Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psyanide

Video of detroit's ladder struck by Amtrak

11 posts in this topic

You've all heard of the Detroit ladder getting struck by the Amtrak train a couple weeks back. Here are some videos relating to it.

Video from the train's perspective:

http://www.break.com/index/detroit-fire-truck-hit-by-train.html

Video of aftermath from a chopper:

http://statter911.com/2010/03/01/breaking-news-detroit-tv-station-reports-fire-truck-hit-by-amtrak-train/

Oswegowind likes this

Train driver didn't see the ( keep back 200 ft ) sign.

Train driver didn't see the ( keep back 200 ft ) sign.

Guess not!

That locomotive did not even shake when it hit that ladder...... I bet the engineer did though.

Train 1 - Ladder 0.

Stay Clear of the tracks unless you are sure you are absolutely sure you can get completely across them. That is a fundamental rule for Car's, trucks, bicycles, anything.

I wonder what the circumstances were that got him there in the first place ?

They were called to wash down a fuel leak from an mva. Parking on the tracks was just the convenient place to park, at least it was until the train rolled up.

In these type of situations the engineer dumps the train, dives to the floor of the cab and prays that the train doesn't derail. I'm not sure of the speed for that section of track, but most of the country outside the NEC is 79mph. In fact there is a stretch in Michigan where the speed limit is 90mph.

I hope the engineer is ok mentally because incidents like this is very stressful on them.

They were called to wash down a fuel leak from an mva. Parking on the tracks was just the convenient place to park, at least it was until the train rolled up.

And washing down fuel has been illegal for 20 years. The fines start at $10,000 cheap compared to what this one is going to cost.

And washing down fuel has been illegal for 20 years. The fines start at $10,000 cheap compared to what this one is going to cost.

You do once and a while hear a dispatch for a wash down.

I cannot begin to imagine any reason why someone would

position a fire apparatus, police car, ambulance, or any vehicle

across railroad tracks.

Risk Vs. Benefit?

How would you justify this?