Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

Today's Photos

19 posts in this topic

Awesome shots Joe!

Great Shots!!! Got Any More???

Thomas

I may be showing my ignorance, but can anyone explain why each of these new engines has four lengths of hard suction? We are talking about NY City, and by the engine numbers, these units are assigned to Manhattan and/or the Bronx, not some outpost in the far reaches of Jamaica Bay. Why would they need/use four lengths?

TAPSJ likes this

I may be showing my ignorance, but can anyone explain why each of these new engines has four lengths of hard suction? We are talking about NY City, and by the engine numbers, these units are assigned to Manhattan and/or the Bronx, not some outpost in the far reaches of Jamaica Bay. Why would they need/use four lengths?

The four lengths are for disaster preparedness and drafting in the event of a major water main failure; it stems from 9/11 when water mains in lower Manhattan failed, and water had to be supplied several blocks from the river by fireboats, engine, and satellite companies. At 2000 gpm a piece each of the new engines reduces dependency on the fireboats and satellites in such situations.

fireguy43 and x635 like this

The four lengths are for disaster preparedness and drafting in the event of a major water main failure; it stems from 9/11 when water mains in lower Manhattan failed, and water had to be supplied several blocks from the river by fireboats, engine, and satellite companies. At 2000 gpm a piece each of the new engines reduces dependency on the fireboats and satellites in such situations.

I may be wrong, but the bottom length doesn't appear to be 6" hard suction. It looks like 4 1/2" or 5" with female connections on both ends. My guess is this is for the ECC to steamer a hydrant. The three upper lengths look like 6" hard suction, one of which already has a barrel strainer on it.

Good pics JJP!

I may be wrong, but the bottom length doesn't appear to be 6" hard suction. It looks like 4 1/2" or 5" with female connections on both ends. My guess is this is for the ECC to steamer a hydrant. The three upper lengths look like 6" hard suction, one of which already has a barrel strainer on it.

Good pics JJP!

Flexible hard suction.

FDNY - Brooklyn 2nd Alarm - Bushwick - 02/19/2010 - "FirstOnScenePhotos by Lou Minutoli"

Storage issues aside, it makes you wonder why it isn't more common outside of the city.

While I was at 58/26 last night Engine 35 stopped by.

post-193-127038984633.jpg

x635 and TAPSJ like this

Nice pictures Joe, Thanks for posting them.

Nice shots, Joe. Thanks for sharing.

I can understand one length, two max., but four?

You have to draft from 2 inlets inorder to pump the capacity of a 2000 gpm pump.

You have to draft from 2 inlets inorder to pump the capacity of a 2000 gpm pump.

My bad, you're right. Thanks for the info

the top 2 are for drafting purposes only bottom one is soft suctions and they second one is hard suction

Ok to clear this up for those who do not have this pumper, the bottom soft suction is for Hydrant use only, it is larger in diameter than the standard hydrant connection due to the 2000 gpm capacity. The other 3 are all 6" connections 2 flexi and 1 hard, on the Officers side of this apparatus is a 6" draft only hook up. As stated these are in case of another attack and mains are knocked out we can draft from whatever source we can find. The pumpers are assigned throughout the FDNY not to a specific area. There is only one draft only connection on this pumper.

Edited by Mac8146
x635 likes this

Ok to clear this up for those who do not have this pumper, the bottom soft suction is for Hydrant use only, it is larger in diameter than the standard hydrant connection due to the 2000 gpm capacity. The other 3 are all 6" connections 2 flexi and 1 hard, on the Officers side of this apparatus is a 6" draft only hook up. As stated these are in case of another attack and mains are knocked out we can draft from whatever source we can find. The pumpers are assigned throughout the FDNY not to a specific area. There is only one draft only connection on this pumper.

Thank you "Mac8146". I was wondering about this set up too. Now it all makes sense. Actually a Great set up as I see it. Thanks.

ha, some grateful dead fans out there in irvington fd?

ha, some grateful dead fans out there in irvington fd?

hopefully.....