Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New Rochelle Laying Off 6 Firefighters - no longer a rumor

27 posts in this topic

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but I'm just trying to figure it out and confirm- did New Rochelle give pink slips to 6 firefighters right before Christmas? Also, were these layoffs done by seniority?

Please note I LOVE Commisioner Doc Kiernan and the leadership of NRFD-they run a great department, and the union as they were always supportive of 60 Control when I was there, and I know they had nothing to do with this.

If this is true, could this result in the closing of a company? I know during the last budget crisis, Engine 24 was on the chopping block.

Is the City laying off any of the garbagemen?

The Mayor and City Council should be ashamed of themselves. These are the consequences when you give tax incentives to developers yet fail to properly plan for the future growth that comes along with it.

I'm hoping and praying that some last minute funding comes through from somewhere.......

unfortunately x635 its true for the website talk of new rochelle UPDATE: Byron Gray, President of Local 273, the firefighter's union, has confirmed that pink slips did go out today. The reason they went out today is that by law the City must give 2 weeks notice of layoffs and the City wanted to cut six positions by the end of the calendar year.

Gray is unhappy, telling Talk of the Sound "they took our negotiated raises out of the budget to bring the tax rate down and put the decision on us." The rank and file will have to vote on whether to agree to some sort of raise deferral or a headcount reduction. The dilemma for the firefighters union is that there is no guarantee that there will be no layoffs if they agree to defer their raises.

Over the next two weeks, Grey says he will continue to negotiate with Chuck Strome on a deferral proposal. Meanwhile, the union will meet to consider their options and, at some point, Strome will have to go back to the City Council if some compromise can be reached.

What I can't figure out with the city budget is we are talking just a few dollars per household to maintain the level of service we have now.

As an example, I am paying around $17,000 a year in taxes. Of that $17,000 only about 18-20% goes toward my city portion. The rest goes to school, county, sewer, library and garbage. My taxes are above the median level for the city. If you break down the 3 increases proposed you we see we are talking dollars per month.

$17,000 @ 20% ( for round numbers) = City tax for 2009 of $3400. A 5.9% ( I believe this is the rate that city council has adopted) increase is $200 increase over 2009. A 8% increase is $272 increase. And a 9% increase is $306 increase. The 9% figure for no reduction of service in 2010. This is for ALL city services, not just the fire department.

Take the 9% increase of $306 minus the adopted increase of $200 and that equals $106 more in 2010 for NO REDUCTION in services. That's $8.00 per month. Many residents of New Rochelle pay far less than I do and many pay half.

Now many of the older residents on fixed income would only have an additional $50 above the adopted increase for the year to maintain services at the 2009 level.

Edited by LTNRFD

This sucks for the NRFD. Even if you negotiate no raises this year, and they keep the six positions, what guarantee is there next year that something similar won't occur?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't E24 first due to many high-life/risk facilitiies, including Home Depot and several nursing homes? Doesn't make sense to me to take from any company, let alone one that has so many lives to protect in it's own first due area.

Good luck NRFD.

Thanks for the numbers LTNRFD. I was wondering what the impact would be on the taxpayer. The reality is that they don't equate these cuts to reality, that is actual people working an actual job and the operational impact losing 21 positions will have on the department.

To them it's all - reduce the tax rate. These cuts may reduce the tax increase from 12% to 8% (totally ficitional numbers used only for illustration) but the taxpayers will actually be getting screwed twice. There's still a tax increase and the service they receive is being cut.

Sadly, even if the union defers their raise, they're out the 15 positions that were vacant and elminated and in all likelihood they'll be facing the same nightmare next year or even sooner if the State keeps cutting aid to locals and schools.

It ain't over yet - not by a long shot!

How about the ISO rating that New Rochelle has. We have a rating of a 2. That equates to a great reduction in fire insurance to commercial property owners as well as homeowners. Lay off the 6 guys, don't replace the 15 we are down and close E24 or L12 and watch what the rating will be. I would bet your insurance will rise more than what it would be to keep the numbers. At least we have a new $1,000,000.00 rescue that is not manned full time. I guess there is always a silver lining to every story.

helicopper likes this

How about the ISO rating that New Rochelle has. We have a rating of a 2. That equates to a great reduction in fire insurance to commercial property owners as well as homeowners. Lay off the 6 guys, don't replace the 15 we are down and close E24 or L12 and watch what the rating will be. I would bet your insurance will rise more than what it would be to keep the numbers. At least we have a new $1,000,000.00 rescue that is not manned full time. I guess there is always a silver lining to every story.

That's something that the taxpaying public should be made aware of. Save $50 or $100 in taxes, pay $100-200 more in insurance and risk not having enough resources show up when your house is on fire.

What I can't figure out with the city budget is we are talking just a few dollars per household to maintain the level of service we have now.

As an example, I am paying around $17,000 a year in taxes. Of that $17,000 only about 18-20% goes toward my city portion. The rest goes to school, county, sewer, library and garbage. My taxes are above the median level for the city. If you break down the 3 increases proposed you we see we are talking dollars per month.

$17,000 @ 20% ( for round numbers) = City tax for 2009 of $3400. A 5.9% ( I believe this is the rate that city council has adopted) increase is $200 increase over 2009. A 8% increase is $272 increase. And a 9% increase is $306 increase. The 9% figure for no reduction of service in 2010. This is for ALL city services, not just the fire department.

Take the 9% increase of $306 minus the adopted increase of $200 and that equals $106 more in 2010 for NO REDUCTION in services. That's $8.00 per month. Many residents of New Rochelle pay far less than I do and many pay half.

Now many of the older residents on fixed income would only have an additional $50 above the adopted increase for the year to maintain services at the 2009 level.

Nice work on the breakdown of the numbers. IMHO you should pass that along to the union asap, if you haven't already. They should get that information into the media, go on VOX, put it on leaflets and distribute it at the train station, library and places of public assembly. Fight the b@stards, and best luck NRFD.

Nice work on the breakdown of the numbers. IMHO you should pass that along to the union asap, if you haven't already. They should get that information into the media, go on VOX, put it on leaflets and distribute it at the train station, library and places of public assembly. Fight the b@stards, and best luck NRFD.

There's nothing new or rocket scientific about the numbers. The city council is well aware of what the actual dollar figures are. It's John Q. Public that's the problem. Many of the citizens think that the emergency services get paid way too much for the "little amount of work they do". They forget how many fires and emergencies that the emergency services respond to, or they are home sleeping when the emergency happens. The public wants the workers of the city to make up the difference (short fall) in the budget. Instead of every citizen paying their fair share for the services they have and deserve.

There is a group that wants the emergency services downsized. They just can't stomach the budgeted dollar figure. When you get into the double digit millions of dollars for a single service, people think that there is a lot of fat. When actually it is paying a person a fair salary for a days work. Work that 95% of the citizens of the city would never do.

Edited by LTNRFD

There's nothing new or rocket scientific about the numbers. The city council is well aware of what the actual dollar figures are. It's John Q. Public that's the problem. Many of the citizens think that the emergency services get paid way too much for the "little amount of work they do". They forget how many fires and emergencies that the emergency services respond to, or they are home sleeping when the emergency happens. The public wants the workers of the city to make up the difference (short fall) in the budget. Instead of every citizen paying their fair share for the services they have and deserve.

There is a group that wants the emergency services downsized. They just can't stomach the budgeted dollar figure. When you get into the double digit millions of dollars for a single service, people think that there is a lot of fat. When actually it is paying a person a fair salary for a days work. Work that 95% of the citizens of the city would never do.

Point out the tax breaks Trump and Cappelli got and are still getting for those hi-rises. Note that both Trump annd Cappelli own their own helicopters. The City of NR can't afford a helo, so who is getting rich on the taxpayer's back? How much has NR have to spend to protect those buildings?

Cappelli and Trump should make up the difference. Screw their tax break! They want proper fire protection for their investment then pay for it otherwise don't build it, which from what I've heard was a bad idea anyway. They're not seeing much of a turnover.

Hopefully, the Politians and Citizens of the City of Yonkers are watching this one "very closely" With the impending "Downtown Development" project apparently a "Go" the Citizens and City Council Members will "Put In Writing" that the DEVELOPER pays for the additional fire protection needed for the additional buildings that will go into this massive project in Downtown Yonkers. The New YFD Fire Headquarters is nice, but each of those "6 Bays" at this new facility needs to have "full time" manned apparatus to provide the proper fire protection needed. (Just having TL71, R1, and the Safety Officer running out of the YFD Headquarters may just not cut it, with all of this new development (Ballpark, High Rise Buildings, New Retail Space, etc, etc). Could Yonkers see the recommissioning of Engine 301 and 302? What about the Additional Ladder Company and Fire House that was allegedly promissed for the Ridge Hill Development by the Developer? Maybe, just maybe, those who involved with all of the " i's " and " t's " on the agreements will make sure that the developer pays for what is needed, and doesn't allow what appears New Rochelle is now going thru, given all of the Development completed in Downtown New Rochelle (New Roc City, etc) and now they cut 6 firefighters, looking at the possiblity of cutting either E24 or L12? Again, hopefully the politicians and citizens of Yonkers are seeing this as an opportunity to tell the Yonkers Downtown Developer to put it in writing and pay for what is needed and not leave it totally up to the tax payers.

Cappelli and Trump should make up the difference. Screw their tax break! They want proper fire protection for their investment then pay for it otherwise don't build it, which from what I've heard was a bad idea anyway. They're not seeing much of a turnover.

Edited by 61MACKBR1

Hopefully, the Politians and Citizens of the City of Yonkers are watching this one "very closely" With the impending "Downtown Development" project apparently a "Go" the Citizens and City Council Members will "Put In Writing" that the DEVELOPER pays for the additional fire protection needed for the additional buildings that will go into this massive project in Downtown Yonkers. The New YFD Fire Headquarters is nice, but each of those "6 Bays" at this new facility needs to have "full time" manned apparatus to provide the proper fire protection needed. (Just having TL71, R1, and the Safety Officer running out of the YFD Headquarters may just not cut it, with all of this new development (Ballpark, High Rise Buildings, New Retail Space, etc, etc). Could Yonkers see the recommissioning of Engine 301 and 302? What about the Additional Ladder Company and Fire House that was allegedly promissed for the Ridge Hill Development by the Developer? Maybe, just maybe, those who involved with all of the " i's " and " t's " on the agreements will make sure that the developer pays for what is needed, and doesn't allow what appears New Rochelle is now going thru, given all of the Development completed in Downtown New Rochelle (New Roc City, etc) and now they cut 6 firefighters, looking at the possiblity of cutting either E24 or L12? Again, hopefully the politicians and citizens of Yonkers are seeing this as an opportunity to tell the Yonkers Downtown Developer to put it in writing and pay for what is needed and not leave it totally up to the tax payers.

Cities don't learn. If so, NR would have learned their lesson after giving Macy's "Forever Veto Power" over any future downtown projects. How 'bout rejecting Lord & Taylo"s proposal who then built in Eastchester. Every few years a snake oil salesman comes to town and NR buys the wagonload.

That's something that the taxpaying public should be made aware of. Save $50 or $100 in taxes, pay $100-200 more in insurance and risk not having enough resources show up when your house is on fire.

I agree,this information should be highly publicized. The politicians "smoke & mirrors" tactics get the taxpayers all riled up at us because we're easy targets! We rarely defend ourselves in public. They rule the media and get their spin on television and we get sidelined constantly. So the public '"buys into their BS and we lose! But really the public loses by reduced service but their "Bluffed" into believing the politicians are their "hero's" by making the "Tuff Choices" and beating up on the Unions gets the taxpayers behind them. In the end it's not the answer, it just buys them time until they're either out of office or some other convenient "unforeseen circumstance" comes along to shift the focus. It's a sickening game of Russian Roulette and I personally am sick of it!!

Maybe it's time to start the 2nd phase of the consolidation feasability study. Do a serious, in depth analysis to determine if combining departments will in fact save taxpayer money for fire protection. If so, how much?? Many questions, few answers. Lets find out.

I've been working EMS in New Rochelle for a few weeks now. I am very impressed with the professionalism and support that we receive from the firefighters of the NRFD. They help in lifting, carrying gear, and in other small and large ways. This situation is very unfortunate. My prayers are with the affected individuals and their families that next year might be brighter.

I know NRFD does a lot more with EMS than lifting and carrying your gear.

I wish the best for those being laid off and NRFD. It is ashame how the bean counters have a blind eye when it comes to public safety.

I have to say, as a resident of New Rochelle, and being I had a fire at my house.. I am very dishearten at the fact, the city officials have not, and will not choose to look for another situation..

I hope they don't cut E-24, just for the sure fact, they were first on scene at my fire.. I am scared to think what would of happened if 24 was gone at that time.. It would of went to 2nd or 3rd alarm no problem, given how close the houses are together on my street...

To each and every one of the NRFD members on this forum, and everywhere... I wish you all the best... I hope the city sees the error of this horrible decision, and finds another way to make this budget to work....

May god bless each and everyone of you, and your families... Here's to a happy and health New Year..

Here comes the bigger question.

What will happen with NRFD and mutual aid ??????? If Sta-4 closes and L-12 gets places out of service due to a shortage of manning on a shift, that would put NRFD down to 4 engines and 2 ladders. If there is a request from a neighboring department for assistance, 1 and 1, the City of New Rochelle would be then down to 3 and 1 in the city of 78,000. That would leave about 15 total on the manpower. I don't know if I could accept the lack of coverage in my city with NRFD in another area because that municipality also didn't raise taxes enough to provide adequate essential services.

Back in the 1960's, NRFD would run 7 engines and 3 ladders out of 7 stations, with a manpower nearly 200, in a city with a population of about 60,000. The tallest building at the time was the 14 story K building at North Ave and Huguenot St. Yearly run totals were about 2800. This included EMS (inhalator calls).

Just heard from my brothers from Port Chester local #1971 that are down in New Rochelle, Maybe some good news ! any body know ?

Alright News. It seems we have made some progress with the city. As for details I do not know ALL the facts so I will state none.

Alright News. It seems we have made some progress with the city. As for details I do not know ALL the facts so I will state none.

I will state that a strong brotherhood will over come whatever is thrown at it. I believe that our union has and will continue to show that we are united. When final word comes from the President we will post it. Thank you to all locals who supported us in our time of need. L273 will be there as always for you!

My thoughts and prayers to the brothers in New Ro. I wish you all the best, and I know I will be checking here often with the hopes of seeing some good news. NRFD - You're a great bunch of guys, well versed in what you do, and I couldn't ask for a better group of people when it comes to having my back on EMS calls when I'm working Transcare!

Edited by x648eng119

I will state that a strong brotherhood will over come whatever is thrown at it. I believe that our union has and will continue to show that we are united. When final word comes from the President we will post it. Thank you to all locals who supported us in our time of need. L273 will be there as always for you!

Good for you guys I wish I coulda made it down to the rally today but I was working, best of luck