ONLOCATION

Croton EMS New 55B1

29 posts in this topic

Photo's Taken earlier Today at PL Custom Factory

More Info to Follow

post-2471-058636200 1286340620.jpg

post-2471-092597000 1286340633.jpg

post-2471-093622500 1286340644.jpg

looks great, good luck with it. When is it expected to be delivered/in service?

Delivery within the next 2-3 weeks hopefully inservice unk....yes they flash

Great looking bus. Best of luck with it!

is Verplanck getting a new one ???

If you are referring to the slime green rig next to the Croton one, I believe the side says Eagles (Something) Fire Co.

While I wish you the best of luck with your new truck, I couldn't help but to notice the manufacturer. My Squad in NJ has two 2006 Medallion Type IIIs built by PL. They were delivered in July 2006, and over the last 4 years, they have seen significant OOS time. (I think our engineer calculated an OOS time of a year for one and close to two years for the other. They both came off the assembly line at the same time, yet one is more of a POS than the other. Go figure.) You should expect to have electrical problems galore. Good luck with the mechanics there, too; they'll swear they fixed something, when in actuality, they either put a bandaid on it or didn't fix it in the first place, leading to the inevitable discovery that the truck needs to go OOS for the same problem over and over.

@FFlieu: Try LifeLine! My service has six, we have bought 7? The dealer here in CT has been very good.

Edited by Mark Z

While I wish you the best of luck with your new truck, I couldn't help but to notice the manufacturer. My Squad in NJ has two 2006 Medallion Type IIIs built by PL. They were delivered in July 2006, and over the last 4 years, they have seen significant OOS time. (I think our engineer calculated an OOS time of a year for one and close to two years for the other. They both came off the assembly line at the same time, yet one is more of a POS than the other. Go figure.) You should expect to have electrical problems galore. Good luck with the mechanics there, too; they'll swear they fixed something, when in actuality, they either put a bandaid on it or didn't fix it in the first place, leading to the inevitable discovery that the truck needs to go OOS for the same problem over and over.

Agreed, PL Custom seems to be your go to, low bid for the EMS world, kinda like how E-One used to be, very cheap build and construction. Many, many services have bought PL Customs and I can't name more than 1 that I know about has been satisfied with the results they have received from their investment. In fact I know of several that have sold theirs early (1-3 years after delivery) because they were extremely dissatisfied. As you said, they spend a lot of time OOS and always seem to have a problem that can not be fixed no matter who tries. But then again, many of the problems lie in the specs and not the building, most of the time.......

Like I said, Croton EMS, good luck, hopefully you will have no problems.

But then again, many of the problems lie in the specs and not the building, most of the time.......

There are so few real options on ambulances (since they are built on commercial chassis) that the problems are almost never in the specs. Custom fire trucks are another story.

Edited by Bnechis

Most of the problems with ambulances are electrical problems. You can't spec them, only pick the manufacturer with the best one (unless you are ordering a lot like FDNY or LAFD who can say exactly what they want) The trend I saw in Westchester was Horton-Braun-PL Custom and now Lifeline. All the ones I mentioned before Lifeline agencies didn't go with mainly due to electrical problems they didn't want to deal with again.

PL Custom has had problems with electrical schematics in their units, with each one being different or having none at all. I think their craftsmanship is great, paint is great, innovations are great, especially looking at their flexibility including the Rescue 1 side of the business. They had very strong service for a while, but lost a grip on that.

Lifeline builds a strong module, almost as strong as a tank, with a great electrical system, and excellent dealer (Eastford) service, and that's why you are seeing them more and more.

Multiplexing is going to be good in the future when it's more "plug and play", but mechnics are now electricians, even with the engine and all other OEM systems, and they need to be trained that way. Most other manufacturers who build the "old school" electrical systems are smaller manufacturers that don't have a good rep.

Croton's ambulance looks awesome, much needed, and best of luck with it. Is this the FIRST true "new delivery" to Croton EMS? And this is replacing the Ford/Marque? Or didn't Croton EMS get one from Mount Kisco- is that being kept?

And hopefully Croton EMS will establish a replacement schedule with the village!!

There are so few real options on ambulances (since they are built on commercial chassis) that the problems are almost never in the specs. Custom fire trucks are another story.

I guess I meant construction material and quality of the box and systems. Such as electrical systems, cabinets, paneling etc and not the chassis, however with Fords.... Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by bvfdjc316

This rig will replace the remounted truck like ambulance which will go to Croton PD for their Emergency Response Team (tactical, dive and investigation unit). So yes Seth it replaces the Ford/Marque. As a member of the committee, the committee did a fine job and I wish CEMS the best of luck with the new unit, as I'm no longer affiliated. Hopefully, CEMS will do what we had planned to do, and alternate the rigs monthly to extend the life of the rigs. Good luck with the new rig, and give JT the credit for the UFO type emergency lighting..lol It's definitely a tremendous difference in safety as in lighting and the reflective striping over CEMS present rigs.

Edited by FDVA356

Seth,

There's been a few new ambulances over the years. The current 55B2 was new, the current 55B1 was new, and a couple others were. We had used rigs from both Cortlandt & Peekskill VAC which worked out for us.

As far as the PL Customs, the current 55B2 has been a workhorse, doing what I would assume is close to 600+ calls per year. The only times it's been OOS that I can recall are for PM, the occassional curb endurancy tests and some minor stuff.

As for the 55B1 being replaced - no hard feelings about our little accident in 2007... B)

Edited by Remember585

Agreed, PL Custom seems to be your go to, low bid for the EMS world, kinda like how E-One used to be, very cheap build and construction. Many, many services have bought PL Customs and I can't name more than 1 that I know about has been satisfied with the results they have received from their investment. In fact I know of several that have sold theirs early (1-3 years after delivery) because they were extremely dissatisfied. As you said, they spend a lot of time OOS and always seem to have a problem that can not be fixed no matter who tries. But then again, many of the problems lie in the specs and not the building, most of the time.......

Like I said, Croton EMS, good luck, hopefully you will have no problems.

PL Custom is actually far from a low bid. They are actually one of the most expensive brands that you can buy. If you are looking for low bid, you want something like an AEV or medtec... etc. All of the PL Customs that I know have all been work horses and have lasted quite a while. I have actually been part of a new ambulance build and I found their product and shop to be outstanding. Problems that most people come across with PL are with the power logics system, but stick with the good old fashion rocker switches, and your in the clear. Best of luck Croton with your new rig, and I hope to see it in person soon.

PL Custom is actually far from a low bid. They are actually one of the most expensive brands that you can buy. If you are looking for low bid, you want something like an AEV or medtec... etc. All of the PL Customs that I know have all been work horses and have lasted quite a while. I have actually been part of a new ambulance build and I found their product and shop to be outstanding. Problems that most people come across with PL are with the power logics system, but stick with the good old fashion rocker switches, and your in the clear. Best of luck Croton with your new rig, and I hope to see it in person soon.

Are you referring singularly to your experience with MKVAC or in general? I have ridden on 5 different PL customs with 3 different agencies in 2 different states, all built within the past 7 years, and each and everyone of them has been a bigger piece of garbage then the one before it. In fact, one of their recent deliveries (within weeks) has the rocker switches that you describe and they too have had problems.

At least one of the places I have been replaced their PL Custom within 1-2 years with a different brand due to total dissatisfaction.

I am merely stating my opinion based on the experiences I have had in the various different and unique setting and situations I have found myself in the past 5 years.

Edited by bvfdjc316

If PL is one of the most expensive brands you can buy, then any excuse for their poor craftsmanship just went out the window. And Medtec is now owned by Braun, so in that respect, the low ball brand just trumped the more expensive brand. I just hope Croton has better luck with their PL than we had with ours. There's no excuse for having a rig go OOS for the same thing time and again...

Additionally, why is MKVAC, an agency with an essentially brand new PL Custom selling their 2009 PL Custom (the new one)?

http://www.adirondackfire.com/2009%20PL%20Custom.htm

http://www.1strespondernews.com/webpages/vehicleforsale/vehicle_detail.aspx?id=d7da9ce6-7fa3-4e23-ac9c-f8b1b525f103&VID=&MID=&DID=*

Who the hell cares? All buses suck in one way or another. Lets just hope that they have a spectacular experience with their new investment.

Who the hell cares? All buses suck in one way or another. Lets just hope that they have a spectacular experience with their new investment.

Agreed

I am not trying to fight with anyone here, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.....When it comes to PL Custom and whether or not they build a POS, speak with Spring Hill EMS in Rockland County.....I believe they run between 9000-10000 calls per year, all of their buses of PL, someone correct me if I am wrong, but from what I am told, every 5 years, they remount their PL boxes onto new chassis and then 5 years after that, they then purchase a new PL bus. As far as I know, they have not owned anything other than PL in at least the past 15 years and they have 5 buses in service. Many other vollie EMS agencies on Rockland County have PLs.

The agency I used to ride for 3 PLs. They still have one of them left, it is a 2001 on an E-450 chassis. It does not have the new multiplex electrical system, it has the traditional "flip a switch" system to turn on the lights etc. To date, there has not been any serious issues with that bus. The 2 older PLs were replaced with 2 Horton type 1 ambulances on medium duty International chassis. After a lot of research, with the main focus on safety (Horton is the only American ambulance maker that does crash testing), we decided to write up our specs around Horton specs. Even though the specs went out to bid, no other companies put in a bid on these specs, Horton was the only bid, so they were awarded the contract.

I am not saying that we would not have been happy with a PL. If PL did bid on the specs and win, I know we would have been very satisfied. Being on the ambulance replacement committee for my agency, I spent countless hours studying specs and actual ambulances from many different companies. In my opinion the top 3 companies are, Horton, PL and Medtech. Top 3 chassis Ford F-550 SuperDuty, Dodge RAM 3500 & International/Frieghtliner Medium Duty.

Your going to have to take that up with a member of the VAC. I do however know that it is not due to the products lack of craftsmanship or any major problem. They are in fact in the process of purchasing another PL Custom. Im told its more to do with preferance. Further more, when i was an officer in the VAC, i had nothing but good things to say about the apparatus. We had more FORD issues than anything else. I personally am dissapointed to see the new rig go, but again I am no longer a member so it does not really effect me in any way. Anyway, this is getting quite off topic so best of luck Croton.

If you are referring to the slime green rig next to the Croton one, I believe the side says Eagles (Something) Fire Co.

Its "Eagles Mere." From somewhere between Williamsport, PA and Binghampton, NY.

Just being a font of useless knowledge again. :P

Good luck with the new rig! It looks great! I can't wait to see it when I come back up to visit.

As far as PL's reputation, I've dealt with 3 of them over the last few years. As Mr. Munson stated, Croton's 55B2 has been an all around great rig, and my favorite ambulance by far. Smooth riding (especially compared to the current 55B1), well running, and very dependable. The other two I've been around are Mamaroneck Village EMS' rigs. 19, their older PL, I've always liked. Just like 55B2, while I was a member there, it was always a workhorse. Their newer rig, 10, seemed to always be having problems. It's like anything custom built. It will have its bugs, some worse than others. It's the luck of the draw I guess. Just my two cents.

Art

Thats Eagles Mere EMS