Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - Rombout Fire District - 266 Windsor Rd - 12/26/10

17 posts in this topic

These are photos of Rombout Fire Departments structure fire that occurred at 226 Windsor Rd just before midnight on Sunday. Firefighters arrived to find fire through the roof of a ~ 4500 sq ft residence with high winds, heavy snow, white-out conditions, and near zero wind chill ...... Perfect weather for firefighting....... Firefighters apparently attempted an interior attack but were forced to retreat due to insufficent water and rapid fire spread due to the high winds...... I arrived as Command advised that they were going defensive....... I had a tough time keeping my lens free of snow and debris due to the high winds and only shot with one of two cameras I normally shoot with as a result...... This was clearly a frustrating fire for all who were there.....

1139085595_uLYVN-XL.jpg

A shot from the front...... Hughsonvilles FAST Team and Village of Fishkill......

1139088013_YUmwF-XL.jpg

It was snowing heavily and very windy.......

1139096014_PZP5F-XL.jpg

Hey, I found a hot spot........

1139102927_hp3yf-XL.jpg

A shot from the rear..... These guys were inside under the fire but had to pull out due to rapidly deteriorating conditions......

1139119837_wa9qX-XL.jpg

Insurmountable odds.....

1139147304_c4T7Q-XL.jpg

With the wind fanning the fire and water issues.... Crews were ordered to pull back their lines and were clearly frustrated that they were defeated .....

1139162143_xdkaM-XL.jpg

This is shot of the Central Hudson gas man..... He had just retrieved the power meter but said "I killed the power but It's up to guys to turn off the gas.... It's too damn hot!"

1139175550_DiWJC-XL.jpg

While a tanker shuttle was being initiated, Rombout's Tower gets set up......

1139197357_CEr79-XL.jpg

Village of Fishkill firefighters watch as 62-45 hits the fire......

1139206563_F7DNs-XL.jpg

The end.....

Here's a very short video I shot...... The weather made shooting so difficult that I wasn't able to do much more than basic photography..... Click on the image and it should open in a new window...... I gives you an idea of what they were up against......

1140140565_HN9AK-L.jpg

Edited by Photounit

Looks like a tough one to fight with all the snow on the ground, more so with water issues,its a damn shame. Nice shots! glad to see some from you again!

x635 likes this

Awesome shots! Looks like some very tough conditions! Glad to see you back sharing your talent with us here!

Awesome shots Chief! Glad to see you post on here again!

x635 likes this

Bill, great shots as always brother.

Its a damn shame when anyone loses their home, but even more so during the holidays. Was the family home at the time, were there any injuries?

The firefighters definately had mother nature working against them all the way!

x635 likes this

That first picture with everyone standing in the snow with their lights on is pretty cool. Should be framed in the firehouse.

x635 likes this

Thanks everybody...... X2321, It's good to see you participating here!

x635 likes this

Great Pictures Bill!!! Looks like a real tough one to extinguish. Thanks for the pics.

Who is this PHOTOUNIT character ??

Character? That's the nicest thing I've been called in the last 24 hrs....... :D