Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portsmouth OH Fire Buff

FDNY 62 Truck from Rescue Me

24 posts in this topic

Just watched the newest episode of Rescue Me.. While pulling up to the fire in the apartment building I noticed that 62 Truck has chevrons.. Are you serious???? It seems like they are trying to not look like FDNY, I mean the Pierce Ladder is one thing, then the Chevy Suburban is another but now they have Chevrons on the rear of the truck?

If I'm not mistaken all new apparatus now need chevrons, it just following the rules

If I'm not mistaken all new apparatus now need chevrons, it just following the rules

self insured = **** the rules

Maybe, but it doesn't mean **** safety!

The times have changed....

NFPA 1901 Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus 2009 Edition

REFLECTIVE REQUIREMENTS FOR DOORS

14.1.6 Any door of the apparatus designed to allow persons to enter or exit the apparatus shall have at least 96 in.2 (62,000 mm2) of retroreflective material affixed to the inside of the door.

15.9.3.1* A retroreflective stripe(s) shall be affixed to at least 50 percent of the cab and body length on each side, excluding the pump panel areas, and at least 25 percent of the width of the front of the apparatus.

15.9.3.1.1 The stripe or combination of stripes shall be a minimum of 4 in. (100 mm) in total width.

15.9.3.1.2 The 4 in. (100 mm) wide stripe or combination of stripes shall be permitted to be interrupted by objects (i.e., receptacles, cracks between slats in roll up doors) provided the full stripe is seen as conspicuous when approaching the apparatus.

15.9.3.1.3 A graphic design shall be permitted to replace all or part of the required striping material if the design or combination thereof covers at least the same perimeter length(s) required by 15.9.3.1.

REFLECTIVE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE

15.9.3.2 At least 50 percent of the rear-facing vertical surfaces, visible from the rear of the apparatus, excluding any pump panel areas not covered by a door, shall be equipped with retroreflective striping in a chevron pattern sloping downward and away from the centerline of the vehicle at an angle of 45 degrees.

15.9.3.2.1 Each stripe in the chevron shall be a single color alternating between red and yellow.

15.9.3.2.2 Each stripe shall be 6 in. (150 mm) in width.

15.9.3.3 All retroreflective materials required by 15.9.3.1 and 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the requirements of ASTM D 4956, Standard Specification for Retroreflective Sheeting for Traffic Control, Section 6.1.1 for Type I Sheeting.

15.9.3.3.1 All retroreflective materials used to satisfy the requirements of 15.9.3.1 that are colors not listed in ASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1, shall have a minimum coefficient of retroreflection of 10 with observation angle of 0.2 degrees and entrance angle of −4 degrees.

15.9.3.3.3 Any printed or processed retroreflective film construction used to meet the requirements of 15.9.3.1 and 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the standards required of an integral colored film as specified in ASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1.

REFLECTIVE REQUIREMENTS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THE VEHICLE

19.18.11 Where the design of the aerial device incorporates a knuckle, the knuckle shall be as follows: (1) Equipped with position lights or continuously illuminated by boom lights (2) Painted with reflective paint or provided with retroreflective Striping

19.21.4.3 All stabilizers that protrude beyond the body of the apparatus shall be striped or painted with retroreflective material so as to indicate a hazard or obstruction.

If I can pull this from memory......a standard city rig has 11 rotators, 6 flashers and 4 strobing side lights. All of the striping is reflective and yet people STILL run into us and drive past us like an obstacle course. You can't fix stupid and careless. Personally, I think that chevrons look stupid. I'll be the first to admit that that opinion has NO practical application, just the way I feel about the rigs appearance.

As for the NFPA.....they seem to do a better job of making things more expensive than anything else.

p.s. Rescue Me is embarrassing.

Who cares it just a show. And I am not a member of the FDNY but I agree it is an embarrassment to the FDNY and the fire service in general.

Edited by bvfdjc316

It's a show and even as a emergency management individual I find it entertaining...

And everyday a house is gonna shut down someone goes in to the chiefs office and blackmails him to keep the place open.

It's a show if it was meant to be like real life it would be a documentary.

Just watched the newest episode of Rescue Me.. While pulling up to the fire in the apartment building I noticed that 62 Truck has chevrons.. Are you serious???? It seems like they are trying to not look like FDNY, I mean the Pierce Ladder is one thing, then the Chevy Suburban is another but now they have Chevrons on the rear of the truck?

holyrood-park.jpg

Get outside... enjoy some fresh air. At 14-17 years old, you shouldn't be fretting about such things from a TV show...

JBJ1202 and JohnnyOV like this

HEY!!!! I just realized that EMERGENCY! no one wore bunker pants or 3/4 pull up boots while fighting fires during the day-time!!! So not NFPA!!!

............OH YAH ITS A TV SHOW!!! :blink:

holyrood-park.jpg

Get outside... enjoy some fresh air. At 14-17 years old, you shouldn't be fretting about such things from a TV show...

AMEN!!!!

Cute, Izzy. That was also 40 years ago. Did they even have bunkers back then??

AMEN!!!!

Cute, Izzy. That was also 40 years ago. Did they even have bunkers back then??

They wore bunkers on EMERGENCY. Any alarm after they went to sleep they would turn out in bunker pants. And don't forget those guys from Pasadena, They had that funny yellow stuff.

Emergency was ahead of it's time. They were already wearing their helmets during any response. What dept. mandates that all personnel wear their helmets while responding to any alarm?????

Emergency was ahead of it's time. They were already wearing their helmets during any response. What dept. mandates that all personnel wear their helmets while responding to any alarm?????

And now NFPA says NEVER wear them while responding.

WRONG.

1) Self insured communties have to meet a number of standards set forth by the NYS Insurance offce and the comptrolers office. How much money they must set aside is based on actuarial tables (the same ones used by the insurance companies). If you have poor safety compiance you have to put more money into your self insurance funds.

2) We are self insured which has no bearing on NFPA rules and on the last 3 rigs the manufacturers (Pierce, SVI & Smeal) all said if we did not want something that NFPA required such as chevrons, then we would have to sign a liability waver which stated that not only would we hold them harmless but we would cover any litigation cost they incurred from an accident.

They wore bunkers on EMERGENCY. Any alarm after they went to sleep they would turn out in bunker pants. And don't forget those guys from Pasadena, They had that funny yellow stuff.

Always showed you were an Emergency kinda-guy back in probie school Marc. I remember your lunchbox; you carried it with so much pride.

post-1020-096655600 1282211743.jpg

Always showed you were an Emergency kinda-guy back in probie school Marc. I remember your lunchbox; you carried it with so much pride.

ROFLMAO....He carried that box on the ambulance and engine as well :lol:

If I can pull this from memory......a standard city rig has 11 rotators, 6 flashers and 4 strobing side lights. All of the striping is reflective and yet people STILL run into us and drive past us like an obstacle course. You can't fix stupid and careless. Personally, I think that chevrons look stupid. I'll be the first to admit that that opinion has NO practical application, just the way I feel about the rigs appearance.

As for the NFPA.....they seem to do a better job of making things more expensive than anything else.

p.s. Rescue Me is embarrassing.

Yes sir.

I always thought he looked like "Chet" too.

You mean "The Phantom"??? :lol:

And I'm still waiting for you to return it !!!!!!! And without all the tears....... remember, you made it to captain.

ROFLMAO....He carried that box on the ambulance and engine as well :lol:

And when I had a tough medical emergency, I would look at the lunch box and think, " what would Roy and Johnny due in this situation"????

Edited by LTNRFD

And when I had a tough medical emergency, I would look at the lunch box and think, " what would Roy and Johnny due in this situation"????

That sounds more like another 1980's NR medic...who now is in a Fl. fire/rescue dept.