Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Westchester County Trunked System

28 posts in this topic

I did a few searches didnt come up with much... does anyone know where I can get the a full list of the frequencies/info for the Trunked system. And if anyone happens to know what happens if you plug those frequencies into a non trunked scanner... would you get any useable signal or is a trunking scanner required. Trying not to have to upgrade if I don't have to. Thanks!

Check the Database on http://www.radioreference.com/

Trunk Information http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1744

All the information is listed under New York , Westchester County.

Also click of the Fourms. Find New York State section. Lots of discussion on the system.

As far as entering the Freq into Trunk capable scanner I will leave that up to SteveOFD to reply. ;)

Thanks that looks good, I was on this site before but missed this page somehow.

Absolutely, you can program the 5 north zone and 3 south zone trunk system frequencies into a conventional scanner and you will hear stuff (as long as you are within range), the only potential problem is since the system frequency used during a conversation can change every time someone keys up, you could end up not hearing parts. Plus there can be radio traffic you might not necessarily want to hear, ie: the Bee Line Bus, that interrupts a conversation you were following.

Just make sure you leave out the primary control channels (listed in red) or all you will hear is something that sounds like a diesel engine running all the time!

cas2383, just an FYI the EMTBravo search feature (top right) will provide a wealth of info on theis system if you type in "trunked system". With that said Jack got the info right that you are asking for.

For more detailed (yet understandable) info on how trunked systems operate, and I think everyone who uses, or may use the system, should read the Radioreference Trunked Radio Wiki.

Does anyone know of a webpage anywhere that has the full and UPDATED list of who generally operates on specific EMS/Fire frequencies...for example, what agencies operate on EMS 12, Fire 12, etc...I don't want to waste 60 control's time requesting a full list if it is out there somewhere.

Radio reference has the frequencies, but doesn't state the agencies that operate under each. . .

Thanks for the help.

Wasn't it supposed to be the different battalions used their channels ? I'm in batt 10 we use fire 10, when we go to batt 12 we switch to fire 12.

shfirefighter likes this

The Deaprtments that use the Trunked System "full time" are (if I remember correctly):

Ardsley - Fire 14

Armonk - Fire 16

Banksville - Fire 16

Bedford Hills - Fire 16

Bedford - Fire 16

Chappaqua - Fire 16

Croton Falls - Fire 13

Fairview - Fire 14

Goldens Bridge - Fire 13

Hawthorne - Fire 11 (EMS 11 for EMS)

Irvington - Fire 14

Katonah - Fire 16

Mamaroneck Town - Fire 15

Mount Kisco - Fire 16

Sleepy Hollow - Fire 12

North White Plains - Fire 19

Pleasantville - Fire 11

Purchase - Fire 19

South Salem - Fire 13

Thornwood - Fire 11

Valhalla - Fire 11

Vista - Fire 13

Yorktown - Fire 17

Westchester EMS (45 Medics) use EMS 13 or EMS 16 depending on where the call is)

Katonah-Bedford Hills VAC - EMS 16

Mount Kisco VAC - EMS 16

Pound Ridge VAC - EMS 13

JBJ1202 likes this

The Deaprtments that use the Trunked System "full time" are (if I remember correctly):

Ardsley - Fire 14

Armonk - Fire 16

Banksville - Fire 16

Bedford Hills - Fire 16

Bedford - Fire 16

Chappaqua - Fire 16

Croton Falls - Fire 13

Fairview - Fire 14

Goldens Bridge - Fire 13

Irvington - Fire 14

Katonah - Fire 16

Mount Kisco - Fire 16

Sleepy Hollow - Fire 12

Pleasantville - Fire 11

Purchase - Fire 19

South Salem - Fire 13

Thornwood - Fire 11

Valhalla - Fire 11

Vista - Fire 13

Yorktown - Fire 17

Westchester EMS (45 Medics) use EMS 13 or EMS 16 depending on where the call is)

Mount Kisco VAC - EMS 16

Pound Ridge VAC - EMS 13

Good thing you remember. I am going to need a refresher course I think. :blink::unsure:

Ardsley - Fire 14

Armonk - Fire 16

Banksville - Fire 16

Bedford Hills - Fire 16

Bedford - Fire 16

Chappaqua - Fire 16

Croton Falls - Fire 13

Fairview - Fire 14

Goldens Bridge - Fire 13

Irvington - Fire 14

Katonah - Fire 16

Mount Kisco - Fire 16

Sleepy Hollow - Fire 12

Pleasantville - Fire 11

Purchase - Fire 19

South Salem - Fire 13

Thornwood - Fire 11

Valhalla - Fire 11

Vista - Fire 13

Yorktown - Fire 17

Mount Kisco VAC - EMS 16

Pound Ridge VAC - EMS 13

Thanks for the info buddy.. I was wondering how many of these departments that have switched over to the Trunked System full time have made modifications to their pagers/portable radios to be able to monitor these frequencies? I have heard of some departments using low/high/UHF frequencies converted from the trunked system to be able to "listen like they used to on 46.26." I do not understand how it works or if it is practical. Listen only, no transmitting... Any thoughts?

Thanks for the info buddy.. I was wondering how many of these departments that have switched over to the Trunked System full time have made modifications to their pagers/portable radios to be able to monitor these frequencies? I have heard of some departments using low/high/UHF frequencies converted from the trunked system to be able to "listen like they used to on 46.26." I do not understand how it works or if it is practical. Listen only, no transmitting... Any thoughts?

We have 2 frequencies in the 400mhz range that simulcast on a repeater 46.26 and Fire 17 so our pagers can pick up both.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Anything for you pal! Last I knew of, Fire 13 is linked to a low band frequency in the South Salem area, Fire 16 is linked to possibly both a UHF and a low band frequency in Katonah and EMSjunkie712 & mymack1 already covered their respective links.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have something setup to broadcast your communications on the trunked system so your responding members can hear what's going on over their pagers. We're still talking about our future communications plan, and I wouldn't rule out anything, so long as my members can hear what is going on.

Does Mt Vernon, Yonkers, White Plains etc. have trunked radios to communicate with 60 Control? IF not shouldn't they?

Does Mt Vernon, Yonkers, White Plains etc. have trunked radios to communicate with 60 Control? IF not shouldn't they?

Yes, they all have the capability.

The trunked system for those agencies would likely only be used during a mutual aid scenario, where they were operating outside of their own jurisdictions.

Yes, they all have the capability.

The trunked system for those agencies would likely only be used during a mutual aid scenario, where they were operating outside of their own jurisdictions.

I know it was suggested when mutual aid departments covered Yonkers for their LODD funeral. However, in the end they just used Yonkers raido's in the end.

Yonkers used the trunked radio system during the recent storm - we used a Tac channel to communicate with additional special units in the field and our dispatchers as well as our special operations command - it proved to be an effective means of communication while not tying up our main fire ops channel. We had only previously used it during training and on a limited basis with M/A - worked out very well!

We were on Fire 10 from Thursday afternoon until this morning and it worked out well. My biggest concern (as it always is) with being on Fire 10 is how will responding members know what's going on. Apparently it doesn't matter (or it works better then actually knowing??) because over 50 members made our first fire yesterday.

We were on Fire 10 from Thursday afternoon until this morning and it worked out well. My biggest concern (as it always is) with being on Fire 10 is how will responding members know what's going on. Apparently it doesn't matter (or it works better then actually knowing??) because over 50 members made our first fire yesterday.

Had my Dept ( West Harrison) utilize Fire 19 for yesterday at the rquest of 60 Control; Never recieved a "busy" signal" during the height of the storm with tremendous call load being generated throughout the County. It truly proved it's viability yesterday. BTW, Excellent job to those staffing the Radio !!

Edited by jack10562
posts merged

Yonkers used the trunked radio system during the recent storm - we used a Tac channel to communicate with additional special units in the field and our dispatchers as well as our special operations command - it proved to be an effective means of communication while not tying up our main fire ops channel. We had only previously used it during training and on a limited basis with M/A - worked out very well!

IMO this is what the Trunked System is for, an alternate communications system.

I've been meaning to post this idea for a while now. For interoperable responses (Fire and EMS responding to the same call) the way I have heard agencies communicate with each other may not be the most convenient. What I mean by this is that a Fire Chief would need to switch banks from the Fire bank to the EMS bank to communicate with an EMS agency, the switch back to the Fire TG. A more convenient alternative would be upon dispatch, the dispatch agency would notify both responding agencies to switch to an Operations TalkGroup. Both agencies would then "only" have to turn their dial on their own bank to access this Ops TG since both the Fire and EMS banks have the same common Ops and Tac TG's. To take this one step further for better commonality the various Battalions could be "assigned" an Ops TG just as they are "assigned" Fireground channels (i.e. Battalion 12(Fire12 & EMS12) would use Ops 2, Batt 10(Fire10 & EMS10) would use Ops 10)). This would standardize the response so everyone would know when they are responding on an interagency call they would utilize "their" Ops TG. Ops TG's would be the preferred TG's because, as far as I know, 60 Control has access to and records the Ops TG's while they do not do this for the Tac TG's. Anyone have any thoughts on this, and could this work?

While searching the FCC database recently, I found that Westchester County has received authorization to operate on a new UHF frequency pair (476.3000/479.3000MHz) under license WQMI295 at the North Zone towers with Mobile operation. As of now this pair is licensed for conventional (not trunked) operation. The waiver requests dated 09/03/08 & 09/24/08 both state (on page 4 of these waiver requests) that this pair will be used in the trunked system. So, heads up that the frequency 476.3000MHz may need to be programmed in to your scanners for the North Zone if this license is converted from conventional (PW) to trunked operation (YW).

Edited by SteveOFD

What the best way to find wrstchester county firefreq I hear on live feed online put not sure what freq that is on the live fee to program In my scanner

What the best way to find wrstchester county firefreq I hear on live feed online put not sure what freq that is on the live fee to program In my scanner

The information you are looking for is in the links mentioned previously in this thread.

How come I hear lot of talking on the trucking system but nothing being toned out it my missing anything

Dispatching was never designed to be done on the trunked system… Tones are put out over 46.26 then units use the trunk system to call 60-control