an ethnic group because it was a white job mostly. The traditions of the job we cherish and love and pass on from generation to generation, was not part of the black culture. Then they started hiring black guys. So the "national" issue of "affirmitive action" came down on the FDMV. The black population in Mount Vernon has the political power right now. Any political power is going to use situations to further their agenda.

But along the way good things have happened. I think the black guys (as an outsider now) have come around to agree with the white guys as to what is fair or not. The word I heard from (oh jeez I'm usin the grapevine) New Haven was that the ruling was a non-issue for the membership up there.

Now there is a similar situation in FDMV and I for one am confident that the Firefighter involved in that issue is right and true and has that on his side. And when you go to court and show the truth, that's what it's about.

I have no idea why Chief Everett was canned or whatever happened down there; that's insider stuff that outsiders have no idea really.

Now this new chief has his hands full.

We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. But if the black power structure wants to deal with the truth, they will promote Jody Carroll. That can be a watershed for the FDMV and maybe start a healing process, and a sharing of values and what not to make the job one again. Show the vulcans about the culture of being a buff. How much we love and respect the job. There is common ground to make it work if the vulcans want to unclench their fist to a handshake to paraphrase POTUS.

Once again this is just and observation from an outsider. If anybody is offended by my opinion I assure you I did not intend to do it when I was writing. But I mean, where are the Vulcans on this website? Why are they not in the discussion? That might help.

Edited by efdcapt115