Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Darien, CT Sends Aerialscope to Seagrave for Rechassis and Refurb

58 posts in this topic

New Pictures added to the photo page. I should have a ton of photos to add after our trip to the factory in a few weeks.

Jan 31 Photos

Spooky seeing it elevated without the bucket being level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Seagrave using the same mechanical pendulum or a newer sensor to control the bucket leveling system?

From the pics of the Mack that was going out, it still looked to be in great condition. Why did they choose to replace this rig? Mechanical problems maybe?

From the pics of the Mack that was going out, it still looked to be in great condition. Why did they choose to replace this rig? Mechanical problems maybe?

Age, the Mack was 40 years old (1971 vintage). It didn't meet the standards now required for apparatus, like having an open canopy cab for instance. The engine was more than likely "tired", they needed more compartment space, ect. What is nice though is that the Aerialscope booms are basically a crane and when re-furbished, they are like brand new.

What a shame. I love those Mack TLs and Engines. One of the best rigs ever. There arent too many out there anymore. I do see one that currently sits in a lot in Yonkers with some other spares.

we are starting to explore our possibilities in Dobbs Ferry , our 1991 Mack with Ariel scope is due to be replaced and because of the inherited possibilities of metal fatigue due to its age the decision was made to go new. its a fine line when you think that in 20 years the metal on the Ct rig will be 60 years old.

Does anyone have more information about this being the first Aerialscope in CT when Darien FD took delivery in 1971?

Quick update, we will be traveling out to Seagrave on the 25th for our final inspection. I should have some new pictures for you guys after that.

@rbushjr, I can look around at the FD, I believe we have some documentation on that.

@dillondotcom, Izzy is correct, the old chassis and engine were showing their age. While it's still a great truck it's getting harder and more expensive to fix every year.

@antiquefirelt, Seagrave reused only the metal sections, bucket and pistons from the old aerial. All sensors and controls are new.

Edited by F1racer

When Darien refurbished this unit in the 90's they opted to leave the standard transmission it in which left it behind on most calls... hence it looking like new. This cost very close to a million dollars to refurb this year! There are some bridge height restrictions and weight requirements that Darien had to meet, which I think was a factor in this decision. Was this "money well spent" considering there are two other aerials in town (one 75' Mack CF with RK aerial and a 100' midmount Sutphen) and a total of 14 pieces for a 5 square mile town?

Does anyone have more information about this being the first Aerialscope in CT when Darien FD took delivery in 1971?

I beleive it was the first in the state but don't hold me to that. I'm not sure what year Hartford's old scope was. I know Vernon FD came out of Brooklyn originally purchased in 1972, which then became Tower 116 in Scotland and unfortunately was destroyed in an MVA about 2 years ago. Hazardville FD in Enfield and Manchester 8th Utilites FD both had 1978 rigs (Hazardville's is now serving West Stafford). I know East Hartford operated one also but I don't remember what year that was.

who knows what the future holds for the old Mack!

post-16000-0-39110100-1302566094.jpg

who knows what the future holds for the old Mack!

Where is this?

Where is this?

Currently the old Mack is at the Darien town garage. Also here is another picture of the new truck. Things are almost complete.

post-6553-0-87854000-1302626662.jpg

FF398 and sfrd18 like this

jason that looks like the old truck a little from the side, great job by the committee once again, look foward to seeing her in person soon. i might be back that way later this summer or fall. once again great job by the committee with this truck. who is doing the lettering?

Tommy

(Shadow)

P.S when i am there you think we could take her for a spin?

New pictures are posted on darienfire.org

@Izz&Bob: The legend is that this was the 1st in Connecticut, the 1st anywhere with bucket breathing air, and the 2nd 'scope in New England. That's the legend, anyway.

@norestriction: We did a fair amount of research on factors with regard to metal fatigue: With Seagrave and other experts. Provided we didn't ever drop it into a fire, drive it into a wall, or let it corrode, there is no risk of fatigue. The inspections were clean. The only damage was very superficial on one of the flies, from an old dislodged wear pad, which was insignificant. Obviously, you can't rule this out with all old booms, but being the original owners, knowing the equipment's history, and the quiet nature of its 40 year life, it's a good candidate for re-use.

@gotta: The height restrictions are pretty well in-hand. The old truck actually didn't fit under our lowest underpass after the rear-end was overhauled. The new one might, but it will be really close. As for being money well spent, a truck this capable, versatile and safe; protecting property as valuable as we have to, is worth a lot more than what we're laying out. For me personally, it was not an easy decision to make. With the committee, this option was the subject of a ton of scrutiny. The end result should be extraordinary.

@shadow: Make sure you let us know when you're back in town!

Edited by umfd-330
Alpinerunner likes this

Currently the old Mack is at the Darien town garage. Also here is another picture of the new truck. Things are almost complete.

Nice!

ok Joe i will like i said you and everyone did a great job like the engines and the rescue she will serve the town well

It looks great! Honestly I am not sure I like the single axle refurb on the aerialscopes. I think the tandem axle version looks more natural.

Edited by osufire90

It looks great! Honestly I am not sure I like the single axle refurb on the aerialscopes. I think the tandem axle version looks more natural.

From a user standpoint, that seems like an excessive amount of body behind the rear wheels that creates some major "tailslap". This is a common affliction of MM towers, though not generally present with 75 footers. For all they get right, E-One's 95' MM tower has a huge tailslap. Not a knock on the Scope, merely an observation.

Back from final inspection and the truck is looking great. It should be leaving the factory some time late next week. We should see it in the firehouse by the end of May.

Here are a few videos from our trip,

-Jason

Will it show up at the mamaroneck parade this year???

Wow is all I can say! I can't wait to see it in person!

I had a good look a Tower Ladder 43 yesterday. Great job Darien. Truck looks fantastic and given the wheel base will still be able to make it almost anywhere in town. Good luck with a fantastic truck.