Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

LOJACK

14 posts in this topic

Just wondering what agencies (if any) still have LOJACK receivers in their cars.

Thanks!

Just wondering what agencies (if any) still have LOJACK receivers in their cars.

Thanks!

Not ours.

Thanks!

Does the County P.D. have them ?????

Most agencies I have seen down here have it, at least in some of their cars. And I've heard LoJack or some other company was planning to upgrade the boxes to be GPS compatible with a more robust application on the MDT instead of the box.

Chris, can aviation track lojack?

We have a receiver in the old helicopter and are in the process of upgrading a different directional finder to include LOJACK for the new helicopter.

I ask because we've had two stolen vehicle recoveries this week but nobody on the ground seems to have them in the cars anymore. That makes pinpointing the location a little more challenging. B)

The County PD didn't install them in the latest round of cars.

Is there any reason not to install one? It seems like a pretty cost-effective way to cut down on auto theft without adding a significant burden to officers on the street.

I don't think that a LOJACK has any significant effect on the number or frequency of auto theft incidents, though it might help increase the recovery rate of stolen vehicles equipped with it, if activated in a timely fashion.

I've personally always questioned the cost/benefit of the device; will the comprehensive insurance premium reduction(s) offset the cost to install and maintain the unit?

I've personally always questioned the cost/benefit of the device; will the comprehensive insurance premium reduction(s) offset the cost to install and maintain the unit?

Yes it did.

And don't forget to figure in the aggravation factor.

It might not prevent the car or motorcycle from being stolen, but to have it recovered in hours or less is priceless.

Lojack is also commonly put in high price construction equipment from roadside light generators larger earth movers. Believe it or not these items are commonly stolen and shipped to other parts of the country or overseas. Lojack recievers may quite possibly be installed near shipping terminals.

Lojack is also commonly put in high price construction equipment from roadside light generators larger earth movers. Believe it or not these items are commonly stolen and shipped to other parts of the country or overseas. Lojack recievers may quite possibly be installed near shipping terminals.

Can also be found in laptop PC's

Chris, I'm pretty sure we still have them in our new radio cars. In my opinion they are still a valuable asset.

I remember years ago tracking a lojack hit fron north broadway and Roberts Avenue in Yonkers to Troy Lane in Yonkers and when we found it there was a County PD radio car that was doing an imound because he has recovered it a few minutes before... yes the vehicle was unoccupied.

I read about car thieves stealing autos and then leaving them outdoors for several days before returning to take it in the event it's Lojack equipted. This can work well for the car's owner as the PD or owners may recover the car before the perps return.

But it was reported that some car thieves park stolen autos in garages where there are Lojack dead spots. Also, in Yonkers and elsewhere, I believe very, very few radio cars have Lojack and because of it's four bunched antennas, it is not at all practical for unmarked/ undercover cars. But I still would recommend it if you can afford it despite some drawbacks like activating it if you are sleeping and your car is stolen 4AM in the morning and you report it hours later. By then, the car is in Hunts Point or on barge for overseas.

Onstar: Have been told by some cops it's hard to pinpoint stolen cars hits on it.

With all this Lojack, GPS stuff, it surprises me that more effort isn't placed into using it against organized car theft rings. I know there are bait vehicles out there in this county, but will not say more. The Feds and/or state PD should take the lead with funding from insurance companies.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital Center