Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Rye E194 Being Donated to WC FTC

25 posts in this topic

According to a local blog, called MyRye, The Rye Fire Department will declare Engine 194 as a 'surplus'. Engine 194 is a 1982 Hahn Top-Mount Pumper and has earned the nickname "Yellowbird". It will be donated to the Fire Training Center. In the blog post, the author refered to saying it was "headed to the dumper". It will be announced at the December 1st Rye City Council meeting.

From the blog post...

1982 Hahn Fire Pumper to the Dumper. The Rye Fire Department has declared its 1982 Hahn Fire Pumper as obsolete. It will be donated to Westchester County to be used in their Fire training program.

Here it is... (my photo)

4751116778_057c16c499_z.jpg

I am glad RFD will donate it and not sell it at auction. I guess the next apparatus for replacement in Rye would be Engine 191 or Utility 39. So, are there any plans to replace or refurbish Engine 191, A 1994 Pierce Lance, or Utility 39, a 1989 International/Saulsbury?

x635 and EmsFirePolice like this

I'm also glad Rye FD will donate this to the training center, hopefully they will make use of it and not let it rot awat like EFD R-5. It's also sad that the training center can't have dedicated training apparatus, spec'd with things like an acrylic see through pump panel, etc. But this top mount looks like a nice engine to train on.

If they were to give it away, I know that there are numerous poor, rural departments that would love to have it.

Thanks for the update!

It's also sad that the training center can't have dedicated training apparatus.

I thought they had an engine and a truck?

I thought they had an engine and a truck?

Yeah, I also thought that Eng 7 & Lad 7 were supposed to be used for training at WCDES AND for coverage on the Grasslands Reservation. Correct me if I am wrong. The last I saw (a couple weeks ago) both of these apparatus were in the Main DES Building Garage (not the Support Services or Operations Garages).

Yellowbird should make a fine training rig for the FTC. It still pumps incredibly well, and drafts like nobody's business. It has actually been considered one of the stronger and better pumps in the department. So assuming it is properly maintained, the only issues are some minor body rot. Hope to see it put to good use.

x635 likes this

Hopefully this replaces the need for area departments to take a front line apparatus out of service to bring down to the FTC to train with engine company operations classes.

Is E194 being replaced or is the designator being taken out of service?

Edited by bvfdjc316

I was with the county officials when they came to inspect it and are very happy to accept this rig because of the 2 stage and top mount panel.I believe it just wasn't used and they have E 193 (Sutphen) as a spare. E 191 is going to be the next rig replaced in the future since it is a first line rig.

Hopefully this replaces the need for area departments to take a front line apparatus out of service to bring down to the FTC to train with engine company operations classes.

Is E194 being replaced or is the designator being taken out of service?

Wouldn't it be better to train on your own rigs? Say for driver training and just for principle? Plus how are your guys going to get down to the training center, you wouldn't make them all drive down there on their own gas/cars would you?

Wouldn't it be better to train on your own rigs? Say for driver training and just for principle? Plus how are your guys going to get down to the training center, you wouldn't make them all drive down there on their own gas/cars would you?

I was more referring to the various FFI, FFII, Engine Company Operations, etc classes that require a 1 pumper for various students from all over the county. If there are people from departments A, B, C, D, E, F, G in a FFI class they will not all be using their own departments engine for all of their live fire and hose advancement classes. Having a dedicated engine for training classes at the training center would mean the various firefighters in the class from Departments A, B, C, D, E, F, and G would have constant access to a functional engine to train with their while at the same time keeping an engine from one of those departments in-service in district to provide its services to the people who paid for it.

For example, my FFI class at the WCFTC had an engine from Sleepy Hollow, Bedford, Somers and I believe Katonah come down and supply handlines for our use while training in the burn buildings. Having the former Rye engine at the FTC would eliminate the need to take any of these rigs out of service out of district for training the FFI class.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Well done Rye F.D.! This engine will be a big help, as we are always scrambling for additional apparatus at the Academy.

Thank you for your generous gift!

just wondering---if it is still usefull to the Counry, why is Rye getting rid of it?? just wondering dont read anything into the statement. just wondering.

Well done Rye F.D.! This engine will be a big help, as we are always scrambling for additional apparatus at the Academy.

Thank you for your generous gift!

More generous than they may know..............Rye's ISO rating states they need a minimum of 3,500 gpm on their frontline engines and a spare. This will affectivly eliminate the points for a spare.

Edited by Bnechis
firefighter36 likes this

Someone posted before that they had E-193 as a spare and isn't used as a frontline apparatus?

Someone posted before that they had E-193 as a spare and isn't used as a frontline apparatus?

That doesn't mater to ISO. call it what you want, unless they have at least a 2,000 gpm and a 1,500 gpm pump 1st line then they need 3 engines and a spare. If they want to call it 2 frontline and 2 spare, thats ok with ISO, but you need to hit the numbers.

Thaks for the clarification Cap your knowledge of ISO is amazing.... I am not very knowledgeable about Rye's operations so someone correct me if I am wrong. They have Engines 191,192 as frontline and Engine 193 as a spare? According to Bnechis they need 4 engines to meet their ISO requirements.

Edited by JM15
firedude likes this

Engines 191-193 are all 1500 gpm pumpers.

Thaks for the clarification Cap your knowledge of ISO is amazing.... I am not very knowledgeable about Rye's operations so someone correct me if I am wrong. They have Engines 191,192 as frontline and Engine 193 as a spare? According to Bnechis they need 4 engines to meet their ISO requirements.

Thanks. Its not according to me. RFD asked me to review their fleet for ISO and how changes would affect the ISO. The 3 engines and a spare came right from ISO's Improvment statement of RFD.

x635 and firedude like this

I was more referring to the various FFI, FFII, Engine Company Operations, etc classes that require a 1 pumper for various students from all over the county. If there are people from departments A, B, C, D, E, F, G in a FFI class they will not all be using their own departments engine for all of their live fire and hose advancement classes. Having a dedicated engine for training classes at the training center would mean the various firefighters in the class from Departments A, B, C, D, E, F, and G would have constant access to a functional engine to train with their while at the same time keeping an engine from one of those departments in-service in district to provide its services to the people who paid for it.

For example, my FFI class at the WCFTC had an engine from Sleepy Hollow, Bedford, Somers and I believe Katonah come down and supply handlines for our use while training in the burn buildings. Having the former Rye engine at the FTC would eliminate the need to take any of these rigs out of service out of district for training the FFI class.

Many times at the fire academy, multiple evolutions with multiple depts, are taking place, so that is why depts need to help out and supply apparatus.

While you make a good point about keeping the apparatus in service for the people who pay for it, for all the times rigs are out of service or out of the community, I would think training is easy to justify.

Many times at the fire academy, multiple evolutions with multiple depts, are taking place, so that is why depts need to help out and supply apparatus.

While you make a good point about keeping the apparatus in service for the people who pay for it, for all the times rigs are out of service or out of the community, I would think training is easy to justify.

Captain, I was only really referring to the FFI/FFII classes where E194 can be used and shared with all of the on-site training classes thus eliminating the need have individual departments take an engine out of service out of district to be used by trainees.

If any department schedules a department wide drill at the FTC, obviously that department should bring their own apparatus.

More generous than they may know..............Rye's ISO rating states they need a minimum of 3,500 gpm on their frontline engines and a spare. This will affectivly eliminate the points for a spare.

Good thing the ISO review was done before we got rid of it. Now we have almost 10 years before they come back to look again. Maybe we will get a new 2000 gpm engine before that.

x635 likes this

Captain, I was only really referring to the FFI/FFII classes where E194 can be used and shared with all of the on-site training classes thus eliminating the need have individual departments take an engine out of service out of district to be used by trainees.

If any department schedules a department wide drill at the FTC, obviously that department should bring their own apparatus.

Not disagreeing with you, BUT...

We just had 3 ff-1 classes going at the same time: 1 assigned live fire, 1 doing water supply, and 1 doing hose streams, so it isnt as easy as it seems. We need the engine, and it will save some depts from having to go long distances. I welcome the idea of a second engine to help us all out at the fire academy.

as a side note most dept's ask to be used at the academy while a ff-1 or ff-2 class is going on, as their own members do benefit from the experience IE: pumping, driving to and from, foam ops, radio communications etc.

Danger and x635 like this

Good thing the ISO review was done before we got rid of it. Now we have almost 10 years before they come back to look again. Maybe we will get a new 2000 gpm engine before that.

Good thing they send a short survey form to the chief each year asking if all the apparatus and stations are still in-service.

The chief could always lie, but I think that might violate some NYS laws regarding insurance fraud.

x635 likes this

Good thing they send a short survey form to the chief each year asking if all the apparatus and stations are still in-service.

The chief could always lie, but I think that might violate some NYS laws regarding insurance fraud.

Technically as long as the county is still using it, it would be in service right ;)

Considering that it was quite a stretch to say E 193 was " In service" and ISO counted that as the 3rd engine to reach 3500 gpm, How hard would it be to say nothing has changed.

x635 likes this

Technically as long as the county is still using it, it would be in service right ;)

But not in the district they are rating and no longer property of the district.

Considering that it was quite a stretch to say E 193 was " In service" and ISO counted that as the 3rd engine to reach 3500 gpm, How hard would it be to say nothing has changed.

Good point. but as long as it was sitting there, ISO counted it inservice,