Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pd125

City of Beacon looks to close a station

48 posts in this topic

Not to steal bnechis' thunder or anything but what will the impact on the city's ISO rating be? Can that be translated into an actual cost for city taxpayers (homeowners and businesses)?

It may very well be less expensive for the taxpayer to keep the fire station open and staffed if they show the savings to the taxpayers in their insurance payments.

Thanks Chris.

I do not know what BFD's rating is so this is very general. Dropping the engine (ISO requires a minimum of 2 on every fire response, but requires 3,500 gpm as the minimum dept pump capacity in most cases. Even if no drop in manning this can cause a drop of 1 ppe rank (8% insurance). The loss of a station, if it means the other engine will be more than 1.5 miles road distance will also prorate a drop based on the percentage that it is outside of the distance.

Loss of all career means that the volunteers will need a minimum of 36 ff's & 1 IC on every fire call.

Maybe scare tactics for negotiations....

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, just what I was thinking, Volk ,...........you know where this is coming from.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, just what I was thinking, Volk ,...........you know where this is coming from.

From someone who wears many hats...

As a paid member of the City of Beacon Firefighters and one of the four that will be on the chopping block, I would like to thank everyone for their support. The city is in the process of discussing closing Fire Station 1, dis-banning Engine 1 which is stationed their, and laying off 4 paid firefighters. The city at this point has brought this up at a budget hearing with the department chief, however there is no official movement at this time either way. The city will be announcing their official intentions shortly at which time we will announce how our department will handle the situation.

Will try to keep everyone informed on what is going on... In the interim please keep us in your thoughts... THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!

There are plenty of things you can do; if they do informational picketing, you can join them on the line as a show of solidarity; you can deluge the City Manager's office with letters objecting to the proposed closings/layoffs, you can inform the elected officials of the possible political ramifications at the next election when their terms are up. you can camp out in front of the City Managers house and let his neighbors know that he's putting them and their families at risk, you can assist the paid guys in getting petitions signed by the citizens of Beacon condemning the city's actions, etc. There's all kinds of legally permissible activities you can do without withholding your services as a volunteer.

Which is more my point, that there are things that can be done, without threatening to withdraw services. Yes, I know its an attention grabber, but unless it really resorts to that, I could think of more constructive angles to approach before "threatening" the public with withholding services.

One engine? We just had a discussion about how important water supply is and the direct correlation between loss of water and firefighter fatalities in the City of NY. We are heading into the cold weather all it takes is one frozen hydrant and disaster will strike. The Volunteers should make it clear that the city must ensure their safety by keeping two engine companies open at all times. Why should the firefighters in Beacon accept the increased risk that would be incurred by these risky cuts?

As a Beacon F.F , the thought of refusing to respond to a call would never enter my mind. Anyone that has suggested that or is thinking that, is Wrong. That is not the way to get things done. It hasn't even been talked about.

The city was looking into closing Sta.1 back in the early 90's . The Volunteers, and the Career staff as One, formed a picket line on a cold night in opposition .

Just a question to think about. I dont belive Beacon's ladder has a pump on it , if it does stop reading here. If it dosent and the ladder shows up at a working fire first what happens if the only engine they have dosent make it to the scene (breaks down , has an accident or comes upon another call ect)? This could in my opinion cause some serious safety issues for the crews responding and the public we serve. I could unterstand if they want to get rid of the station to have cost on heating electric and maint of the building but cutting out 4 Firefighters and an engine is NOT the answer so save money

It's obvious that Beacon is ready to play Russion Roulette with public safety......... ;)

My job was there for our brothers in Newburgh and will also be there for our brothers in Beacon. We in Port Chester local#1971 will never forget the help we got when needed for the Rual Metro Mess in the mid 90's

It's obvious that Beacon is ready to play Russion Roulette with public safety......... ;)

I think it is the responsiblilty of all department members career and volunteer to make that well known to the residents of the City of Beacon. If my city were looking to do something similar, you bet I would be there to support the Career staff of my department! As far as refusing to respond, I don't know if thats the best approach. That may send a message to the residents that the FD members are disregarding public safety and may in turn come back to bite you, there are better ways as previously mentioned. I agree it is 100% criminal to attempt to protect a city the size of and as diverse as Beacon. Best of luck to the City of Beacon Professional FF's!

Last night the city fire department showed up with around 50 current and past volunteers as well as active and retired paid firefighters. The meeting was so packed that the entire chamber was filled to standing room only and into the hall way.

With that said the meeting started with the city signing an official binding proclamation stating that they will be discontinuing looking into disbanding Engine One and laying off any career staff for budget year 2010. However they are leaving on the table shutting down Station 1 and relocating everything down to Station 2.

So it looks like the company and career staff are saved, however they still may be shutting down the building. The building is the oldest in the city, 1890. It houses Engine 1 and protects the Mountainside District of the city.

Last night the city fire department showed up with around 50 current and past volunteers as well as active and retired paid firefighters. The meeting was so packed that the entire chamber was filled to standing room only and into the hall way.

With that said the meeting started with the city signing an official binding proclamation stating that they will be discontinuing looking into disbanding Engine One and laying off any career staff for budget year 2010. However they are leaving on the table shutting down Station 1 and relocating everything down to Station 2.

So it looks like the company and career staff are saved, however they still may be shutting down the building. The building is the oldest in the city, 1890. It houses Engine 1 and protects the Mountainside District of the city.

Just goes to show that there is strength in numbers!

Nice Job! Congratulations! Now tell 'em you need more guys!

GREAT NEWS! I'll be sorry to see Station 1 shut down. But, I glad I'll still be working with ALL the guys. Beacon FD does a great job on EMS response.

Bill Oehrlein

(Flycar 302)