Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

A day at the Rock

28 posts in this topic

In November of last year, myself and FFFORD were invited to go to the FDNY Academy for a day to see what the Rock was like. Needless to say, we thoroughly enjoyed ourself. It was an honor to have been there. Special thanks to Chief Geraghty for being our host and to everyone there for their hospitality.

post-938-126667992594.jpg

post-938-126667993238.jpg

post-938-126667999104.jpg

post-938-126668000278.jpg

post-938-126668001496.jpg

post-938-126668002465.jpg

post-938-126668005365.jpg

post-938-126668006416.jpg

Last set, I promise

post-938-126668140291.jpg

post-938-12666814173.jpg

Are there any brothers here who can explain what this is for?

post-938-126668142723.jpg

Are there any brothers here who can explain what this is for?

post-938-126668142723.jpg

Looks like it would/could be used to run hoses/ropes over a surface to prevent them from contacting it and damaging them (i.e. a 90* angle/edge), or to just get them up off of the ground.

Just my thought...

Looks like it would/could be used to run hoses/ropes over a surface to prevent them from contacting it and damaging them (i.e. a 90* angle/edge), or to just get them up off of the ground.

Just my thought...

They have a cut-out on the rim. The rim is placed around a car tire so the line doesn't get caught up when you're stretching around a car.

M' Ave likes this

Excellent photo essay. The FDNY sure has developed an amazing series of realistic training scenarios.

"Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

Thanks for sharing that.

thanks for posting Andrew. that was a fun day. I want to thank Chief Gheraty again for showing us around. I live next to his daughter at school and she set me up with him. he was very kind to us and i cannot thank him enough for taking time from his day to show us the facility. sorry andrew is just getting these photos up now! :P kidding andrew. i made the entanglement picture! thanks bud. but "the rock" really is an amazing facility, it was awesome to get to see all of it.

Nice pics. Do you get to try the driving simulator? or at least catch a glimpse?

Nice pics. Do you get to try the driving simulator? or at least catch a glimpse?

No unfortunately we didn't get to see it.

Also one rig that I wish i got to grab a shot of was an old engine that the shops converted into a mobile bailout simulator.

Nice job Andrew. Looks just a little bigger than what you guys have down by the train station... :D

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Sounds like you guys had a great day and awesome experience.

These pics make me want to kick myself in the a** for screwing up on the agility a few years back :angry: :(

pic 3 post 3 did you blackout the fdny lettering on the decon unit on purpose or was it like that???

Thanks Todd! Definately a lot bigger and better than our spot down by the river.

Anesti, the lettering was already blacked out like that. I imagine it was deemed surplus and was going to be put out to auction.

Thanks Todd! Definately a lot bigger and better than our spot down by the river.

Anesti, the lettering was already blacked out like that. I imagine it was deemed surplus and was going to be put out to auction.

ahh ok seems like something out of paintshop or something dosent look real, but anyway intresting pics, seen the rock only once on a amtrak rdige passing the hells gate bridge.

What does the CTS on the front of the rig stand for? 4 picture down in the second set. Thank You

It means that its assigned to the Bureau of Training, which is on the door where the numbers usually are, I know you cant make it out well. I'm going to take a stab at it though, and say that CTS is Cadet Training School? I'm sure there are some brothers here who can confirm or correct me on that.

It means that its assigned to the Bureau of Training, which is on the door where the numbers usually are, I know you cant make it out well. I'm going to take a stab at it though, and say that CTS is Cadet Training School? I'm sure there are some brothers here who can confirm or correct me on that.

cts= chauffeur training school

What does the CTS on the front of the rig stand for? 4 picture down in the second set. Thank You

Chauffeur Training School

cts= chauffeur training school

Thanks. I thought it stood for "Cancel The Squad." :P

CTS= Chauffuer Training School, these rigs are used to train Chauffeurs at school they do not get assigned for field use. This is the first Seagrave Marauder Pumpers received, this was used to train the units that received these new units. The Newest Tower Ladders are coming in and the first is also marked CTS. It will be used for training chauffeurs and units that receive this type apparatus.

efdcapt115 likes this

"CTS" on the rigs stands for "Chauffer Training School". These are rigs that are used to train firefighters to be engine company chauffers or ladder company chauffers. The classes are about 80 hours long and include EVOC. Guys are generally "company" trained prior to going to CTS but once they graduate, they can start getting the extra "chauffer" pay when they drive on a tour.

Chauffeur Training School

Man, I would love to have a training facility like that at our disposal!

I like the statue, reminds me of CFD320... ;)