Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Paramedic enters burning home in Mount Kisco to help residents escape

38 posts in this topic

Paramedic enters burning home in Mount Kisco to help residents escape

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100416/NEWS02/304160035/Paramedic-enters-burning-home-in-Mount-Kisco-to-help-residents-escape]

MOUNT KISCO — Residents of a multi-family house that caught fire Thursday night have a paramedic to thank for breaking into the smoking structure and warning them that their lives were in danger.

The fire on Maple Avenue displaced four families.

Westchester EMS Paramedic Jeff Slotoroff woke one of the residents from sleep and told him to get out of the house. Two others in the house who were unaware of the fire got out safely after he found them behind a locked door and told them to get out, a supervisor said.

Edited by WAS967

Good stuff Thats what I'm talking about God Bless this guy screw that scene safety crap anyone with half brain half a heart and half a conscience wouldn't just stand there and watch people burn up in a building we'd do something about it right then and there even if it means running right in

That's awesome, Paramedic Slotoroff is also a Lt. with YHFD and knew the risks associated with entering that environment. He is a great guy who from personal and professional experience is a great Paramedic and Fireman. He made a judgment call which probably saved the lives of those people. Hopefully this doesn't become a discussion about someone doing someone else s job because at the end of the day we're all here to help people, and he did just that.

"Scene safety crap"? Scene safety and some situational awareness will save not only your life but the lives of your co-workers and the public. The paramedic in this circumstance undoubtedly made the right choice. He also has training and experience to help him weigh the pros and cons of a situation, and recognize "scene safety" issues.

helicopper likes this

Good stuff Thats what I'm talking about God Bless this guy screw that scene safety crap anyone with half brain half a heart and half a conscience wouldn't just stand there and watch people burn up in a building we'd do something about it right then and there even if it means running right in

You are no good to your patient if you become a patient yourself. Clearly, this individual knew how to evaluate the risk involved and was able to bring a good resolution to this situation. Kudos to him.

helicopper likes this

That's awesome, Paramedic Slotoroff is also a Lt. with YHFD and knew the risks associated with entering that environment. He is a great guy who from personal and professional experience is a great Paramedic and Fireman. He made a judgment call which probably saved the lives of those people. Hopefully this doesn't become a discussion about someone doing someone else s job because at the end of the day we're all here to help people, and he did just that.

youre absolutely right we are here to help and YHFD or no YHFD experience the man did the right thing

"Scene safety crap"? Scene safety and some situational awareness will save not only your life but the lives of your co-workers and the public. The paramedic in this circumstance undoubtedly made the right choice. He also has training and experience to help him weigh the pros and cons of a situation, and recognize "scene safety" issues.

You are no good to your patient if you become a patient yourself. Clearly, this individual knew how to evaluate the risk involved and was able to bring a good resolution to this situation. Kudos to him.

It seems to me his potential sacrifice and heroic actions are sorta being downplayed somewhat like "oh, well he was a firefighter no big deal what he did". Any fireman entering a fire without safety gear ie bunker gear oygen helmet etc takes on a huge risk a fireman is only as good as his tools if they're in working order etc. So this man running into a fire like that is just like any of us running into a fire even with all that FD experience he had no equipment to protect himself or fight the fire and no squad/team to back him up he went in solo. So yea he evaluated the risk it was a huge risk which could have potentially killed him like it would if any of us attempted such a stunt and with total disregard for his own life he ran in to save others which in my book is huge and this guy deserves the presidential medal of freedom from Obama himself.

Edited by masterofmetal85

I wouldn't expect anything less.... good job Moose!

Good job Moose

Risk a lot to save a lot, risk little to save little. It sounds like he made the right move. What would people be saying if he didn't make the move and people were killed? My only question is did the paramedic notify anyone via radio or cellphone that he was on scene, had a fire, and was making a search? I did not read the whole article.

It seems to me his potential sacrifice and heroic actions are sorta being downplayed somewhat like "oh, well he was a firefighter no big deal what he did". Any fireman entering a fire without safety gear ie bunker gear oygen helmet etc takes on a huge risk a fireman is only as good as his tools if they're in working order etc. So this man running into a fire like that is just like any of us running into a fire even with all that FD experience he had no equipment to protect himself or fight the fire and no squad/team to back him up he went in solo. So yea he evaluated the risk it was a huge risk which could have potentially killed him like it would if any of us attempted such a stunt and with total disregard for his own life he ran in to save others which in my book is huge and this guy deserves the presidential medal of freedom from Obama himself.

I have read your reply, sorry i am going to disagree on a couple of points. A firefighter isnt as good as the tools he has on his back or in his hands it is the tool on his shoulders. This member who did this act of entering the structure, I would hope, as a firefighter, used all his training in evaluating the situation, judged the risk vs benefit, and did what his firefighting background allowed him to do. Turnout gear doesnt make you a firefighter, it is whats inside that makes you a firefighter. This member of the fire service / ems did a hell of a job. And thats what separates us from the rest of the world.

GOOD JOB AND THANK YOU FOR BRINGING A POSITIVE STORY ABOUT EMERGENCY SERVICES.

Risk a lot to save a lot, risk little to save little. It sounds like he made the right move. What would people be saying if he didn't make the move and people were killed? My only question is did the paramedic notify anyone via radio or cellphone that he was on scene, had a fire, and was making a search? I did not read the whole article.

Timmy,

He was on the radio giving a size up while it was being dispatched. I was in the car and heard the whole thing. If I remember right he reported "Fire showing on the B (or C, can't remember) side, #1 and 2 floors.

You clearly do not understand what is really involved in firefighting

SRS131EMTFF likes this

EXCELLENT JOB!

It's hard to tell what you're saying here, but I think you are generally supporting the medics actions as going above and beyond typical duties. I'd agree it should not be downplayed as no big deal as any firefighter would do the same. We could only hope that was true while knowing sadly far fewer would have acted so selflessly. I think maybe your wording sounded almost over the top and sarcastic.

So if you are actually supporting this mans actions I'd suggest the following: I would not call what this firefighter did a "stunt" and I would say that with the training and knowledge others here attribute to this man, I'd say that it was not "total disregard for his own life", but a calculated risk/benefit analysis requiring quick actions with significantly increased risks to his personal safety to save another's life .

And not to take anything away from this selfless act but a Presidential Medal of Freedom? I wouldn't want anything from a man who won the Nobel Prize for not being George W. Bush. I think the respect and praise of his Brother's is far more fitting. maybe a nod at the Firehouse Magazine Heroism Awards?

SageVigiles likes this

Great Job Moose way to go!

It's hard to tell what you're saying here, but I think you are generally supporting the medics actions as going above and beyond typical duties. I'd agree it should not be downplayed as no big deal as any firefighter would do the same. We could only hope that was true while knowing sadly far fewer would have acted so selflessly. I think maybe your wording sounded almost over the top and sarcastic.

So if you are actually supporting this mans actions I'd suggest the following: I would not call what this firefighter did a "stunt" and I would say that with the training and knowledge others here attribute to this man, I'd say that it was not "total disregard for his own life", but a calculated risk/benefit analysis requiring quick actions with significantly increased risks to his personal safety to save another's life .

And not to take anything away from this selfless act but a Presidential Medal of Freedom? I wouldn't want anything from a man who won the Nobel Prize for not being George W. Bush. I think the respect and praise of his Brother's is far more fitting. maybe a nod at the Firehouse Magazine Heroism Awards?

I hear what you're saying stunt wasn't the best choice of words but it was sort of a disregard for his safety because you're right far fewer would have done the same but I'm sure the man had tons of hours of training and firefighting knowledge.

But then again attacking a fire with a full battalion engine ladder etc suited up going in with a couple of dozen other firefighters and attacking the fire on all ends VS going in all alone with nothing except an ems shirt tech pants and a stethoscope around your neck HUGE difference

I can make the same calculated risk vs benefit and have no fire experience risk: run into a burning building with no protection and most likely die from the dangers that I face while in there benefit: save the lives of those inside now obviously that was a big enough benefit for the medic to run inside knowing full the dangers of going at it solo my point is there is a much lesser risk if he would be working the fire in full gear with a full company behind him as opposed to what he did but still a risk none the less that should never be ignored or taken away from firefighters worldwide that make such a huge sacrifice everyday when they suit up and go into a burning building, but I personally feel this man went above and beyond that and yes he saved lives and for that he deserves national recognition whatever it is the presidential medal of freedom, some kind of national fire award whatever it may be. ( btw I was in no way shape or form endorsing Obama just saying the president should give this gentleman a medal)

It sounds like He made some decisions base on his training and felt he could make a positive outcome. Good Job Medic

You clearly do not understand what is really involved in firefighting

you're right I don't I'm a medic not a firefighter but they get my upmost gratitude respect and admiration as do police officers and especially our armed forces for putting them selves on the line day after day for luxuries we take for granted.

I have read your reply, sorry i am going to disagree on a couple of points. A firefighter isnt as good as the tools he has on his back or in his hands it is the tool on his shoulders. This member who did this act of entering the structure, I would hope, as a firefighter, used all his training in evaluating the situation, judged the risk vs benefit, and did what his firefighting background allowed him to do. Turnout gear doesnt make you a firefighter, it is whats inside that makes you a firefighter. This member of the fire service / ems did a hell of a job. And thats what separates us from the rest of the world.

GOOD JOB AND THANK YOU FOR BRINGING A POSITIVE STORY ABOUT EMERGENCY SERVICES.

you're right he did have his training but he didn't have an axe or a hose to put out the fire he probably only had his stethoscope on him and he went in using the ole' noogin and most likely didn't panic in there because he's used to being inside burning buildings but he could have very easily been overcome by smoke inhalation or whatever other hazard going on in there but apparently that didn't matter enough to him what mattered obviously was to get those people out which like I said before is and most definitely should separate him from your average joe.

Remember585 likes this

I can make the same calculated risk vs benefit and have no fire experience risk: run into a burning building with no protection and most likely die from the dangers that I face while in there benefit: save the lives of those inside

I'd say if you did he same thing with no fire training or experience, you'd not be taking a calculated risk, but just a risk. You cannot know enough of the variables if you've not had prior training and experience. While you may "calculate" the risks, your math would be far further off than someone who understands the variables better.It may be no less a selfless act, possibly more as you would have nothing but the pure balance of your life for another. Understanding smoke travel, speed, velocity, intensity, smells, sounds, building construction and having seen these situations before allows a trained firefighter far greater chances of successfully analyzing the risk/benefits vs. just "someone's in there". Edited by antiquefirelt

Lets also give kudos, respect and acknowledgment for the officer that was the second on scene whom according to the article ran back in with the medic to continue the search, I don't want to speculate but this officer unlike the medic might not have had the same firefighting experience and knowledge so hats off to both of them for the heroic actions.

I'd say if you did he same thing with no fire training or experience, you'd not be taking a calculated risk, but just a risk. You cannot know enough of the variables if you've not had prior training and experience. While you may "calculate" the risks, your math would be far further off than someone who understands the variables better.

True I can't imagine what its like to be in a burning building and I'm sure no one can unless they've been there done that I'm sure if I saw people stuck in a building on fire I'd probably run that's natural instinct being a healthcare provider wanting to always help people but once I got in who knows how I'd react or anyone who isn't a trained firefighter would react for that matter. Bottom line this guy is flat out a hero and he earned his seat in heaven and did his good deed not only for the day week month and year but probably his good deed for the rest of his life.

Great job Jeff....see you as 45-Medic in a few weeks....

If any one has ever been on a call with Jeff you know that this is exactly like him....

If any one has ever been on a call with Jeff you know that this is exactly like him....

Very well put... Good job Moose

The article doesn't mention that the occupants, the paramedic or the police officer required medical treatment. This also would indicate that conditions were not yet severe where the occupants were located as well as where the paramedic and the police officer operated. If anyone was exposed to heavy smoke and / or high heat, they would undoubtedly have required treatment for smoke inhalation at the very least. Thankfully, the medic spotted the fire before it had reached a point where it could have trapped the occupants. I'm glad that nobody was injured.

Great Job !