Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy98988

Westchester County NY Firefighter (closing 12/20/10)

91 posts in this topic

last i heard results will be out january...

Did anyone receive their results yet?

It's been exactly 7 months, what the heck is going on?!?!

Maybe some Depts. are applying the Vulcan Decree to them. That could be cause for the delay.

Edited by FirNaTine
BFD1054 and x129K like this

Heard through the grapvine it's unconfirmed that they might throw this test out because of possible cheating on the test

Heard through the grapvine it's unconfirmed that they might throw this test out because of possible cheating on the test

oh great..... so then what happens?

Due to all of the rumors regarding the test I decided to submit a FOIL request to get the facts. Here is the response I received from HR.

I am in receipt of your FOIL request, dated October 14th, regarding the Firefighter Examination #62-909 held March 5, 2011. You requested “the full results of the Firefighter Examination be posted in the public domain within the legal time limit of this FOIL request” and “an explanation of the delay in providing scores to candidates”.

Your request is granted. This department anticipates establishing a new eligible list for Firefighter on or about November 2, 2011. Individual grades will be mailed to candidates, and the new eligible list will be available to the public for review at our HR Reception Desk or via FOIL. A copy of the eligible will be e-mailed to you. As per your FOIL request, this date is “within the legal time limit of this FOIL request”. The Freedom of Information Law mandates the time frames for acknowledgments of FOIL requests (five business days), and up to twenty business days from acknowledgment to grant or deny the request for information.

As for “an explanation of the delay”, although not required by the Freedom of Information Law, please be advised that the current eligible list for Firefighter was established on 11/2/07 and is valid until 11/1/2011. This list has 418 eligible candidates on it. Fire Districts are required to use this list until November 1st. 2011. The establishment of the new list was scheduled so candidates would not lose time from their four year eligibility period.

Edited by Porsha911gt3
wraftery, 99subi, JM15 and 5 others like this

Due to all of the rumors regarding the test I decided to submit a FOIL request to get the facts. Here is the response I received from HR.

Nice job getting some answers !

Has there been any word on when exam results will be released? Were coming on 7 months now since the test was taken. Thanks guys.

This thread should answer all of your questions...

This thread should answer all of your questions...

Yeah this thread said "about a month according to human resources." 6 months later and no results.

Good things come to those who wait..........patiently.

It takes forever to get test results.

Unfortunately Capt they only seem to take forever when they're screwin around with them for whatever reason! There should b no reason why it takes so long the tests are graded with a computer. I have a friend who took an Atlanta PD test and all applicants had their grades before they left the classroom!

BFD1054 likes this

Unfortunately Capt they only seem to take forever when they're screwin around with them for whatever reason! There should b no reason why it takes so long the tests are graded with a computer. I have a friend who took an Atlanta PD test and all applicants had their grades before they left the classroom!

Westchester civil service is notorious for the length of time it takes to get test results. I took the firefighters exam around 1983 and I remember it took at least six months to get the results.

Jm15 If you were asking me that question, no I'm sorry I did not read page 3. I speak from experience of having taken at least 5 Westchester tests, and the FDNY test. All of them had very lengthy waiting periods.

I'm not one for semantics, but does it really matter when they come out, just as long as its before the new list goes into effect? Even if we got them 6 months ago, or even on the date of the exam, we still need to wait for the current list to expire.

However well you did on the test should not effect your life until your name is called to attend the academy. You might want to be a career firemen (as it is my dream as well) but make sure you have a well thought out contingency plan. Set yourself up with a job doing something different, and settle your life. View the exam as "whats done is done," and totally forget about it. Don't put all your eggs into one basket and be severely let down, when there could have been a better opportunity laid out right in front of you.

BFD1054 likes this

Westchester civil service is notorious for the length of time it takes to get test results. I took the firefighters exam around 1983 and I remember it took at least six months to get the results.

Jm15 If you were asking me that question, no I'm sorry I did not read page 3. I speak from experience of having taken at least 5 Westchester tests, and the FDNY test. All of them had very lengthy waiting periods.

No capt I was talking to the original poster :D .. Page 3 on the link I posted had a pretty good synopsis as to the status of the results from the County's Human Resources

For all the impatient and search impaired brethren...

I am in receipt of your FOIL request, dated October 14th, regarding the Firefighter Examination #62-909 held March 5, 2011. You requested “the full results of the Firefighter Examination be posted in the public domain within the legal time limit of this FOIL request” and “an explanation of the delay in providing scores to candidates”.

Your request is granted. This department anticipates establishing a new eligible list for Firefighter on or about November 2, 2011. Individual grades will be mailed to candidates, and the new eligible list will be available to the public for review at our HR Reception Desk or via FOIL. A copy of the eligible will be e-mailed to you. As per your FOIL request, this date is “within the legal time limit of this FOIL request”. The Freedom of Information Law mandates the time frames for acknowledgments of FOIL requests (five business days), and up to twenty business days from acknowledgment to grant or deny the request for information.

As for “an explanation of the delay”, although not required by the Freedom of Information Law, please be advised that the current eligible list for Firefighter was established on 11/2/07 and is valid until 11/1/2011. This list has 418 eligible candidates on it. Fire Districts are required to use this list until November 1st. 2011. The establishment of the new list was scheduled so candidates would not lose time from their four year eligibility period.

efdcapt115 and JohnnyOV like this

All in favor say AYE!

If you and three others call Westchester HR on the same day with the same question, you will get three different people and get three different answers.

This has been the case for many many years. One time we(some of the brothers and myself) took them to State Civil Service commission on a complaint about some shady moves on appointing someone to a position without a test, even though a list was in effect. The state commission said on record that Westchester has a reputation for "bruising the system, but not breaking it."

So how did everyone do....

Im pretty happy considering it was my first exam. I am list number 1## ..anyone know how many took the exam? What list # did they get up to on the last exam?

Edited by FD123

Im pretty happy considering it was my first exam. I am list number 1## ..anyone know how many took the exam? What list # did they get up to on the last exam?

You are in a great position. Congratulations! Now, the only thing against you is your residency. Do some research on departments that do not hire residents first.

You are in a great position. Congratulations! Now, the only thing against you is your residency. Do some research on departments that do not hire residents first.

Thanks :) I will def look at the information on the individual departments..Any idea where to look for that info? .I knew that would happen they do that in Dutchess county to kinda stinks.....I work in Westchester already though does that count?? Just kidding but how did everyone else do?? I want to know how many people took it

Edited by FD123

Got my results as well. I thought I did better but I am very pleased with my position on this list. Not bad for my first one in Westchester.