Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy98988

Deadliest Catch Captain Phil Harris Dies

21 posts in this topic

Not the sort of finale we had hoped for.

Phil Harris, the salty skipper of the Cornelia Marie on Discovery's Deadliest Catch, has died.

The deep-sea fisherman suffered a stroke on Jan. 30 and, although both his immediate and TV families were clinging to small signs of a recovery, he ultimately succumbed to the trauma.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad," Harris' sons, Jake and Josh, said in a statement. "Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

My link

R.I.P. Captain Phil. Always one of my favorites on the show.

Damn...that sucks. Out of all the Captains I thought Phil was one that if I were to do that, I'd want to be on his boat.

R.I.P. Phil.

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,

To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967).

(English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

Thought it fitting...... R.I.P. Captian Phil

What terrible and sad news. By far my favorite captain. I hope his sons and his family find the strength to overcome this. R.I.P. Phil

One of my favorite shows since it first aired.

What a shame. He was a good captain.

RIP, Phil. :(

Edited by tunaFish

Rest in Peace Captain Phil! Definitely one of the best Captains and best personalities on that show.

What a shame for sure. He was truly a salty fisherman. He was so into what he did and always willing to push the limits of himself, his boat and his crew. He was one of the best personalities on the show hands down.

May he rest in peace.

I too hope that his sons can find peace and continue the Harris legacy.

Capt Phil was one tough "stubborn" son of a gun. Didn't he go down a few seasons back with a serious illness that put him in the hospital, because he fell ill while on his ship (coughing up blood, etc). Maybe that was a warning from God that he should have listen to, but given his tough/stubborn attitude, he could not live life without being on "his ship". Well, I guess all of those countless nights without sleep, the Thousands of Cartons of Cigaretts Smoked and the Gallons of Coffee drank just caught up with him.

I have a relative who is a Captain in the Coast Guard, based out of Kodiak, Alaska, who tells me that it is truly amazing what these Crab Fisherman go thru each and every Crab Season and the conditions to which they face, allot of which is NEVER shown on TV (too graphic). The life of the Crab Fisherman is EVERYTHING to those who work on these ships.

RIP Phil one of my favorite captains

Edited by nhfd241

Capt Phil was one tough "stubborn" son of a gun. Didn't he go down a few seasons back with a serious illness that put him in the hospital, because he fell ill while on his ship (coughing up blood, etc). Maybe that was a warning from God that he should have listen to, but given his tough/stubborn attitude, he could not live life without being on "his ship". Well, I guess all of those countless nights without sleep, the Thousands of Cartons of Cigaretts Smoked and the Gallons of Coffee drank just caught up with him.

He threw a blood clot/embolis that passed through his heart and settled into his lung. That's when he started coughing up blood. With his smoking, sleep deprevation and not eating right I'm surprised he lasted this much longer...

Damn shame this happened, he was a good guy to watch and he was tough as nails. Rest in Peace.

Rest in Peace Capt. Phil You were a great Capt. and a great father to your boys also. They should be proud to have you as a Dad.

He threw a blood clot/embolis that passed through his heart and settled into his lung. That's when he started coughing up blood. With his smoking, sleep deprevation and not eating right I'm surprised he lasted this much longer...

Agreed. A shame since some of his lifestyle habits may have contributed to an early demise.

I hope there will be a fitting tribute for Capt. Harris on the show and also up in Dutch Harbor.

RIP Capt.