Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

Mount Vernon Fatal Fire 1990

12 posts in this topic

That Old FDMV Snorkel 1 was a beast. I remember that the territ water stream coming out of that platform was very powerful. Although I understand that the Old Snorkey was somewhat difficult to drive in the narrow streets of Mount Vernon, it was an effective piece of apparatus during its service time in the FDMV

Correction

Some of the following information listed on the photos web site is inaccurate: "Sunday February 25th, 1990 was a cold, windy snowy day when fire broke out at 428 Sth 9th Street in Mount Vernon NY. The fire eventually took 3 buildings as firefighters fought to stop the spread of flames. During the overhaul process, firefighters found the body of Detective Bernie Kennedy, ironically the arson detective for the Mount Vernon police. I believe the case was never solved to this day."

Detective Bernice Kennedy did not die in that fire. He was appointed by Mayor Davis and served for a few years as Deputy Police Commissioner and Commissioner before retiring in 2004.

Correction

Some of the following information listed on the photos web site is inaccurate: "Sunday February 25th, 1990 was a cold, windy snowy day when fire broke out at 428 Sth 9th Street in Mount Vernon NY. The fire eventually took 3 buildings as firefighters fought to stop the spread of flames. During the overhaul process, firefighters found the body of Detective Bernie Kennedy, ironically the arson detective for the Mount Vernon police. I believe the case was never solved to this day."

Detective Bernice Kennedy did not die in that fire. He was appointed by Mayor Davis and served for a few years as Deputy Police Commissioner and Commissioner before retiring in 2004.

Chief, I was questioning that as well. I worked that fire and if I remember correctly the fatal was a resident of the second floor apartment. I believe the house was owned by Detective Kennedy.

Chief I find it hard to believe that even the city of homes would have a police commissioner who was dead for 14 years. LOL :P

That Old FDMV Snorkel 1 was a beast. I remember that the territ water stream coming out of that platform was very powerful. Although I understand that the Old Snorkey was somewhat difficult to drive in the narrow streets of Mount Vernon, it was an effective piece of apparatus during its service time in the FDMV

I thought there were only 3 snorkels in westchester county and bedford hills had snorkel 1 and i thought mt. vernon was snorkel 2 and verplank was snorkel 3. Can someone correct me if im wrong and fill me in.

Edited by BHFD702

I thought there were only 3 snorkels in westchester county and bedford hills had snorkel 1 and i thought mt. vernon was snorkel 2 and verplank was snorkel 3. Can someone correct me if im wrong and fill me in.

Mt.Vernon has its own City numbers for FDMV. It does not use county numbers within the City. Mt. Vernon Snorkel 1 is what most refer to this truck as. Trust me when I tell you that the Snorkel from Mt. Vernon fought a hell of lot of fires in and out of the City.

VERPLANCK was Snorkle 2

Mt.Vernon has its own City numbers for FDMV. It does not use county numbers within the City. Mt. Vernon Snorkel 1 is what most refer to this truck as. Trust me when I tell you that the Snorkel from Mt. Vernon fought a hell of lot of fires in and out of the City.

One that was out of the City: New Rochelle Rd., Chester Heights. Lost a whole block. Snorkel came in and doused a lot of flame....

The fire was arson, started by the ex-boy friend of the first floor tenant. Bernice Kennedy owned the building and lived on the second floor. Bernice and his daughter escaped by jumping out of a second story, rear window. The individual that perished ran into the building and up the stairs to warn Bernice, he was overcome on the landing and died there. We recovered his remains late in the evening of the following day.

Westchester County's Snorkels were:

1 - Bedford Hills....Young

2 - Verplanck........Young

3 - Mount Vernon...Hendrickson

4 - Scarsdale.........American LaFrance