Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Mount Vernon FD Out Of Town Hiring List

15 posts in this topic

A guy asked me yesterday what the status is of the out of town list for Mount Vernon, I wasn't sure but I told him that the "In Town List" has been established and at this point i do not believe the agility was given for the non residents>if anyone can add to this please do so. Thanks jjc

A guy asked me yesterday what the status is of the out of town list for Mount Vernon, I wasn't sure but I told him that the "In Town List" has been established and at this point i do not believe the agility was given for the non residents>if anyone can add to this please do so. Thanks jjc

Any word on the Mount Vernon Test?

Here's the scoop the way I understand it: At this point the "In Town list has been established', The out of Town list I do not believe has because there has been no agility. Now the question might be raised if they are going to even have an agility? Should they even bother? It costs $ to issue the written exams as well as the agility. So it might end up that all of you "Out of Towners" approx 170 of you who passed the written helped pay for the cost of the written/agility tests for the "In Town" list. If my math is correct 170x25= $4250.00. is it fair? Is it a good experience just to take the test? Now that the city Council has passed a resolution to charge "out of towners" $75.00 to take any exam it could be a good money maker for Mount Vernon. 170x75= $12,750 not bad! Thats the number (170) who have passed,not sure how many failed and paid the fee to take the test.

Are "out of towners" not given equal opportunity (discriminated against), to get on the job because of where they live??

If this is true maybe the "out of towners" should all get together and file a lawsuit. It would be just one of many against that City. I.M.O. it shouldn't matter where one lives, the best qualified candidate should be hired. We're talkin about peoples lives and property here so why not hire the best person for the Job regardless of where one lives. Does one's residency make them a better firefighter? Don't think so! I've seen it first hand on my Job in fact there's more "out of towners" who show more of an interest in their Job then longtime residents. Just take a look at FDNY, one of, if not the greatest FD's in the World and where do a majority of their members live. Municipalities should be looking for "quality" not "quantity" and 'quotas" to fill their ranks, otherwise everyone is goin to get hurt in the long run especially those we protect and pay our salaries.

x635 likes this

If this is true maybe the "out of towners" should all get together and file a lawsuit. It would be just one of many against that City. I.M.O. it shouldn't matter where one lives, the best qualified candidate should be hired. We're talkin about peoples lives and property here so why not hire the best person for the Job regardless of where one lives. Does one's residency make them a better firefighter? Don't think so! I've seen it first hand on my Job in fact there's more "out of towners" who show more of an interest in their Job then longtime residents. Just take a look at FDNY, one of, if not the greatest FD's in the World and where do a majority of their members live. Municipalities should be looking for "quality" not "quantity" and 'quotas" to fill their ranks, otherwise everyone is goin to get hurt in the long run especially those we protect and pay our salaries.

Yonkers hires almost exclusively from there 'Resident' list. It is not in any way, shape or form against ANY law to establish a resident list.

Yonkers hires almost exclusively from there 'Resident' list. It is not in any way, shape or form against ANY law to establish a resident list.

Who said it was against any Law? What I'm saying is does it really matter where one lives when seeking to become a FF or a Police Officer. If I'm a taxpayer I wan't the best person for the Job protecting me and my family regardless of where they live. Let's face it many get a residence just to take the test and then leave in a year to live elsewhere. Not too many employees live anymore in the municipality they work for even those who were long time residents. Look at FD's in Connecticut. Many don't have residency requirements just one eligibility list. I'd rather hire a guy who's number one on an out of town list then a guys who's #150 on an in town list. Just my opinion.

Edited by FirNaTine

Who said it was against any Law? What I'm saying is does it really matter where one lives when seeking to become a FF or a Police Officer. If I'm a taxpayer I wan't the best person for the Job protecting me and my family regardless of where they live. Let's face it many get a residence just to take the test and then leave in a year to live elsewhere. Not too many employees live anymore in the municipality they work for even those who were long time residents. Look at FD's in Connecticut. Many don't have residency requirements just one eligibility list. I'd rather hire a guy who's number one on an out of town list then a guys who's #150 on an in town list. Just my opinion.

You can't sue unless you violate a law. There is no law broken. You can't sue.

There are Federal laws about "Equal Opportunity" employment. If a certain practice is never challenged because "it's always been that way" then one might never right a wrong.

Edited by Lucifer

You have to prove violation of a protected status for an eeo suit. Federal that's only 8, but in NYS you have 13 different groups to try and find a bias. Even if the list doesn't specifically prevent one of the 13 groups you still can get them through "disparate impact".

Since when? Law suits are civil litigation, not criminal. What law was broken in the McDonalds Hot Coffee suit? You can sue anybody for anything, just need to convince a judge it has merit.

There are Federal laws about "Equal Opportunity" employment. If a certain practice is never challenged because "it's always been that way" then one might never right a wrong.

Yes but in this case there is already a Federal Court Consent Agreement that alows the practice in MV, NR, WP & Yonkers.

You have to prove violation of a protected status for an eeo suit. Federal that's only 8, but in NYS you have 13 different groups to try and find a bias. Even if the list doesn't specifically prevent one of the 13 groups you still can get them through "disparate impact".

There is no disparate impact for residence, only for protected classes.

Enough of the firehouse lawyers. The Federal courts ordered that they have seperate in town & out of town lists.

True. Employment laws are very strange. There was a case recently where someone was fired for wearing a sports jersey of a team her manager didn't like. But [Eagles] fans aren't a protected group.

Last I checked it was illegal to take someones money and then renege on a deal. They signed up and paid to take a test including an agility, so how can a municipality cancel part of their deal cause they don't feel like given the other half of the test. Give the out of towners back their money or make good on your end and give the agility. Lets face it the "picking pool" in some towns starts to deteriorate after awhile so why not open the exam to others.

Even if you were to compile a case to go to civil court, the amount of money you'll spend on lawyer and legal fees, you'll be in debt for the rest of your life if you get hired with the FD... almost not even worth it