Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Public Officers Law?

21 posts in this topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but public employees (PD/FD/DPW ect.) have to live in New York State as a condition of employment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but public employees (PD/FD/DPW ect.) have to live in New York State as a condition of employment?

Only if the employeer requires it. NYS does not require local municipal employers to mandate this.

I believe that police officers may have to live in NY state. It may be an archane law but I think it is still out there.

It's a shame - an officer in Westchester County could live up on the Columbia County border, and can't live in Connecticut which is closer (in miles) and cheaper...

Yea pretty crazy. I think the FDNY rule is you can be one (maybe 2) boroughs outside the city, but not CT. So you can live over 2 hours away in Montauk, but not 45 mins away in CT.

My feeling is residency should not be a factor in hiring, simply take the best qualified candidate, regardless of where he/she chooses to live.

Bottom line, it's the employees problem to get to the job on time, even if it is a 2+ hour drive each way.

My feeling is residency should not be a factor in hiring, simply take the best qualified candidate, regardless of where he/she chooses to live.

Bottom line, it's the employees problem to get to the job on time, even if it is a 2+ hour drive each way.

What often happens is that a FD requests to use the residency list first because they want people who live in town (for whatever reason). When the new hiree gets a few bucks in his pocket and wants to buy a house, he finds he can't afford to buy in town. He then moves way far away where he keeps his taxes low by joining the volunteer FD.

He then brags to his paid pals about how many jobs he gets as a vol. He also brags to his vol buddies about his special training as a paid man.

Not pro or anti anything about paid/vol, but if you were a FD wouldn't you rather hire the smarter of the two?

efdcapt115 likes this

Yea pretty crazy. I think the FDNY rule is you can be one (maybe 2) boroughs outside the city, but not CT. So you can live over 2 hours away in Montauk, but not 45 mins away in CT.

You must live in either the five boroughs of New York City or in Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange, Nassau, or Suffolk County.

Do you have to be a New York City resident to be a NYC firefighter?

JBJ1202 likes this

Ultimately, many taxpayers feel that their tax dollars should remain as close to home as possible. They also cite "sharing the tax burden" as a reason public employees should live in town. Most do not appreciate the amount of time, training and education public safety personnel have today. They do not understand why we can't just hire some residents and make them firefighters, cops or EMT's. As that perception changes residency rules seem to relax and the "best person for the job" becomes the prevailing attitude.

What often happens is that a FD requests to use the residency list first because they want people who live in town (for whatever reason). When the new hiree gets a few bucks in his pocket and wants to buy a house, he finds he can't afford to buy in town. He then moves way far away where he keeps his taxes low by joining the volunteer FD.

He then brags to his paid pals about how many jobs he gets as a vol. He also brags to his vol buddies about his special training as a paid man.

Not pro or anti anything about paid/vol, but if you were a FD wouldn't you rather hire the smarter of the two?

I don't get it. But then again I haven't finished my coffee yet. Are you saying it's a bad thing to move out of town because you can't afford to live where you work? Or that cities shouldn't have a residency requirement?

The one point I can see for a residency requirement is for call backs.

I don't get it. But then again I haven't finished my coffee yet. Are you saying it's a bad thing to move out of town because you can't afford to live where you work? Or that cities shouldn't have a residency requirement?

The one point I can see for a residency requirement is for call backs.

I just said "That's what happens." The resident you hire turns out to be an out-of-towner.

what does this have anything to do with the residency requirements? What your employee does on his own time, is his own business, unless it causes a danger to his fellow employees (i.e. drug/alcohol abuse).

It was always my understanding but I could be wrong that The residency requirements were in place for recall purposes meaning that if the need arose for a full department recall, you could have your personel in to work in a reasonable amount of time.

With that being said... I can't say that I agree with the residency requirements, even for hiring purposes. I would rather see a non resident hired with a score of 100 rather than a yonkers resident with a score of 70 and believe me there is a difference in recruits between someone gets 100 and someone who gets a 70.

Like one of the above posters said, You can't live in CT which would allow you to be into work in 45 minutes but you can live on the east end of long island which would make it 2 plus hours to get in, it just doesn't make sense but then again in this crazy state, what does ?

efdcapt115 likes this

If an FDNY FF could afford to live in Montauk, then they'd probably have a helicopter to commute in, no? :P

My job (DPW) has a 30 minute "call-in" time, which is meant to get guys in quick during storms and such. However, there isnt much of an issue and its rarely enforced as we are a small shop and need all the help we can get regardless of commute time.

I now make the 2nd guy that lives in Orange County in my shop. If im called in during the middle of the night, it may take me a little more than 30 minutes to get into work, but my job understands.

If im called in during the middle of the night, it may take me a little more than 30 minutes to get into work, but my job understands.

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MICHEAALLL

BFD1054 likes this

If an FDNY FF could afford to live in Montauk, then they'd probably have a helicopter to commute in, no? :P

My job (DPW) has a 30 minute "call-in" time, which is meant to get guys in quick during storms and such. However, there isnt much of an issue and its rarely enforced as we are a small shop and need all the help we can get regardless of commute time.

I now make the 2nd guy that lives in Orange County in my shop. If im called in during the middle of the night, it may take me a little more than 30 minutes to get into work, but my job understands.

We should car pool, I can get there in waaaaay under 30 minutes. :lol:

We should car pool, I can get there in waaaaay under 30 minutes. :lol:

Hahahaha lol. Theres a couple factors to that equation, 1 is you are who you are and 2, you can avoid 9W/Storm King lol. But ill take ya up on the offer any day tour you work ;)

Edited by BFD1054

As per NYS Public Officers Law, firefighters are not considered public officers and therefore do not have to live within the state (unless mandated by their department)The law states that police officers must live in the county they work in or any contiguous county (county that touches) of the county they work in. This law was written in the 1800's to address emergency mobilizations (when everyone rode horses). Each municipality must apply to the state for an exemption to the rule allowing their officers to live further away. The law itself takes up about 1/2 a page. There are approx 52 pages of exemptions.

Prior to 9/11, the last recall for NYC Police or Fire was the Blackout in 1977. That was a 24 year gap, it does not happen very often.

Edited by 10512

As per NYS Public Officers Law, firefighters are not considered public officers and therefore do not have to live within the state (unless mandated by their department)The law states that police officers must live in the county they work in or any contiguous county (county that touches) of the county they work in. This law was written in the 1800's to address emergency mobilizations (when everyone rode horses). Each municipality must apply to the state for an exemption to the rule allowing their officers to live further away. The law itself takes up about 1/2 a page. There are approx 52 pages of exemptions.

Why doesn't that surprise me :P Wouldn't it make more sense to just repeal the law and remove those 53 pages? B)

With that being said... I can't say that I agree with the residency requirements, even for hiring purposes. I would rather see a non resident hired with a score of 100 rather than a yonkers resident with a score of 70 and believe me there is a difference in recruits between someone gets 100 and someone who gets a 70.

Like one of the above posters said, You can't live in CT which would allow you to be into work in 45 minutes but you can live on the east end of long island which would make it 2 plus hours to get in, it just doesn't make sense but then again in this crazy state, what does ?

Many Connecticut departments don't have residency requirements. You may get preference, a couple of points if you happen to be a resident. Some departments do have a limitation such as 30 road miles - bit of a problem if you live in LI!

Another area where Connecticut seems to be much more civilized ;)