Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Placard on Buildings - Truss Construction

12 posts in this topic

The Town of Haverstraw sign is okay but in my opinion the standard that the New York State Fire Code adopted is alot better, truss signage. Not only does it label for trusses but it also identifies where they are in the building, roof of floor, and it also make it idiot proof determining the construction type of the building.

post-6568-127334096921.gif

Oh, i thought that stood for Ireland ! lollaugh.gif

The Town of Haverstraw sign is okay but in my opinion the standard that the New York State Fire Code adopted is alot better, truss signage. Not only does it label for trusses but it also identifies where they are in the building, roof of floor, and it also make it idiot proof determining the construction type of the building.

I thought it was the logo for this excellent company:

Safe IR

Trusses keep getting a bad rap. The manufacturers, transporters, and building trades go to great lengths to insure their structural integrity.

post-1066-127336682196.jpg

BEWARE THE TRUSS!

-Frank Branigan

x129K likes this

hey dashield;

that idiot here, the red circle you have is that their logo you speak of ??? I looked through the attached link and was a bit confused, and unsure.... I for one like the idea of the actual " Haverstraw logo " everyone knows what that is suggesting, and warns me that the structure in question has trusses in them.... so I would figure its every where.... floors and roof....

If i am not mistaken the New York State code is only for commercial buildings, and that there is no requirement for placards or warning signs on any residential buildings. Which in my opinion there should be especially with all those townhouses and types popping up.

hey dashield;

that idiot here, the red circle you have is that their logo you speak of ??? I looked through the attached link and was a bit confused, and unsure.... I for one like the idea of the actual " Haverstraw logo " everyone knows what that is suggesting, and warns me that the structure in question has trusses in them.... so I would figure its every where.... floors and roof....

I guess a more proper term would be "firefighter proof".... If you were not educated about the NYS truss signage I could understand where the Haverstraw sign might be easier to understand. I am assuming that the Haverstraw sign was developed before NYS adopted their truss signage law in 2007.

With five minutes of education on the NYS truss signage regulation, any firefighter should have absolutely no problem reading any sign. To go along with keeping everything "firefighter proof" by keeping everything standard, and following the NYS truss signage regulation, a firefighter from Long Island can be in Buffalo and see the same sign and know that it means the same exact thing.

The major problem I have with this regulation is that it is only applicable on new construction. Fortunately, after educating building owners why this signage is important many existing buildings also display truss signage.

The Town of Haverstraw sign is okay but in my opinion the standard that the New York State Fire Code adopted is alot better, Not only does it label for trusses but it also identifies where they are in the building, roof of floor, and it also make it idiot proof determining the construction type of the building.

I agree, and based on the law, new buildings have to put the state mandated sign on it.

I for one like the idea of the actual " Haverstraw logo " everyone knows what that is suggesting, and warns me that the structure in question has trusses in them.... so I would figure its every where.... floors and roof....

Is it a light weight wood truss or a heavy one (difference in the working time)?

Is is wood or metal bar joist?

Is this an Ordinary, wood frame or non combustible building?

Does this building have the potential for an under metal deck fire?

I suspect the have the Haverstraw sign was based on the local FD's concern for overhead trusses. You are assuming it covers all (I do not know if it covers floors). If you have a basement fire in a 2 or 3 story building with a roof truss, its not a big deal, but if the sloors are truss, 1 step into the building may be your last.

Any NYS firefighters that have not been trained in the truss sign system are putting themselves and others in extreme danger.

Knowledge of building construction is a critical and basic component of firefighter training. Too many firefighters lack this knowledge and what is worst, they do not understand how important understanding building construction is to firefighting.

The major problem I have with this regulation is that it is only applicable on new construction. Fortunately, after educating building owners why this signage is important many existing buildings also display truss signage.

I have began to see it on many existing buildings in my town. I was wondering if they had changed the law but I figured I would have heard about it.

We have had one on my firehouse for about 15 years now. The Town of Clarkstown requires all truss roof buildings to have it.