rpbravest29fd

FDNY New Tractor-Drawn Aerial

12 posts in this topic

I'm seeing rumors on other boards about a new FDNY Tractor-Drawn aerial that was ordered. Anybody have any info?

JosephDep likes this

It's probably to replace 34 Truck. They have the oldest frontline tiller in service.(Either a 99 or 2000)

JosephDep likes this

It's probably to replace 34 Truck. They have the oldest frontline tiller in service.(Either a 99 or 2000)

This would be Ladder 34 now.

post-1209-12723051471.jpg

JosephDep likes this

So many more trucks should be tillers......it's amazing who doesn't have one and the streets they have to deal with.

JosephDep likes this

So many more trucks should be tillers......it's amazing who doesn't have one and the streets they have to deal with.

I agree 100 % with you in the last 10 years they did away with 4 tillers. And many more just before that....What a shame

JosephDep likes this

A few questions, I'd appreciate some help. I'm looking for answers regarding the FDNY, put anyones input is appreciated.

Who is responsible for setting up the tiller once it arrives on scene? the operator of the tractor or the operator steering the trailer end, or both?

Once the stick is ready, does the operator of the trailer end go to work with the crew or stay at the truck and assist the other operator?

Edited by gpdexplorer

In my vol. fire company, the driver of the tractor is responsible for aerial operations. The way that we normally work it is that the tillerman is responsible for assisting the operator put the aerial into operations (putting down the jacks, chocking the wheels, etc). Once the ladder is in operation, the tillerman is usually the first member up the aerial for roof operations, vent, etc. I'm not sure how FDNY operates but I am assuming its somewhat similar to us.

A few questions, I'd appreciate some help. I'm looking for answers regarding the FDNY, put anyones input is appreciated.

Who is responsible for setting up the tiller once it arrives on scene? the operator of the tractor or the operator steering the trailer end, or both?

Once the stick is ready, does the operator of the trailer end go to work with the crew or stay at the truck and assist the other operator?

Very little changes with a tiller vs. a rear mount. The tillerman is the O/V, so once on the scene of a job, he goes to work as the O/V would in any company. The chauffeur will set up the aerial the same way he would in a rear mount. There's really not much too it. Hit the parking break, put down both tormentors and raise the stick. I've only worked in a tiller a handful of times as a detail, but for operating purpose (other than driving) they act the same as a rearmount. Once the ladder is in position it's available for the roofman to take up, if he hasn't found an adjoining building that is. The chauffeur is also now free to assist with ground ladders in the front of the building, or assist the O/V if he's made it to the rear. The chauffeur becomes the utility man, just as he would in any other stick. Now, TL's are a whole different animal...

Edited by M' Ave
FF398, gpdexplorer and BFD1054 like this

Very little changes with a tiller vs. a rear mount. The tillerman is the O/V, so once on the scene of a job, he goes to work as the O/V would in any company. The chauffeur will set up the aerial the same way he would in a rear mount. There's really not much too it. Hit the parking break, put down both tormentors and raise the stick. I've only worked in a tiller a handful of times as a detail, but for operating purpose (other than driving) they act the same as a rearmount. Once the ladder is in position it's available for the roofman to take up, if he hasn't found an adjoining building that is. The chauffeur is also now free to assist with ground ladders in the front of the building, or assist the O/V if he's made it to the rear. The chauffeur becomes the utility man, just as he would in any other stick. Now, TL's are a whole different animal...

That's kinda what I thought, I was just trying to see if maybe the money crunchers were trying to get rid of the tillers to save manpower or what have you, but I couldn't see the manpower being different on a tiller from that of a straight stick.