Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Jersey City Crimson Tiller

24 posts in this topic

I think the only tiller in the city now is at Ladder 3.

Yeah, that would be my guess too. The current Ladder 3 Seagrave tiller is pretty old. I just saw the new tiller on Crimson's website awhile back and it looks pretty good. It looks to me like the FDJC might be going for a Chicago-style black over red cab paint scheme. Good luck to the FDJC with it!

Looks like it's going to be a nice rig. I'd rather have a set of irons under my feet in the crew cab than a ladder pipe if I was given the choice though ...

actually i think Ladder 3 has been shutdown since they took the last tiller out of service and manpower relocated. But yeah ladder 3 is the only tiller in jcfd

Edited by Anesti

Looks like a sharp Spartan/Crimson tiller is being built for Jersey City. Anyone know what company and apparatus this will replace?

http://www.crimson-fire.com/delivery.aspx?id=30424

good luck Mr Phelps...your mission, should you choose to accept it....

San Diego FD got one of the first TDAs that Crimson built...it's been out of service more than in service. Anaheim FD got 2, they are having some of the same problems as SDFD...I understand that it may be the specs, but as I understand most of the issues result from the build...

Looks like it's going to be a nice rig. I'd rather have a set of irons under my feet in the crew cab than a ladder pipe if I was given the choice though ...

:lol: Awesome.....

It's a nice looking rig. Seating for 10? If they have that kind of staff, good for them! Really though, how many guys ride? If it's 4 on the back-step, why waste space with 2 extra seats rather than space to store tools, or just have more room for comforts sake in the back. I'm sure Jersey City spends plenty of time in their rigs and space is at a premium on any piece of fire apparatus. I would think that those guys could find ample use for added storage.

It's a nice looking rig. Seating for 10? If they have that kind of staff, good for them! Really though, how many guys ride? If it's 4 on the back-step, why waste space with 2 extra seats rather than space to store tools, or just have more room for comforts sake in the back. I'm sure Jersey City spends plenty of time in their rigs and space is at a premium on any piece of fire apparatus. I would think that those guys could find ample use for added storage.

From the pics it looks like maximum seating on the rig is 9... Chauffeur, Officer, Tillerman, plus 4 pak seats and two theater seats in the back.

Even if they ran a 6 man truck (doubt its more than 4) there would only be three in the back so the theater seats are a bit unnecessary. The size of the cab though doesn't seem to be overbuilt. It looks like a standard sized Spartan so I'm not sure that there is any storage to be picked up. Depending on department policy you could have small cabinets to mount tools in where the theater seats are, but thats about all you'll pick up on this sized rig.

OOOOO!!! Its got a DETACHABLE LADDER PIPE!!!!!!!! :D ::::thumbs up::::

Nice looking rig thus far.

crew size on a ladder in Jersey city is 4 This will be depts 2nd crimson ladder piece their first is a rearmount 100 stick @ladder 11 i believe they have 3 pumpers from crimson comming also

Here's a photo of San Diego FD's Crimson TDA

SDFDT1-1-10-09.jpg

Not sure what ladder company it is, but, they are located at Summit and Jefferson in the Heights section (I couldn't see the number through google earth). I believe that is the only tiller left in JC.

Not sure what ladder company it is, but, they are located at Summit and Jefferson in the Heights section (I couldn't see the number through google earth). I believe that is the only tiller left in JC.

That's Ladder 3 Engine 7 Battalion 3 house up there on Summit ave very impressive firehouse with drive through bays I wonder if ladder 3 will be nicknamed "Rollin Thunder"III :D Edited by vodoly

That tiller is going to Ladder 3 and has been completed. It will be replacing a 1996 Seagrave tiller and will carry the 'Rolling Thunder' company name The other Crimson aerial in service is a 103' rear mount assigned to Ladder 11 'Hell Wagon'. There are 3 engines that are going to be built shortly that are going to be assigned to Engine 17 (same house as L11), Engine 6, and Engine 8 i will have to double check and update this post Photos are from Bob Bartos

Brian

www.jerseyfiregrounds.com

DSCN0571.jpg

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

Edited by btshep

Brian, will this be on display this weekend in Wildwood like 11 was last year?

Wow, very nice!!! Good luck with it FDJC!!!

Very very nice i like it alot engine 6 is using former engine 14s Pierce saber at this time

yes it will be on display in wildwood. those pictures were taken right before it left to head that way. JCFD will be taking delivery after the show. You are correct Engine 6 is using the former Engine 14 Pierce. It went from Engine 14 to Engine 6 when the 5 ALF's were delivered and assigned to Engines 19, 14, 2, 11, and Squad 4.

That's Ladder 3 Engine 7 Battalion 3 house up there on Summit ave very impressive firehouse with drive through bays I wonder if ladder 3 will be nicknamed "Rollin Thunder"III :D

Oddly enough that structure was designed for E.S.U. circa 1990 by E.S.U. supervisors and the city architect and engineers. But apparently the FD had a problem with one of their houses at the time that couldn't be repaired so it went to them by default. In hindsight we are kinda glad we didn't get it because of the geographical location. But it is a very nice building with a media room and rooms for training.