Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Westchester County Bomb Squad Truck

14 posts in this topic

Spotted this at the WC Police Academy, looks like it hauls the robot and at least one bomb suit that I could see. Pictures are a little crappy, but the lighting wasn't great in the gym where its parked, and there wasn't anyone to pull it out for us.

7818_1200823855835_1085700482_30694655_2

7818_1200823895836_1085700482_30694656_3

The SOD office is there that is one of 4 trucks

I saw the Bomb Squad office downstairs and the large garage outside, I assumed there were other rigs around the campus, but we, for obvious reasons, were not allowed to poke around. What else does SOD do other than Bomb Squad? Aviation and SWAT or what?

Edited by SageVigiles

The other trucks are not housed there that is the military garage they are also located at the academy sod also has the marine unit

I saw the Bomb Squad office downstairs and the large garage outside, I assumed there were other rigs around the campus, but we, for obvious reasons, were not allowed to poke around. What else does SOD do other than Bomb Squad? Aviation and SWAT or what?

SOD oversees:

Aviation Unit

Bomb Squad

Canine Unit

Marine Unit

Special Response Team (SRT) (SWAT team)

CBRNE Consequence Management

along with other special projects.

That is the old one. Not sure what they use that one for now. The new one is MUCH bigger, nicer and is parked in the Special Ops Garage at WCPD HQ.

I don't know, but there is DEFINITELY a robot and a suit in that truck, so maybe its a second piece or reserve unit?

The bomb truck is not at Hq any more they have a total of four vehicles assigned to the bomb squad a big truck a small truck and two trucks with bomb disposal trailers. The older truck is assigned to the SRT Team

Their primary vehicle is a 2004 E-One Cyclone II heavy rescue, with built in command post and robot stowage compartments. I've always tried to get photos of it, but never succeed. Maybe someone here has one they can post.

Seth they are now using the small one for the most part I dont know if it is to keep some of the wear and tear off the e-one

This picture is of a brand new truck not an old one. Like Tommy said this is primary and the E-One is secondary. Easier to maneuver and use then the big one.

This picture is of a brand new truck not an old one. Like Tommy said this is primary and the E-One is secondary. Easier to maneuver and use then the big one.

Big one still much cooler AND has a roto-ray! However this truck looks well suited for everyday use.........

Here is my photo of the E-One. Love the roto-ray!

post-35-1256170016.jpg

Thanks Scod your right on. The new "rapid response" vehicle can handle the vast majority of calls. The E-One will still respond on major jobs and with two outfitted trucks, the squad can respond to two calls at once. (Yes it has happened before). The BS responds to a multi-county area and for those of who live in dutchess... despite the fact that you guys and gals can make it door to door in 45 mins (lol), the E-One takes much longer going north on the TSP.